Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rimco / Fat Performance / Hilldebrandt Machine
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Rimco / Fat Performance / Hilldebrandt Machine Reply with quote

I had heads resurfaced at Rimco and shortly after that some welding done on a case. I only went there, 'cause that place was highly recommended to me for the quality work done.

The first time already, I thought the sales person had some problem or a bad day. I didn't say anything - thought to give him a break.

Second time got worse. I don't know what his problem is, but every time I asked a friendly question I got an attitude like I had to be thankful that they did it for me and was allowed some price to pay for it.

I actually was so irritated with the guy that I drafted a letter Dennis Hildebrandt with a pretty neutral account of the unpleasant experience I repeatedly had over there.
Well, I decided not to be such an ass. I will just never go there and not recommend that place. I actually found here as well, that some people find their work questionable and rates too high.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gurus I listen to love Rimcos work, so I'd use them First I believe.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rimco VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Appology Reply with quote

Atlantic,

I would first like to thank you for your business. Whether your a first time customer or one that is in here several times a week, customer service should be of the utmost importance.
I would like to appologize to you for being treated like this. I am so glad that I ran accros this because I need to address this right away.
I do believe we have superior quallity (a little bias) and funny that you mention the price, we sat down this morning to adjust prices and get a printable list on our web page.
I would still like to hear any details that you have. I am always open to question, comment and concerns. If we do not serve the customers need than we go out of business. It is as simple as that!
Again, I appologize on behalf of RIMCO.

Any question, comment or concerns please e-mail at [email protected]

Thank you,
Dennis Hildebrandt
714-549-0357
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, ive never used Rimco but sounds like they are good company that cares about their customers unlike alot of companies now a days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised to see you here Dennis.
Good to know that you guys care! I appreciate your concern and the fact that you take my experience serious. I talked to few others at the meets I attend and it seems that your reputation for the actual work is great. So that's good to know - I'll know for myself in some 70,000mi or so Smile

In regards to what annoyed me, you could read in my earlier post, I decided to not complain to you - well, things always go different than planned. You know now and and I leave it at this ...

Thx again for your understanding reply!
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Rimco to have my Type 3 carbs re-bushed. Work was done and returned in the time stated and was done right. I'll use them again.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats up with the rimco website? Been down for a while now, are they still in business?

I got the newsletter last week and no answer to parts and labor inquiry since then. Unable to reach via phone either.

Has another great aircooled resource bitten the dust?
Rimco VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: RIMCO VW MACHINE SHOP Reply with quote

HELLO FELLOW VW ENTHUSIASTS, RIMCO VW MACHINE SHOP HAS BEEN SERVING THE VW COMMUNITY FOR OVER 40 YEARS , AND HAS NO INTEREST IN STOPING NOW. ALTHOUGH WE HAVE MOVED FROM OUR OLD SANTA ANA BUILDING, INTO THE NEWER SANTA FE SPRINGS BUILDING BACK IN MARCH THIS YEAR. THE NEWER ADDRESS IS 12951 SUNNYSIDE PL. SANTA FE SPRINGS , CA. 90670. THE NEW PHONE NUMBER IS 562-946-3100 OR 1-855-RIMCOVW. WE HAVE FOUND OUT THE DILEMA ON THE WEB-SITE PROBLEM, AND WILL BE FIXED AND UP IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. PEOPLE, IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ABOUT RIMCO, CALL RIMCO !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear.
nwvwmikel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: My 2 cents worth.... Reply with quote

I would like to here any stories GOOD or BAD on Rimco. My story is not good!

As far as I am concerned their customer service bites the big one! I will go into my issue a bit... I spent hard earned cash with them only to get hosed. I purchased all the parts to complete a 2275 engine, had them machine the case. When the case arrived there was weld spatter in a few of the lifter bores. I called them sent them photos and ultimately sent it back. They sent me a new one!! Cool.... Now 2000 miles later I have torn down the engine only to find cam and lifter issues... Can you say ZDDP is your best friend. I can. I decided to send the rotating assembly out to be checked, only to be told that the flywheel has runout caused by the crank. No wonder I had such a problem setting up the end play!! My local machinist told me to call Rimco and let them know. I did, I sent all parts back and waited, and waited some more. I was then told they sent the crank back to the manufacturer. I waited more. When I started to raise heck I was told, "do you want me to help you out here or send your parts back and not do anything", I waited some more. This is when I was flat lied too. They never sent them out. How do I know this? I did some homework, it seems the crank mfg won't even sell them parts anymore. Homework pays off again. After waiting some more I called and was told, "oh the mfg won't do anything”. I'm sending your parts back. Now if Rimco was a reputable company, at this time they should have fixed the issue. After all they are supposed to be MACHINE SHOP! It is an easy fix for most any machine shop,bot noooooo they didn't even check it out!!!! If anyone would like to add anything to this please feel free... If you do decide to do business with them keep good notes and stay on top of them. It is not the Riddle Machine Company any more.. They SUCK hind end.

I would love to hear your version of this Patrick.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents worth.... Reply with quote

nwvwmikel wrote:

As far as I am concerned their customer service bites the big one! I will go into my issue a bit... I spent hard earned cash with them only to get hosed. I purchased all the parts to complete a 2275 engine, had them machine the case.

Who provided the parts ? you or rimco?

did you only have them machine the case?

Who assembled the engine?

you said you set the end play? why didn't you notice run out then?
Who torqued the flywheel on?
Csaba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents worth.... Reply with quote

nwvwmikel wrote:

As far as I am concerned their customer service bites the big one! I will go into my issue a bit... I spent hard earned cash with them only to get hosed. I purchased all the parts to complete a 2275 engine, had them machine the case. When the case arrived there was weld spatter in a few of the lifter bores. I called them sent them photos and ultimately sent it back. They sent me a new one!! Cool.... Now 2000 miles later I have torn down the engine only to find cam and lifter issues... Can you say ZDDP is your best friend. I can. I decided to send the rotating assembly out to be checked, only to be told that the flywheel has runout caused by the crank. No wonder I had such a problem setting up the end play!! My local machinist told me to call Rimco and let them know. I did, I sent all parts back and waited, and waited some more. I was then told they sent the crank back to the manufacturer. I waited more. When I started to raise heck I was told, "do you want me to help you out here or send your parts back and not do anything", I waited some more. This is when I was flat lied too. They never sent them out. How do I know this? I did some homework, it seems the crank mfg won't even sell them parts anymore. Homework pays off again. After waiting some more I called and was told, "oh the mfg won't do anything”. I'm sending your parts back. Now if Rimco was a reputable company, at this time they should have fixed the issue. After all they are supposed to be MACHINE SHOP! It is an easy fix for most any machine shop,bot noooooo they didn't even check it out!!!! If anyone would like to add anything to this please feel free... If you do decide to do business with them keep good notes and stay on top of them. It is not the Riddle Machine Company any more.. They SUCK hind end.

I would love to hear your version of this Patrick.

It sounds like you should have done your homework before you built your engine.

Once you decide that everything is alright to assemble (by checking everything, of course), you take on the responsibility of the builder.

If something is not right, that is the time to send it back to make it right.

If something doesn't fit properly, and you put it together anyway, the responsibility is yours, not the machinists.

This sounds a lot like a blame scenario instead of a suck it up and learn something scenario
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Rimco even around anymore? I tried to go to their web-site and my browser could not find them also they no longer advertise in Hot VW's. What's up with them?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Website
http://www.rimcovw.com/

I noticed it's not working right now, probably a temporary issue.

Ads on this site
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Rimco+VW
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everett. I called them this morning and talked to the receptionist, she said they were having issues with their website that they are working on.
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON"T BUY PARTS FROM THEM!!!!! The story goes...I got my machine work done by them no problem and looked good as always. I also ordered the assembly kit off there website at the same time. They advertise bearings and all for $110, and free shipping if purchased when you get the machine work done http://www.rimcovw.com/products/ When I received my order they charged me $146 for the parts, not $110 like is posted on their web site. I called and talked to Dan twice about the issue and both times he said "everything looks right to me" bull shit Dan, so I sent an email to talk to someone else and explained...nothing, notta.

So if your needing machine work, there okay, well I haven't assembled my engine yet.... but as for any parts, look else where folks. Thanks Dan your swell....now where's my $36
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your brgs carefully. IF they alignbored or cut the thrust area, the "out of the box" brgs will not fit right.
They machine the case to require a custom machined brg.
nwvwmikel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Customer Dis-service at it's best. Reply with quote

I only blame them for less than sub par customer service and not being honest with me... I thought they were a MACHINE SHOP and could measure for run out and advise me... 2nd opinion remember! I had no problem paying them to do this. They couldn't even perform that service in the month and a half they had the parts.. I took my licks and learned a valuable lesson.!!! Deal with someone that cares. Customer service is not charging someone $146 for parts that should have been $110.. A simple phone call or email and the customer would be happy! Prices do change, however customer service shouldn't.
volksnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Customer Dis-service at it's best. Reply with quote

nwvwmikel wrote:
Customer service is not charging someone $146 for parts that should have been $110.. A simple phone call or email and the customer would be happy! Prices do change, however customer service shouldn't.

I talked to him about it by phone twice, and email once, well it went on deaf ears by email...but he couldn't tell me, he just said looks good to me. I would have understood "Oh we need to fix that, the price went up" Anything but looks good to me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Rimco service Reply with quote

I phoned Rimco and spoke to Dan about purchasing some pistons with valve pockets cut. We discussed the various pistons that are available, the prices, etc, and the fact that my Beetle is primarily a street Beetle, except for some Friday night Street Legal racing. He said he would phone around for Mahle B piston prices and to call him back in an hour (they have a toll free line).

I phoned back an hour later and he had the price for new Mahles and a good price for cutting the notches with their CNC program.

One week later they arrived at my house, international delivery, via UPS. The notches are all correctly paired with the arrows pointing to the flywheel for the opposed pistons.

Excellent service, and would recommend Rimco to any international customers.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: