Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I need to replace the fuel lines in my 84 Vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy I appreciate you looking out for me. He is a respectd Sambanista. Brake lines great, new rear axle and CVs and new front calipers. I trust him very much and he knows what he is doing. Does it frequently. Because I travel alone he is onto the very safe aspect of it all. He tries to teach me the mechanics but I'm not overly interested in it all more than to realize something is wrong and perhaps how serious. I travel highways mostly and local roads sometimes.

Don't worry about me. Its cute but a wee bit , well its not necessary Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Daizee... Shocked ...never mind Rolling Eyes ..........
lauraemarie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: firewall adapter part Reply with quote

Hi All, I've been reading over this thread from beginning to end becauseI'm about to embark (ok, my husband and i are about to embark) on the job of replacing the fuel lines. We are both completely inexperienced at this. I'm pretty sure we're going with the kit from vancafé, but i have 2 questions....

1- is the hose they supply FI rated hose? (i'm asking thefolks at vancafe as well, but thought i'd go ahead and see if anyone here knows)

2-i saw someone else on this thread asked the same question and no one answered yet...what's up with the firewall adapter part? should i get it or what?

I'd love to hear what y'all have to say and much gratitude in advance. You all are lifesavers...maybe even literally Wink
1*4*3*2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey laura how did your instalation go? i just got my van and figured i should order a kit from van-cafe, it should be here on friday!
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: firewall adapter part Reply with quote

lauraemarie wrote:
... We are both completely inexperienced at this. ...

you may want to pressure wash parts of it before this to make sure it is clean

run the thing low on fuel; park it & disconnect the battery(!)

jack it up & put it on jack stands - put the jack, spare tires, etc. under there as additional safety should it fall - never never use concrete blocks - big wooden timbers are ok as long as they can't tilt or come down

have a cell phone handy - in a pocket or your hand, ready to call 911

push & pull on the van to make sure it is solid on the stands

then your husband can go underneath to pull things loose (this is pretty much the reason you have a husband, right?)

drain the fuel into a big metal tub & set that far away - you can filter it and use it in a lawnmower or something

you want to replace the big metal can fuel filter at this time

throw away the little square plastic thing & use a metal can

most tanks (unsure re Vanagon) have a metal mesh screen inside the tank - replace that

good time to drop the tank (inspect for rust or debris and maybe clean/recoat) & to replace the emissions hoses; check the vapor tanks & clean repair all rust in those areas

also inspect cable runs, other non-fuel hoses, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: