Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp distributor clamp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

I have a Bosch 010 distributor on my vintage-speed inspired 36hp engine, and I also have two working backups. I drive my car a lot, and it seems like every few months my distributor slowly backs out of its set timing. I have tried all three distributors at one time or another. Once timing is set I tighten it down very well, but it never fails to gradually retard over 2-3 months of driving. It's a slow process and I usually don't notice it until it develops a carb pop between gears or some hesitation. I set it at 30° at 3000 RPM, which at idle might be 8-10° advance. By the time I notice the sluggishness it might be somewhere around 25-26° at 3000, or 3-5° at idle.

Is that frequency of distributor movement common? I don't remember dealing with that kind of change on my stock 36hp, but maybe I did and just don't recall. It seems I'd check valves, points, and timing and it would be spot on or a minor adjustment at most. Any tips to get it to hold better? Is there any aftermarket clamp that might hold better?

Last edited by PeteSC on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

The timing should not change. I suspect your clamp have ben bents and straightened a few times over the years which will soften the metal.

Try a different clamp. If you don't have any, PM me I have a number available.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

replace the nut on the clamp with a nylock nut or use a spring/lock washer under the existing nut and see if that helps. Worst case replace the clamp. I've got a spare 36 horse clamp if you need it, I've no use for it as I only do 1600 based stuff nowadays. Yours for free if you want it so long as you're in the US Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I didn't think it should wander if properly tightened. I'll try some different original clamps and see if that helps.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

7ft-lbs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

the timing will change slightly if it raises up a little, not just if it rotates. Make sure that the clamp locks it in down, literally tight down to the case.
ntngman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

I had an issue with the original clamp when I switched over to the 010, if I’m not mistaken, this is a bus clamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

esde wrote:
the timing will change slightly if it raises up a little, not just if it rotates. Make sure that the clamp locks it in down, literally tight down to the case.

Thanks for that; I think you’re on to something-

I have a fresh 010 that Glenn just rebuilt for me in the last couple months, and he threw a clamp in as well which was appreciated. I’ll give that one a go.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

Update:

Installed the 010 that Glenn rebuilt for me, and used a clamp he sent with it. As seen in the photo above the old clamp was indeed “soft” and allowed the dizzy to pop up a little, as well as slide out of timing and lose its advance. New one sits flush to the clamp and case, and fired right up.

Last edited by PeteSC on Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Update:

Installed the 010 that Glenn rebuilt for me, and used a clamp he sent with it. As seen in the photo above the old clamp was indeed “soft” and allowed the dizzy to pop up a little, as well as slide out of timing and lose its advance. New one sits flush to the clamp case, and fired right up.

Glad to hear it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

You do great work, Glenn. That 010 is a thing of beauty. My drive gear is still set for an 019....I need to pull the fuel pump and re-index it so the badge faces out.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
You do great work, Glenn. That 010 is a thing of beauty. My drive gear is still set for an 019....I need to pull the fuel pump and re-index it so the badge faces out.

The 019 and 010 index the same, so it had to be off for the 019.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Update:

Installed the 010 that Glenn rebuilt for me, and used a clamp he sent with it. As seen in the photo above the old clamp was indeed “soft” and allowed the dizzy to pop up a little, as well as slide out of timing and lose its advance. New one sits flush to the clamp and case, and fired right up.

IDK much about 36ers but whats the metal line elbo thats running out of the case near the distributor? crankcase Ventilation? Is it stock? Sorry, just curious. Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

Oil return line from the canister oil filter.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp distributor clamp Reply with quote

oh ok, that makes cents. thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: