Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Odd rear bumper
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Odd rear bumper Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone seen a rear bumper with that odd center pressing before?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it goes with the hole in the deck lid and apron. There are two holes in the depression also not to mention type I muffler cutouts Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

My vote, hillbilly PTO or crankstart mount for driver with one arm Very Happy
Culito

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-factory for sure.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like it just got hit or backed into something. Above the flat is a raised pooch and to the left and right of the left pea-shooters are a fold consistent with a bash. I know it's a far stretch to believe that it got that perfect of a dent without vee-ing it in but that's my official guess.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any pics right now, but I think it had one of those Westy style hitches that bolted flat against the bumper with an oval or oblong flange shaped like that (looks like a hole at each end). Just keep tightening those bolts until it squishes down tight Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I can't find any pics right now, but I think it had one of those Westy style hitches that bolted flat against the bumper with an oval or oblong flange shaped like that (looks like a hole at each end). Just keep tightening those bolts until it squishes down tight Razz

...with the perfect impression enhanced by a low-speed tag in the hitch! Very plausible.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mtb7001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a huge fan of Formula racing in the 60's I must say I love this pic. 2 things stand out for me, the patch of what appears to be rust next to the TC door, and of course what would be a decade later in South Dakota be called "Hog Racks"
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

...with the perfect impression enhanced by a low-speed tag in the hitch! Very plausible.

But what is behind that hitch (inside of bumper) that would allow it to make that impression if you over tightened the bolts?

I can't imagine that backing into something hard enough to make that impression would not also bend the crap out of the bumper.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
hitest wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

But what is behind that hitch (inside of bumper) that would allow it to make that impression if you over tightened the bolts?

I can't imagine that backing into something hard enough to make that impression would not also bend the crap out of the bumper.

There's usually a crossbar between the bumper and body, or bolts onto the back of a Unimog or other solid steel thing, here's a pic of one on a bay in Malta, ignore the crazy engine hack Shocked
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: