Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPDATED: Need help help finding a NOS part.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when in doubt, I use simple green. I never know what seals and such are actually made of, and solvents tend to disolve everything i don't want them to.

also, is anyone familiar with the PCV setup for a1700 smog pump engine?

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a place in California that can make these diaphrams for the 1975 - 1978 FI bus. Don't have a price yet but the mold guesstimate is reasonable and the diaphram is too. Probably will be like the original in silicone rubber. The question will be how many of these to make. They will probably be under $10 each shipped for the diaphram and will come with instructions how to get the PCV valve apart and how to clean and replace. Please send me a PM is you want to be on the list of people who buy them. I am guessing there are about 150 of us who need them but if we don't get that many who need them could be as much as $25 each (based on 50 made and sold)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it sounds like thye are making a temporray mold like I make for doing small parts. Very fine detail.....and could make a few hundred to maybe a thousand vacuum cast parts before it craps out.
I would volunteer to mold these.....but I have lot on my plate right now. If not enough people step up...I can do it.

Bear in mind...that silicone casting compounds have come light years since these diaphrams have been made originally. You canget newere silicones that have 600+ heat rangew and are almost totally checmical proof. The real question will be what hardness and level of flexibility will work. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusername wrote:
when in doubt, I use simple green. I never know what seals and such are actually made of, and solvents tend to disolve everything i don't want them to.

also, is anyone familiar with the PCV setup for a1700 smog pump engine?

Uh...just so you know....Simple Green...aint that simple and it aint that green. Its a decent degreaser....but its main two ingredients are 2-butoxyethanol and Butyl Cellosolve. You should not breath either and highly limit contact with skin. Also....personally I would be very careful with using it on rubber and plastics. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vwman55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a sample would be make and tested for QC purposes?
evanwilliams4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to test the breather valve without disassembling it or having a vacuum tester? Every time I remove my S-boot there is a decent amount of oil in the bottom of it, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the breather tube--is this a sign that the diaphram is bad?

Thanks for doing all this legwork SGKent.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evanwilliams4u wrote:
Is there an easy way to test the breather valve without disassembling it or having a vacuum tester? Every time I remove my S-boot there is a decent amount of oil in the bottom of it, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the breather tube--is this a sign that the diaphram is bad?

Thanks for doing all this legwork SGKent.

no, could be your rings are worn so you have lots of blowby..which includes lots of misty oily gas which condenses in the S boot.

do a leak down test to see what going on..
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take it off and use a piece of hose that attaches to the end that goes to the air intake. Plug the other end with your finger and suck on it to see if it holds vacuum. I also blow a little pressure the other way too,but not much and it should hold pressure as well. Sometimes the diaphragm has a crack that is more susceptible to opening when bending the other way. I disassembled mine and made a spring clip that holds it together. Now I can take it apart for maintenance. It was actually full of gunk on the inside so the flow through it was restricted as well. I put it back together with some RTV (repaired the diaphragm too) and then put a spring clip on to keep it hel together. It works like a new one now....now to see if my MPG improves as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing some work on a 78 Datsun 280Z yesterday and noticed that it uses a flow through PCV valve system (280's use L-jet in case you are wondering), I'm hoping to get my hands on the valve that screws into the plenum that the breather connects to and whatever is in the line from the rocker cover to the S boot they call a "flame arrestor" soon for some research.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the dead!

Was any final resolution made on this?

I was actually searching for the I.D. of the Sboot when I stumbled on to this thread.

It seems that there are an increasing number of NLA parts that are going to drive the FI Bus right out of smog states. In NJ, everything gets smogged, with no cut off date. I don't know about the visual inspection, however. (My 72 SB is registered historic, the only way you get off the emissions merry-go-round.)

M
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has opened my eyes to a whole new part of the engine to worry about! Shocked Very Happy

Now, how does one go about properly testing the PCV valve? And what maintenance can be done without dismantling and damaging it?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Tripped over this in a search and didn't realize that little bugger was made of unobtanium. My engine was or originally a 2.0L F.I. and I HAD one but had no clue what it did other then help vent the crank case somehow. When I got the bus it had been converted to single carb and there was a hose coming off the plastic piece and just running over to the spare battery tray. (Don't yell at me here... I was new!!) When I got a new Weber single carb I hooked it up to the back of the air cleaner and assumed it was working. Embarassed

So a few months ago I pulled the engine and once it was safely on the ground I pushed the bus over it and the lip/head of the plastic thing got caught under the bumper and SNAP! Shocked It didn't phase me at the time and I just assumed I could get another one... and did up until 10 minutes ago. Woops.

Last weekend I was picking pieces off a '74 1800 duel carb and remembered I needed this piece but mine being originally a Fuel Injected and the 1800 being carbed obviously it wasn't there. So I took the metal vent box off and just assumed I could swap that on. Now that I'm putting on duel carbs... WHERE is this hose really supposed to go?

Here's a pic I took of the 1800 engine before I took the vent box off. The hose is missing though: (Upper right hand corner)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
WHERE is this hose really supposed to go?

To the nipple on the air filter neck (hose goes under and around the front).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have dual carbs and no factory airbox, where shoud the hose from the crankcase breather go? Should it be connected to anything or just vented out underneath the engine somewhere?

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Thread Revival.... Reply with quote

Hey SGKent,

Any updates on the replacement diaphragms????

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbie found me 2 NOS last last year but nothing on the diaphragms. Don't have the money to make new ones.
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on this?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cheapest I have found someone to make them is out of the price range most of you would pay. I bumped this because someone contacted me re finding a diaphragm or whole new valve. The last new ones I found were in Europe and it was Bobbie who found them, however he no longer frequents here as he lost lots of money selling NOS items due to problems delivering.
Chris_914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a little time pestering the parts guy at the local VW dealership and came home with a similar valve for a 2003 1.9L TDI Jetta/Beetle. It works on the exact same principles but its flow rate is a bit higher. A very important factor is the valve is in the proper orientation, meaning it is designed to go into the valve cover and not the intake boot like the Audi part I've seen.

Only issue so far is a bit of a high idle when completely warmed up. Seems I have some decent blow-by and this valve flows more. I am looking into restricting it to the same size hole that is molded into the upper section of the original valve.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris_914 wrote:
I am looking into restricting it to the same size hole that is molded into the upper section of the original valve.

thats easy enough. find a piece of pvc (or what have you) and slide it inside of the valve to whatever dimention you want to choke it down to

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: