Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

pwmcguire wrote:
36hplandspeedracer wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:
im trying to decide on building either a 40 horse or a 36 this summer for a vintage speed style engine. how well does the doghouse shroud and front (front is front) tin line up with the cylinderhead tin of the 36?

any pictures of it all together?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used the EMPI 36hp dog house fan shroud with heater duct outlets (with 1600cc heater boxes and did not have any serious issues or concerns.

Burly

Is that a model? it just doesn't look real

Real PMW. Full size. Do not have any full assembled photos but will do so in the future when I finally finish replacing the plugged heat riser intake manifold.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

No Jerry, I just had to "squeeze" the EMPI 40hp glasspack header/muffler to fit to width. The sliding tubes were not quite enough. Do not recall doing anything with the flanges, but it was over a decade ago?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

hello again... can I ask... is this the captive nut needed for the conversion of the 36hp case?

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/111101135/captive-nut-for-twinport-case/

best,

Martin

Last edited by pig-pen on Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
hell again... can I ask... is this the captive nut needed for the conversion of the 36hp case?

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/111101135/captive-nut-for-twinport-case/

best,

Martin

It will be easier to install that bolt because the oil cooler gets in the way.
I converted a 66 1300 to a doghouse cooler and used it. That link says they are out of stock. Here is one in the classifieds
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1901503
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

yup. there are a few other retailers in the UK with it in stock. just wanted to double check its the right part. Smile
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

drilling to hole will be a pain, it will want to grab and pull it through the case. I would research the best way to drill it and what size to drill it, I think its a odd size. Plexiglas would do the same thing. To make it easier to drill, we would make the bit's point a sharper angle. It might work. Here is a link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=40
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:

I run the standard VW size aluminum pulley on my dog house 36 and have had no overheating or noticeable power loss in city or freeway driving.

Hello... quick question... am I right to assume you use a 1600 size crank pulley with the bigger doghouse fan as using a 36hp size pulley will cause it to slip earlier?

the wider fan is shifting more air and so will slip sooner as a result, the 36hp pulley will be driving it too fast?
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James D wrote:
Top information from Burly... Very Happy

"DOG HOUSE 36hp CONVERSION

a. Remove the 6mm vertical stud holding the original oil cooler. I installed a 6-8mm oil strainer repair stud in its place (or you could drill & tap the hole and install a full length 8mm stud).

b. Drill the remaining two oil cooler mounting holes in the flange above the #3 & 4 cylinders to 8mm.

Another quick question for my achingly slow engine build...

Rather than drilling the engine block holes to 8mm, would it not be better converting the doghouse mounting block to 6mm studs using the same 6-8mm adapter studs mentioned as used in step A?

or am I not getting it? would they not be strong enough perhaps?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

I think you should do your step stud swap and it will probably be fine, maybe add a drop of blue Loctite to the nut threads. I used to run Kadrons on a single port motor with 6mm manifold studs, they never came loose (flex hose for balance tube, metal tube had been cut). Your oil cooler is probably going to weigh less than those Kadrons and it has a three point mount to boot.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Thanks snort.
That was what I was thinking, yet the extra weight of the adapter, the bigger cooler, and then the oil in it too... just worried there was a reason for VW to up the studs to 8mm...
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Yes, I know what you are thinking about that progressive refinement. It would be an improvement at the cost of drilling your case. People that have access to stacks of 36hp cases wouldn't think twice about drilling those holes out, people with one or two see it as an irreversible change forever altering their future options, etc. I've seen cases with those oil cooler flanges broken off, maybe drilling the holes will weaken the case, the plot thickens. Think

My Kadron analogy was the closest I could come to something that seems like it would be a lot more likely to be a problem, two studs vs. one, Kadron hanging out at an angle similar to how the doghouse cooler is cantilevered, similar weight maybe even weighs more with those old steel manifolds, sitting at the edge of the engine subjected to the most vibrations compared to the oil cooler close to the center.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

yes. agreed... I will go for adaptor studs put into the cooler mount. seems like the most sensible option as this is one of two cases I have! Cheers
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Hello all.

Another question / musing.

Re thermostat... so the 36hp thermostat opens at a higher temp than the later version right? 75°c rather than the later 65°c?

So... with the doghouse conversion, the bigger fan, and the smaller crank pulley, different LATER cooling set up basically... is there any milage in using a LATER thermostat and having the choke ring open earlier?

thoughts?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

You are going to slow down the warmup cycle a little bit and run the motor a little cooler on some colder days. It won't change the overall cooling performance on hot days. You'll get your premium heater airflow a little sooner too.

Didn't VW phase out the early thermostat and only have the later one available as a superseded replacement? I don't think VW saw that change as very significant to the 36hp, in fact they probably even were using it in the Standard Beetle 36hp motors throughout the 40hp production run. That would be interesting to know.

What is your objective?
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Snort wrote:

What is your objective?

Ha! Availability, and cost.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: