Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference in Westy coat hooks
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

I have these 3 coat hooks, but one has different hole placement and curves more than the other 2. The 2 that are the same came from a early 61 SO23, the oddball I've had for 20 years. Can someone please help me identify the difference?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in coat hooks Reply with quote

Curiosity bump...
I’ve seen the vertically aligned holes on a 56.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in coat hooks Reply with quote

one original to the 55 westy is attached to the bus, compared with one from an early bay westy (loose)

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in coat hooks Reply with quote

I was curious about the cab area (b-pillar) ones.
Any info on those?... year range...
Vertical holes: 55-57?
Diagonal holes: 57?-64?

The OP said his diagonal hole ones were from an early ‘61.

This one has the vertically aligned holes... from a ‘56.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in coat hooks Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Any info on those?... year range...
Vertical holes: 55-57?
Diagonal holes: 57?-64?

The OP said his diagonal hole ones were from an early ‘61.

This one has the vertically aligned holes... from a ‘56.

T
I have owned two westys ( 12/57 and 3/58 ) with '1958 style' interiors that had the double hooks per Clara's pic but on the B pillar where the large hooks usually are on a SO23 etc. I have also seen the vertical hole large hooks on pre-57 westys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

Updating B-pillar hook applicability based on input to date:
    Vertical holes: 55-56
    Undetermined: 57-58
    Diagonal holes: 59-64

campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

I think the vertical holes on the b-pillar hooks went through about 1960 or so. They definitely covered at least partially through the So-23 era.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

Thanks Greg!
    Vertical holes: 55-1960ish
    Diagonal holes: 1960ish-64

sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in coat hooks Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
one original to the 55 westy is attached to the bus, compared with one from an early bay westy (loose)

My February of 58 has these coat hooks
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in coat hooks Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

my Jan 56 westy:

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Thanks Greg!

I think this might not be correct. I know Greg said that he saw vertical hole large coat hooks up to 1960 SO23 era but either this incorrect or the B pillar hook varied in 57-58. As I mentioned above I have owned two westys that had the double style coathooks on the B pillar from 57 and 58. Original to the bus hooks. Tim mentioned the same with his early 58. I believ Dannys 6/57 also has the double hooks on the B pillar, so thats 4 westys right there. So either both were used or we now know what was used in 57-58.

A better question might be does anybody have a 57 or 58 westfalia with large coathooks on the B pillar? Greg what is on your euro 58? I will check on with 2 other 58 westy owners as well. Interesting details!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
easy e wrote:
Thanks Greg!

I think this might not be correct. I know Greg said that he saw vertical hole large coat hooks up to 1960 SO23 era but either this incorrect or the B pillar hook varied in 57-58. As I mentioned above I have owned two westys that had the double style coathooks on the B pillar from 57 and 58. Original to the bus hooks. Tim mentioned the same with his early 58. I believ Dannys 6/57 also has the double hooks on the B pillar, so thats 4 westys right there. So either both were used or we now know what was used in 57-58.

A better question might be does anybody have a 57 or 58 westfalia with large coathooks on the B pillar? Greg what is on your euro 58? I will check on with 2 other 58 westy owners as well. Interesting details!

I’m not sure I follow you, but let me try and clarify what I tried to say.

I think all westies had the coat hook on the right pictured here installed above the bulkhead on the left and right side through sometime in the So-23 era.

The hook in the middle and on the left I think would have been found in all subhatch buses from mid so-23 era forwards.

I haven’t really studied so-23s to pay attention exactly what month they changed, but easy enough to tell which you need by the screw pattern.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
buseric wrote:
easy e wrote:
Thanks Greg!

I think all westies had the coat hook on the right pictured here installed above the bulkhead on the left and right side through sometime in the So-23 era.

The hook in the middle and on the left I think would have been found in all subhatch buses from mid so-23 era forwards.

I haven’t really studied so-23s to pay attention exactly what month they changed, but easy enough to tell which you need by the screw pattern.

Okay, that is what I thought you meant.

I am saying I am aware of 4 westys between 6/57 and 4/58 that did not use that large style on the B pillar. Instead they have the double V style hook usually found eleswhere in the westfalia interior, on the B pillar. 4 westys is not a coincidence. The hooks in my 3/58 bus look to never have been removed, same with my old 12/57. And Tims pgsg along with Dannys 57.

So I do not think large coat hooks were used continuously, or rather exclusively, from 54-55 through to the SO23 era. There was a period of time where the double V hooks were used on the B pillar instear of a large coat hook. Screw hole patterns/spacing is different so they cannot be interchanged.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

A picture might help. This is the coat hooks in my 3/58, that I have seen in others as well.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

I can’t recall seeing the rabbit ear hooks there before. My brown ‘58 has the regular b-pillar hooks. I’m not sure what the blue ‘58 has, but I’d expect the b-pillar hooks as well.

Are the screw locations the same between the two style hooks?

If not, if you remove your hook, are there extra screw holes behind there?

Maybe westfalia ran out of the one type and substituted those instead for your bus?
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I can’t recall seeing the rabbit ear hooks there before. My brown ‘58 has the regular b-pillar hooks. I’m not sure what the blue ‘58 has, but I’d expect the b-pillar hooks as well.

Are the screw locations the same between the two style hooks?

If not, if you remove your hook, are there extra screw holes behind there?

Maybe westfalia ran out of the one type and substituted those instead for your bus?

I believe the spacing is wider on double V hooks vs. vertical large hooks. My 12/57 had V hooks as well. Tims does as well, Dannys too. My hooks are original to my bus, they have clearly been on there forever. My bus sat for 25 years, is low mileage and pretty original as well. Perhaps there was a period where that was all that was available.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

I just measured, the spacing between the two hooks is definitely different .

I guess I hadn’t noticed the exceptions, are all of the buses you mentioned close in production date?
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I just measured, the spacing between the two hooks is definitely different .

I guess I hadn’t noticed the exceptions, are all of the buses you mentioned close in production date?

Between 6/57 and 3/58 I believe. I cant remember what month Tim's is but 2/58? comes to mind. I cant remember what my 4/58 had before it was parted. I will ask Bob about his 5/58 and I wonder what Linds (6/58?) has?

Edit: Dannys 6/57 has the large, vertical hole coat hook. so that narrows the timeframe to 12/57 - 3 or 4/58?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

Top one has a thicker (triangle) base. (Bay??)
Bottom two have a slightly thinner (triangle) base.

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: difference in Westy coat hooks Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
campingbox wrote:
buseric wrote:
easy e wrote:
Thanks Greg!

Okay, that is what I thought you meant.

I am saying I am aware of 4 westys between 6/57 and 4/58 that did not use that large style on the B pillar. Instead they have the double V style hook usually found eleswhere in the westfalia interior, on the B pillar. 4 westys is not a coincidence. The hooks in my 3/58 bus look to never have been removed, same with my old 12/57. And Tims pgsg along with Dannys 57.

So I do not think large coat hooks were used continuously, or rather exclusively, from 54-55 through to the SO23 era. There was a period of time where the double V hooks were used on the B pillar instear of a large coat hook. Screw hole patterns/spacing is different so they cannot be interchanged.
Thought I would chime in on this:

11/57 Euro, probably UT delivered, with large style/vertical screw spacing coat hooks on the B-pillar (right in pic above). 11/57 is in the middle of the other Westy's Eric listed as having the V-hooks.

12/59 SO-23, Japan delivery/USA specs., with original large style/off-set screw spacing coat hooks on the B-pillar(left/center in the pic above).

Interesting that there seems to be so many 57-58's with original V-hooks on the B-pillar; I understood that all earlier Westy's would have had the large style hooks, and never knew there were 2 different screw patterns/hook shapes.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: