Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question new Air conditioner
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iradi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Question new Air conditioner Reply with quote

I bought from a Samba member a very nice brand new A/C kit and finally I finish all the instalation of all the components.

I saw that those kits are made in the past by the company Vintage Air.

Before I fill with the gas it is necessary to confirm that the compressor has enough oil, so I call Vintage Air to ask for help but they coudn't give me an answer.

The question is, how I know if the compressor ( Seltec, made in Japan ) has enough oil, if not how much do I need to put it ?

Enclosed please find the pictures and diagrams.

Thanks for your help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Question new Air conditioner Reply with quote

iradi wrote:
I bought from a Samba member a very nice brand new A/C kit and finally I finish all the instalation of all the components.

I saw that those kits are made in the past by the company Vintage Air.

Before I fill with the gas it is necessary to confirm that the compressor has enough oil, so I call Vintage Air to ask for help but they coudn't give me an answer.

The question is, how I know if the compressor ( Seltec, made in Japan ) has enough oil, if not how much do I need to put it ?

Enclosed please find the pictures and diagrams.

Thanks for your help.

Say what? They assemble the components and sell the kit but they can't tell you and the instructions don't tell you how to check to see if the compressor is shipped "with or without" oil?

Have you vacuumed down the system yet? If not you need to take the lines off the compressor and rotate it by hand and see if there is oil in it.

If the compressor was shipped with oil then you need only to add an ounce to each of the other parts IE the condensor(s), the evap and the dryer)... the oill will work it's way through the system and settle in each of these parts but your not supposed to "oil charge/overload" the compresser with oil from the git go... If the compressor had no oil then you can look up the model # online and find that it probably takes between 4 and 6 oz of oil.

It might at this stage be worth taking it to a decent AC tech/shop and have them confirm all this and do the vac down and charge it for you.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point the safest thing to do is to pour the oil out of the compressor and then refill with the correct amount. Also Kiefernet x2 on adding oil to the other components. If you have someone else determine the oil for you my money is on them NOT standing in back of any failure of the system that you installed. It is a lot of work and a lot of money spent so far. If you were to lose the compressor then the rest of the parts/hoses in the system would be contaminated, some would have to be replaced and you would still have no warranty. I have flushed a couple of systems and it is a PITA. Also if you miss any foreign debris at all you will likely toast another compressor thus starting the cycle all over again. Emptying the oil and refilling is the only way for you to know with certainty. Best of Luck with it!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it is not his kit sold I be Ed at Gilmore Enterprises would be happy to consult with you and give you some input.... that's the kind of guy he is... here is his email.

[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: a.c. Reply with quote

X2 on ed.
iradi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keifernet, 74driver and Snookerdude thanks so much.

I will follow your advice.

Very helpfull, really.

Thanks,

Ivan
iradi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, Ed never answer my emails, so with your advice and some common sense and we do it.

We put a total of 8.5 oz of oil, make vaccum and then fill with the gas until the high pressure goes to 250 psi.

The system is working well.

Thanks all again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: