Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Turn signals don't work
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccdirtyone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: 1969 Turn signals don't work Reply with quote

Well I am looking for some help, how many hot wires go to the turn signal? I am trying to get my baja turn signals to work. The emergency flashers work but not the turn.

Please help! ccdirtyone
kjvforme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be one and it's black with white and green stripe going to terminal 54BL on the directional switch. You say your relay is clicking when in emergency? I would make sure the wire coming off of the relay, the 49a terminal is hooked up, should have a cable adapter below it and a blue wire that goes to the same terminal. Double check fuse 2 and fuse 9 to make sure they'are still good.

If you need help locally try joining and contacting these guys in your area for assistance. http://www.mcvw.org/
ccdirtyone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will try to search the wires a little more.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emergency flasher relay setup in 1969 would choose between two different power sources, one for flashers and one for turn signals. Turn signals only get power with the ignition key on, that's the black wire going to from the first fuse on the left over to terminal 15 on the flasher switch. Terminal 30 on the switch gets its power from fuse 9.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd check and make sure that when your e-flasher switch is "off" that it's connecting terminal "+" (49) over to terminal 15.

Since VW never issued a proper wiring diagram after mid 68 when they changed the flasher relay, a while back I combined/redrew a couple of other diagrams into the one found here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_68_69_usa.jpg

Hope that helps some!
-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccdirtyone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the help . I hate wiring!
I started tracing wires and now the damn thing wouldn't start. so back to square one. Do you guy know of a good place to get a whole new wiring harness for the 69'-70' years.

Please bare with me everyone this is not my first vw but it is so jacked up from the PO that it is hard to find a starting point.
ccdirtyone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: here is what I'm woring with Reply with quote

This is what it looks like

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/thumbnails/747976.jpg
ccdirtyone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: try again sorry Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh - well that's certainly not the VW flasher relay. And lots of changes to the wiring. Hard to say what all is right and what is wrong in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: