Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weird headlight behavior
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

I recently had my steering wheel off, and turn signal assembly hanging, now my headlights do not come on with the headlight switch.

With the switch on, the high beam/turn signal on the column will illuminate each headlight, while pulling the lever, but each headlight alternates with lever pulls. Pull it, one headlight; let go, no headlights. Pull it again, other headlight; let go, no headlights.

The headlight switch and relay seem to be ok, so I assume something in the turn signal / high beam assembly was messed up when I put it back together.

Before I pull it apart, can anyone shed some light on the problem and give me an idea of what to check?

69 Ghia AS Coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

I would look for a broken wire at the solder joint on the turn sig switch. Assuming it was working before
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

most always its a bad ground. I actually had this problem on my bus one time. I hadn't taken anything apart, so it was weird. I took my headlights out, cleaned up all the connections, took the dimmer switch and cleaned it all up and everything has worked great ever since.

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

If the headlights 'change' with the lever, nothing is wrong with the lever switch in the steering column. All it is is a switched ground. It's working. As has been mentioned...clean the grounds.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

I’m having trouble identifying the grounds. The headlights have harnesses. I traced the yellow and white wires from the fuse panel to relay and switch and to the harness and I can’t tell what to work on. The relay and switch are new and the fuse strip is clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

Grounds are in the spare tire well. each side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But this really sounds liked wires got crossed some where.

Follow the maze...........

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

Checked the grounds. I had the steering wheel off today and if I mess with the wires inside, I can get the headlights to come on with the switch on. Is it possible that the dimmer switch ground is bad and that is causing my issue?
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

Today I replaced the dimmer / turn signal assembly in the wheel. It appears my left high beam is out and the rest of the headlight issue is solved.

The running lights go on with the headlight switch as they should, but the emergency flashers don’t work at all, and no sound in the relay when activating the switch. The turn signals don’t work and the relay clicks once when a turn signal is activated, but no light comes on.

I assume this means the flasher relay is burned. How can I test it?
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird headlight behavior Reply with quote

So far I switched the headlights and the dimmer relay with a spare and same result. High beam only works on passenger side. Checked connections, seems ok. Fuses look intact. Next step?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: