Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

F4u5T Roadster *Build Thread*
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: F4u5T Roadster *Build Thread* Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the support rail in place

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get any measurements for your bolt centers before you took it

apart Question Maybe you could verify the accuracy of this

[img]
[/img]

It is supposed to be for a ghia Question Exclamation
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check tomorrow, if this is right you will save me a great amount of work.
I have been using the remnants of the original pans to work off of then cross checking against the body, however I just got the body up where I could get a measurement yesterday Sad so the rail is only "tacked in "
Ill check it against the body tomorrow after work, Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F4u5T wrote:
I will check tomorrow, if this is right you will save me a great amount of work.
Thanks

This is what this place is all about.....hope it works and if it does report

back what you find
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those dimensions dont match anywhere close to what I'm seeing. I have 1365 all the way to the bend at the front, from there the first hole is 1317 then 1057 and 802 moving toward the front, all center to center.
From those numbers I think you may have the layout for a bug Question
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F4u5T wrote:
those dimensions dont match anywhere close to what I'm seeing. I have 1365 all the way to the bend at the front, from there the first hole is 1317 then 1057 and 802 moving toward the front, all center to center.
From those numbers I think you may have the layout for a bug Question

Dam, must be for a bug, surely there is a version for the ghia floating around somewhere.
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, Ill make one if not
Dead on 1365
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Guys,
I need your advise now. I got my doors back from mediablast today.

Basically I have a hook up in a "machine shop" with a media blasting booth, a big one - they make mining equipment. I have my reservations mainly due to hearing so many bad stories with blasting, and knowing that these guys dont do 40 year old cars everyday - but I thought I may aswell try the doors because they were banged up quite a bit anyway from holding the car together for a while, I figured I may change em out anyway.
Never had anything blasted before and not sure what to expect I guess, however the metal was cool to touch right after it was blasted, I cant see any "warping" or anything like that.
- but they are VERY rough to touch, I hit em with some 220 grit paper and it seemed to get most of it, I guess I was thinking they would come back perfectly polished heheh Rolling Eyes what can I say hehehe

Anyway what do you guys think, should I do the whole car?

slafa
Samba Member

Location: Where getting a real beer is like winning the lotto

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey F4u5T, I love that moniker by the way, my understanding (which is minimal at best) is that sandblasting can warp stuff but media blasting is totally ok for body panels...the doors look killer and if it was me and I had a hookup I would def do the whole car Cool

But hey I know jack about blasting Embarassed
1983 Ford 350 Econoline Ambulance
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
various Honda, GMC daily drivers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I dont see any damage really and its gotta be better than pink right? Cool
Everett can hook you up with a title too, just PM him and ask, you can make it whatever apparently
chrisghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys I have the same problem with my ghia.I dont have any referance points . So if ayone has some measurments that would be great.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit it on the head when you mentioned that your hook-up doesn't do classic cars they do industrial mining equipment.

Blasting, I believe is the best way to go if you can since it leaves the massive mess somewhere else (that's gotta score points with the wife or gf at the very least) and it's more thorough than manually grinding and inhaling the fall out.

Problem is the blaster has to KNOW what they are doing and based upon the media they are using. Sand blasting can warp panels if they are careless. If the panel is a larger open-span one (think beetle door) it's very easily warped because it's unsupported, flat and relatively thin.

The Ghia by way of comparison is slightly thicker steel on the body and doors than the Beetle EXCEPT for the rear cowl behind the rear window. This area is easily warped on the Ghia so be warned (read: tell your hook-up to watch this area..).

Tell your media blaster this:
"If you should see any signs of body filler, STOP! Don't focus on removing it just skip over and carry on with anything else..."

The presence of body filler will cause the blaster to want to "dig in" and get it all off and result in more warping issues to solve for you as a result of them wanting to do the job right.
It's far better for you to later-on maually remove any body fillers if needed than to have them try to blow it away and cause more problems.

The resulting metal being etched by the blasting process is sometimes helpful for such coatings as POR or KBS on the chassis. On the body you can skim over the panels with a rolloc disc or finer paper as you have done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="[email protected]"]
"Blasting, I believe is the best way to go if you can since it leaves the massive mess somewhere else (that's gotta score points with the wife or gf at the very least) and it's more thorough than manually grinding and inhaling the fall out."

Ok, thanks for the info but that being said, where does blasting compare to acid dipping? (probably been covered but seems pertinent to this thread) and is cost relatively the same? Also, wouldn't it be better to romove all the bondo before taking it in for blasting just in case of rust under said bondo that then could be more effectively stripped back to good steel? Confused
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Gecko, Jeff at ReVolks helped me out a TON when I got this car - super good guy, please let him Know I appriecate it.

I think im gonna go ahead and let em blast the body. Ill just have em go easy on the rear apron as you said.

Been away from the Ghia for a few days, trying not to get divorced Laughing.
So after my mini vacation I return to the garage today!
I finished welding in the other support bar, and finished the floorpan.
Then I figured I may as well try the mig welder, I cut out a cover for a turn signal and started learning.
I trimmed out the supports for the light and cut the blank to the size of the hole. I see what John was talking about the metal shrinking - I cut the cover the "exact" size, after welding it in it looks like the middle is being sucked in Laughing
Ill cut the other one slightly bigger i think.

F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rust repair, please ignore my crude welding Laughing
Im learning , I think

connella08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using gas? looks like you move your hand too fast, you have your wire speed too fast and your heat isnt high enough. those beads look on the surface. more heat means more penetration, but be careful, it also means more warping.
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Connella - yeah Im using gas and yeah Ive had the heat down too low.
I think im "starting" to get it though - Ive cranked it up quite a bit, and started shaking the wire back and forth letting a lil puddle build up. Now I can make a bead that gets good penetration.
Ive never used a mig before, It takes a lil more finesse than a stick.
I just plugged the antennae port, still not great - but I think Im getting a little better, less grinding anyway and the welds seem to be solid

connella08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am new to mig welding as well, and welding overall. i found my mig down at the local dump and it actually worked. all it needed was a tank and a regulator. there was such a big difference when welding with and without gas. my parents for my birthday got me a welders manual (a beginner guide pretty much) and it says "when all the settings are adjusted properly, the weld you are laying sounds like flying bacon".
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I love Bacon!

Welding is kinda fun too
slafa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good F4u5T Cool The Roadster Mafia rambles on..keep it up Very Happy
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: