Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why Won't my Engine Come Out?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtbcpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Why Won't my Engine Come Out? Reply with quote

I have a 1969 type II and am trying to remove the engine for a clutch replacement. I feel like I have done everything I need to do (followed all the steps in the dummie guide). I have jacked up the engine and tried to pull it out but it is just not budging. If I look at where it connects to the tranny there is about a 1/2" gap so it seems like I have removed all 4 of the bolts properly. Any ideas as to what I have forgotten to do that would make it not budge? It almost feels like it is in gear or something like that preventing it from sliding out.

I can post up some pictures if needed.

Thanks!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

accelerator cable, heater box cables, fuel line, wires to generator/alternator?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtbcpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did all of those. Thanks!
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you support the tranny? If the shaft is starting to point down as the tranny sags it will catch a little. If thats not it get under there while your helper moved the motor. You'll find what is catching. Sometimes some tilting and pulling is require for heater box wire connectors and such to not get hung up.
mtbcpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tranny is supported. It feels like something is not unbolted. It doesn't feel like a wire or cable holding it back. Thanks!
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try jacking the engine up a little more. mine was stuck as you described, and when i raised the engine up a little and gave it a pull it popped right out.

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trackwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push in the clutch are the rear wheels off the ground? Try rocking the bus forward or rotate the wheels if they are off the ground. Is the cross support hanging up on something
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

step back and eye the angles of everything. Make sure that the engine and the transmission are in the same plane horizontially and vertically. Make sure that the engine and transmission are both supported. Use a wrench to spin the generator right and left to rock the crank back and forth a few times a little. Then pull straignt back again. If it came 1/2 " apart then it is almost out. Most likely when you look at it you will see it is cocked a little and when you straighten it out with the jack it will come right out.
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirm something for us:
It "seems" like all four bolts are out? There should be four bolts and nuts in your hand. One of them will have a half-circle as part of the head shape - it is the one that connects the starter motor. All four are definitely definitely out. Correct?

Engine mounts are unbolted? they should also be in the pan of disconnected bolts.

-Peter
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing you could try, is removing the rear engine cross bar, in certain situations, removing it has made it easier for me to get the engine out... (jack under the engine of course ;0)
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: