Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus find worth it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbrann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Bus find worth it? Reply with quote

During the weekend me and my father went to a junk yard i search of a rear fender for my bug which there was no luck but we did run across a late 70's bay window camper that after a little research i think is a Riviera (dont hold me to this). Neither me or my father have very much bus experience he is in the lead with owning one bus for a week but we both thought this bus may be worth the asking price of $500 and an ear of corn. I dont have any pictures because it was well into the 90's that day and it was located on an ant hill but we did make some observations.

---The Good---
2.0L FI
Riviera Pop Up
Factory A/C
Automatic Trans
Pans didn't look to bad (didn't look hard)
*Edit* It also had a bunk bed type deal (I dont know if this is common but i thought it was cool)

---The Bad---
Needs a new roof (the current one is a cancer patient)
Interior is Shedded (and smells like mold)
Sliding door is semi-unhinged (still worked just roughly)
and there is probably more

We both figure the engine is worth the money they're asking but we dont want to tear into a bus thats not just an engine. Opinions?

Last edited by cbrann on Mon May 18, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtydan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i drive a 1977 f.i. 2 litre and i hate the f.i. part but the 2 litre part is nice. It has nice power. Check if it has hydrolic lifters- if it does its a 1978 or later.
AUTO TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!! Confused no way im not a believer
cbrann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only saw 2 pedals
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtydan wrote:
i drive a 1977 f.i. 2 litre and i hate the f.i. part but the 2 litre part is nice. It has nice power. Check if it has hydrolic lifters- if it does its a 1978 or later.

You've been here two days, why don't you settle down and do some reading before you go spouting off with this nonsense. There simply is no better system to be used on a Bus than the factory FI. It's trouble free, easy to maintain, gets great mileage and smooth running. What more could you want?
Automatic transmissions were put into Buses starting in 1973, so it's really no surprise the Bus in question has one.

H-Y-D-R-A-U-L-I-C
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a bus with a good engine and its only $500. can't lose.

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to say without pics- if the body is solid and reasonably complete, I'd pay that for it in a heartbeat, clean it, slather some fiberglass on the top until I could replace it, replace the fuel lines, and get it running.

FI is great once you find any "bugs" in the setup- and if it's been sitting a good while (most likely) it will have some. I've no experience with automatics- but if you want the bus for commuting in your area, it might be a welcome option if you have alot of stop and go traffic.

I'm not encouraging it, but if you decide to part it, I'd be interested in having a look- feel free to PM if that's the route you go.

Cheers,
77whatsit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know for sure the engine is good?
I would make sure that it at least has decent compression.
For me, if it turns and has compression... I can get it to run. Maybe some fuel or ignition issues to deal with but those can be fixed fairly easily.
Heck, I just bought my '77 Bay that had been sitting for 2 years on Saturday and managed to get her fired up today. I paid $450 for her.

But like enjoispammy8 said, if the motor is good, I think $500 is a steal.
Just my $.02
My '77 Transporter thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357978
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtydan wrote:

dudes an expert on FI I see....but everyone is entitled to their opinion..
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
dirtydan wrote:

dudes an expert on FI I see....but everyone is entitled to their opinion..
tired old debate. i'll gladly swap out a stock FI system for anyone wishing to donate it for a crappy weber Very Happy

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some pics, Fla. busses tend to suck based on rust issues. $500 is not a bad price, but what do you intend to do. There's not alot of good donor metal down here. Make sure the motor is viable, other wise it's a $500 parts bus.
Atlantis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this bus?

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Holy%20Wolf/Desktop/BUSES/1174358518.html

Click on the link that is on the ad for more pics.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlantis wrote:
What about this bus?

No, the C:/Documents tells us you just tried to link us to your computer, not a website. Got another link?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kinsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Don't be afraid of an automatic. I have a 2 litre FI with automatic
and it is just an awesome drive.

Remember this isn't a Porsche 911 we are talking about driving
where a 6 speed is a must. It's a 30 year old bus. Enjoy the Ride

Kinsey with my 2 cents worth

Islamorada Blue- '78 bay window
"The Spirit of Margaritaville"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Atlantis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
Atlantis wrote:
What about this bus?

No, the C:/Documents tells us you just tried to link us to your computer, not a website. Got another link?

Whoops, sorry man.
Here is the actual link.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/1174358518.html
Atlantis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought automatics were worth a bit more but also kind of looked down on at the same time?
Atlantis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could get this bus for 2000 cash
Skiingnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably heard all this before but here in good 'ole Blighty, that bus listed at $3500 would probably be more like £8000 Shocked.

I think I'm going to move out to the US of A, buy myself the largest plot of land I can afford and then buy every $500 Bus that comes up for sale. Then I can line them all up, kick back and drink a beer. Hopefully, by this time, I'd have got the overwhelming feeling out of my system of wanting to buy every seemingly solid cheap bus that is advertised in the US when in the UK, a rusted out basket case goes for about £2000 and people line up to buy them.

Anyway, back on track. To me, they both look like a steal. Very Happy

"Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you've got nothing new to say" - New Speedway Boogie.
Atlantis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiingnick wrote:
You've probably heard all this before but here in good 'ole Blighty, that bus listed at $3500 would probably be more like £8000 Shocked.

I think I'm going to move out to the US of A, buy myself the largest plot of land I can afford and then buy every $500 Bus that comes up for sale. Then I can line them all up, kick back and drink a beer. Hopefully, by this time, I'd have got the overwhelming feeling out of my system of wanting to buy every seemingly solid cheap bus that is advertised in the US when in the UK, a rusted out basket case goes for about £2000 and people line up to buy them.

Anyway, back on track. To me, they both look like a steal. Very Happy

Wow, that's crazy man. The price difference. I don't know, me and izzard king have been stroking our "beards" on some buses we have found and may act on together, which would be cool. It seems it's dry for awhile on the buses and then all of a sudden BAM, their is like 10 of em in the area and half seem great deals and others maybe.

Then again everything in your area is priced higher than the US.
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I stumble into the split bus group by accident? This is sad that a bus noob is being lambasted because he didn't ask a question that right way, or whatever.

Let me try this:

Welcome to the bus community. There are some good guys here who can help. Do you intend to buy the bus to flip it to restore it? If you want to buy it to part it, it will take some time, but you'll get more than your money out of it probably by a factor of 2. Original Riviera interior stuff is getting hard to find, so what you might see as trash, others might see as treasure if it is original. If you intend to flip it as is, you'll have a hard time making enough to be worth your while. I wouldn't do that unless you reasonably thought you could get it driving and stopping in short order...and be sure to price brake components...things are more expensive on buses...and so are Type IV components.

If you want to restore it, it will also take some time to do it right, but you can probably get it running and driving fairly quickly if the engine's internals are in good shape. The Type IV engine is pretty peppy and while more expensive, can last a long time...I like them, but others don't. Auto trannys aren't for everyone, but I hunted a while before I found one for my mom and Dad's bus.

If it were me, I'd buy it, get it running and stopping safely and not much else. Then drive it for a few months, and then decide what to do with it. It'll likely open a doorway for you, but you might find that you'd rather have a different kind of bus or something.

Steve
Atlantis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Westy Steve"]Did I stumble into the split bus group by accident? This is sad that a bus noob is being lambasted because he didn't ask a question that right way, or whatever.

Let me try this:

Westy Steve wrote:
Welcome to the bus community. There are some good guys here who can help.

I know, I have met a few in person and they are rad.
I have talked to some on the phone and are very cool.

Westy Steve wrote:
Do you intend to buy the bus to flip it to restore it?

Depends on if I like it more than my 71. I have never driven an automatic bus, maybe Ill like that or hate it. I figure if I could get it at 2000 I could always make money off of it if I replaced the glass and got some new tires.

Westy Steve wrote:
If you want to buy it to part it, it will take some time, but you'll get more than your money out of it probably by a factor of 2. Original Riviera interior stuff is getting hard to find, so what you might see as trash, others might see as treasure if it is original. If you intend to flip it as is, you'll have a hard time making enough to be worth your while. I wouldn't do that unless you reasonably thought you could get it driving and stopping in short order...and be sure to price brake components...things are more expensive on buses...and so are Type IV components.

I would not want to part it out. It is in really good condition.
So at 2000, your saying I couldn't turn around and sell it and make money off of it? Seems as ebay is selling the same bus for around 3500-4000 at least.
It does not have the actual riviera interior. It has custom interior.
You should click on the link to check out all the other pics.
It runs and drives incredible well.

Westy Steve wrote:
If you want to restore it, it will also take some time to do it right, but you can probably get it running and driving fairly quickly if the engine's internals are in good shape. The Type IV engine is pretty peppy and while more expensive, can last a long time...I like them, but others don't. Auto trannys aren't for everyone, but I hunted a while before I found one for my mom and Dad's bus.

If it were me, I'd buy it, get it running and stopping safely and not much else. Then drive it for a few months, and then decide what to do with it. It'll likely open a doorway for you, but you might find that you'd rather have a different kind of bus or something.

Steve

Thanks steve. You should click on that link, more pics.

The guy says it runs and drives excellent and ready for road trips as is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: