Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brakes on a 58 bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: brakes on a 58 bus Reply with quote

i recently bought a 58 bus! ...and it currently has a 65/66 trans axle setup. i want to redo the entire brake system as it has been sitting for 20+ yrs. i am also planning on using a 1500sp with the big nut tranny.

my question is what year brake kit do i want? i would assume i want to use a 66 brake line kit however not sure everything fits correctly on a 58. is the configuration i'm thinking of going to work? Also, any thoughts on where to buy good aftermarket brake kits? thanks.
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your front beam is original, you need to get brakes for that, 58, and you need to get brakes for a big nut tranny in the rear

as far a brake lines I think they are all the same

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any pictures of your 58?
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to wolfsburg west website and you can see all the stock replacements, if you want aftermarket stuff check out airkewld

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spiderjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the metal lines go the best way is to pull the lines and measure them. Assuming of course that they are correct now and are all there. I am not up on all the different setups for the Buses but I have seen at least two different setups on swing axle bugs.
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your input... 58 for the front and 66 for the rear was the conclusion i was coming to while i was looking for parts. it does look like the brake lines will work for like 55-67. so i should be ok. i'll just double check with the company i order from but wanted some experiienced second opinion.

just curious if having a consistent setup (66 axles both in front and back) is better (safety-wise) or does it not matter if I'm mixing and matching the years of the axles (58 and 66)?
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwserphguy wrote:
thanks for your input... 58 for the front and 66 for the rear was the conclusion i was coming to while i was looking for parts. it does look like the brake lines will work for like 55-67. so i should be ok. i'll just double check with the company i order from but wanted some experiienced second opinion.

just curious if having a consistent setup (66 axles both in front and back) is better (safety-wise) or does it not matter if I'm mixing and matching the years of the axles (58 and 66)?

it would be cheaper, early front wheel cylinders are expensive

bugnut68 wrote:
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that you go with a later model frontend, with the larger drums. Seventy percent of the brakeage is at the front brakes, so you need to update it to conform with the rear brakes. Also, the wheel cylinders will cost a lot less and the link pins will be thicker.
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey campy come to live oak and fix bruce's bus before it goes to colorado lol i got the bus in orland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
I would recommend that you go with a later model frontend, with the larger drums. Seventy percent of the brakeage is at the front brakes, so you need to update it to conform with the rear brakes. Also, the wheel cylinders will cost a lot less and the link pins will be thicker.

This is a good idea, but I'm running an early front end with a big nut trans, and can stop on a dime.
I got the Varga front cylinders and I'm two years in with nary a leaked drop of brake fluid.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: