Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Normal procedure?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Normal procedure? Reply with quote

The parents of this kid live across the street from me. I was in the garage when the cops went to their door and gave them the news......Mothers Day morning. I'll never forget it.
Because I have a somewhat bias opinion, I thought I would see how fellow Samba members feel about this.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/406458_video22.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts: Don't run from the police.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run when you hear, "Stop,Police", you are giving the officers a perception that you have done something wrong. At the very least, you are preventing the officers from conducting their investigation. It is a very bad outcome that could have been avoided if he had not run. Hopefully the fella will be okay and tell his story. I don't think the cop hurt him intentionally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:

x2.

I watched the video and it looks unintentional that his head hit the wall. It's not like he was next to the wall and the guy slammed him into it - he was pretty far away.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:

This is humorous but makes some good points....

How To Not Get Your Ass Kicked By the Police

http://www.comegetyousome.com/video/99/chris-rock-on-the-police.html

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points. The weird thing is, he had no reason to run. I'm afraid he will never be able to tell us.

My question is.... is it okay for a 270+lb cop to hit a "suspect" so hard he literally flys into a concrete wall. Even if the wall wasn't there the sidewalk could have done major damage.

This video is clearer.
http://www.komonews.com/home/video/45783147.html?video=pop&t=a
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to make all sorts of judgements from a 5 second video clip.

It looks like the kid stopped just before the cop plowed him. But the cop was already trucking before the kid stopped and probably wouldn't have been able to stop himself anyway. Plus, he was focused on a fleeing suspect.

So who's at fault? When I saw the first Rodney king videos, I thought the cops were in the wrong. But after seeing the entire video, maybe they wern't so wrong in their actions.

Bottom line, if some BIG cop with a gun and a stick tells you to stop, you better stop!

In this case, it won't matter who is right and who is wrong, the kid is still screwed up. And maybe he wouldn't have been if he would'nt have run to begin with.
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your first instinct is to run from the cops then that's the kind of person who deserves a good smacking. Natural Selection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if the cop yells "STOP"... then stop. If you know you haven't done anything wrong, why are you running? I've got no sympathy for someone who gets hurt because they didn't stop when the cops told them to.
ninja90177
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real perps probably killed a few people, robbed some houses and stole some cars while the LEOs were pre-occupied with this, now, half-dead kid laying on the ground.

Who knows, though? I hope he recovers.

Why are there some many LEO storys popping up lately? On the news and in papers, I mean.

Kenney
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja90177 wrote:
The real perps probably killed a few people, robbed some houses and stole some cars while the LEOs were pre-occupied with this, now, half-dead kid laying on the ground.

Who knows, though? I hope he recovers.

Why are there some many LEO storys popping up lately? On the news and in papers, I mean.

Kenney

Maybe it is because there are more PERPS.
99.999% of the Cops out there, are just doing the job we pay them to do.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal procedure? Reply with quote

joe h. wrote:
The parents of this kid live across the street from me. I was in the garage when the cops went to their door and gave them the news......Mothers Day morning. I'll never forget it.
Because I have a somewhat bias opinion, I thought I would see how fellow Samba members feel about this.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/406458_video22.html

So what does "Mothers day morning" have to do with it? You want to know how others feel about this...but have colored your opinion in. As others have stated...when a big fat 250 lb cop says stop....thats what he means. You, or this 29 year old man, not a child ( mothers day) anymore ,have an expectation to heed an order given by a law enforcement official. The chase was not just a few feet, it was a long distance. The real problem is that many teens...20, 30 somethings have no respect for authority.....so then a beatdown is usually in order. I did stupid stuff in the 60s when I was a teen, but I would have never run from a cop. Have you ever watched one of the cop shows when the cops run down the bad guy and they ask "why did you run"? The universal answer is "I was just scared". Then they search him and find the crack and a Tech9. Hey it is natural selection as an earlier poster wrote. Do dumbass stuff and you won't be around to procreate. Thats nature at its best!!!!
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody runs from the cops for "no reason". I don't care how much you want to believe that he had no reason to, he did.

He's not a "kid" either, he's a grown adult with 11 years of "adulthood" under his belt.

He made the poor choice to run from the cops, and the consequenses are common sense. That cop will chase you until he throws your ass to the ground. The family has no right to be pissed at the authorities on this one. The cop doesn't know if he has a weapon on him that he will use or not when he finally does catch up to him or not. They don't run up and take you by the hand. They are going to throw you to the ground to make sure you are not a threat.

The police were in the right on this one, IMHO.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe h. wrote:

My question is.... is it okay for a 270+lb cop to hit a "suspect" so hard he literally flys into a concrete wall. Even if the wall wasn't there the sidewalk could have done major damage.

Absolutely. Put yourself in the cops shoes. You're chasing a suspect that ran when you called for him. Is the suspect armed? And if so, with what? He obviously ran for a reason, even if it wasn't for the reason the cops wanted to talk to him.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cops says stop you better do so. The penalty for not following orders is death.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who calls that "running"? It looks like he was barely trotting, damned near stopped, and mostly facing the officer.

Late at night, when it's quiet, and he hears nothing but his thoughts, I'll bet the cop will hear the sound of that kids head hitting the wall, and will decide that it was completely unnecessary. He might have a kid, and remember that they do stupid things sometimes, for no apparent reason. Poor judgment, which is normally a privilege of youth. No doubt that running was a bad call on the kids part. I'm not defending it. He should not have run. No logical reason for it. Should he be comatose for it, and possibly die? I don't think so.

I also don't believe it's necessary to throw a submissive suspect on the ground and bury a knee in their kidney while cuffing them. Or have 2-3-4 cops do it all at once. They've surrendered. They've made themselves a willing prisoner. When did inflicting pain and injury become routine procedure?

Cops get away with that crap for the same reason they can drive 85 down the freeway without it being an emergency, and it's a-okay. To quote Judge Dredd, "I am the law." Cops being policed by cops. People bitch about lawyers. I think this is even worse.

I'm sure there were high fives all around for this one.

What a damn shame.

Last edited by zozo on Fri May 22, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
joe h.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what does "Mothers day morning" have to do with it?

Because I watched a mother being told her son was in a coma on Mothers Day. It wasn't a pretty sight. Sorry. Rolling Eyes

However, I can't argue the fact he ran. Once you run, you look guilty. Period.
From what I know he is not a criminal, and wasn't involved at all.
Honestly, I think he may have had a few too many cocktails and his judgement was screwed up, but that's a guess.
Like I said, because I know the family my initial opinion may be segued. I am now having second thoughts.
Thanks for the input.
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:

um, no. Confused

he didnt need to tackle him like that, if it turns out he wasnt guilty of the crime they may have a civil suit and settlement coming which they deserve, even if he comes back a hit like that causes permanent problems Evil or Very Mad

f the po po Wink

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmsmilin wrote:
TimGud wrote:

um, no. Confused

he didnt need to tackle him like that, if it turns out he wasnt guilty of the crime they may have a civil suit and settlement coming which they deserve, even if he comes back a hit like that causes permanent problems Evil or Very Mad

f the po po Wink

Umm, I was using sarcasm.

Really doesn't matter what we say in this thread anyways, this subject matter will damn it to the abuse forum. Laughing
Culito

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline is an interesting substance.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: