Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fridge replacement projects - post here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

It's a $100 premium for the VF51 ac/dc v. TF49 on Westyventures. Karl says he sells 90% TF but I chose the VF for the latch, white LEDs and hoped for insulated door. Turns out I probably won't use the latch 'cause I'll install it using the oem Westy door. I really don't care about country of origin as long as kids ain't assembling it.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Jim, if you are planning to duplicate the installation like svxcarat, the door itself is not used, only the inner door shell. PM me or call me tomorrow for more details.

Karl, just saw your note. Ill check in later. Thanks!

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

I could have point out to you the trade offs of preserving the Westfalia door at the expense of the heat (cold if you may) loss of the door. Additionally, you have to center the fridge vertically to keep the Westfalia integrity if that is important to you. This mean foregoing the ability to utilize the few hundred cu. cm of space for something else. I celebrate anyone who have the sensibility to preserve the integrity of the Westfalia conversion. I chose my route for my own design aesthetics and at the end, I like a touch of my own aesthetics.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

As much as I like using hidden vacant spaces, I like preserving the Westy curves in the cabinets even more. The TF installations vary, with some being quite nice (including your orange door, which I personally would not do), but inserting a TF/VF behind the stock door is very appealing to me. I'll also explore ways to use the small vacant spaces. I'm sure I'll find something that can be stored in there.

Abscate wrote:

candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
chase4food wrote:
Based on the few photos you shared, I see very little evidence that the Vitrifrigo being all that different from Truckfridge. I will add that they both look remarkably the same with very minor differences. They bear many signs of rolling off the same factory in China to me - and I admit I don't have the inside scoop. The most important points of these fridges is, they all have the same excellent Danfoss DC compressor guts.

The bottom line question from me is, is your fridge price competitive with the Truckfridge, after factoring in the spectrum correct LED lightbulb?

Both being Indel products, yes they are very similar. The TF49 is built in China, the C51 VF in Italy. There are differences in the shelf adjustability, latch design, thermostat, and other minor differences.
FWIW, both are now delivered with white LEDs.

How can I get a white LED? My TF65 was delivered just last week with the blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

candyman wrote:

I can get them or call Truckfridge. I might be mistaken on the color, recently I've seen both blue and white.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post h Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
candyman wrote:

I can get them or call Truckfridge. I might be mistaken on the color, recently I've seen both blue and white.

Sweet thanks! Love the fridge, did two solid days of camping and battery was at 12.3v after two days with other uses, not too shabby. Made ice cubes in less than two hours taboot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pipodayo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

I'm in the process of doing the same installation with my tf-49. How did you manage to disassemble the Tf49 door (before screwing it to the westy door)?
it's easy to remove the front panel but could't find how to remove the bezel (without breaking it)?
Thanks!

Pcforno wrote:
I did the same thing on my truckfridge tf-49. Sorry didn't take pictures. Just make a shelf with aluminum brackets followed by plywood and slide the new fridge in. You will have to trim the inner support bracket on the driver side wall to make it fit. Used an angle grinder to make quick work of it. Then make some careful measurements before mounting the fridge door back on the old westy door. I used a thin, highly insulativ material between the truckfridge door and the westy cabinet. It's actually more insulative than the previous door with only a very thin layer. It's called aerogel spaceloft. you can secure the final position of the fridge using long wood screws from either side of the cabinet into the sides of the fridge insulation. Just make sure you get the depth of the fridge right by opening and closing the door before screwing the fridge in place. It's pretty easy install, really.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

IIRC, the plastic bezel and the refrigerator seal is simply glued to the truck fridge door. Just cut behind it and separate form the door and styrofoam. I used that aerogel stuff as once you're done there is only plastic door left and no insulation other than the original westy door. Hope that helps
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

I really like the look of the Dometic Waeco CRX-50. It was introduced last Fall and has a removable freezer compartment.

http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/EPiServer/Domet..._30569.pdf

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pipodayo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Ok thanks , I'll try soon!

Pcforno wrote:
IIRC, the plastic bezel and the refrigerator seal is simply glued to the truck fridge door. Just cut behind it and separate form the door and styrofoam. I used that aerogel stuff as once you're done there is only plastic door left and no insulation other than the original westy door. Hope that helps
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Vitrifrigo 51 install begins...

It's a start...

Door fits in aperture...

Removing the seal from the door...

Removing the trim...

More later...

Abscate wrote:

slackin' at work
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

candyman wrote:

and for the record. a standard vanagon interior light LED festoon light bulb works fine in the truckfridge.
I just had one laying around so gave it a shot. it's a bit longer than the TF bulb but there is plenty of
adjustment in the light socket for it to fit without issue.
`84 MK1 GTI
`76 Brasilia
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

slackin' at work wrote:
candyman wrote:

and for the record. a standard vanagon interior light LED festoon light bulb works fine in the truckfridge.
I just had one laying around so gave it a shot. it's a bit longer than the TF bulb but there is plenty of
adjustment in the light socket for it to fit without issue.

That's great to know, thanks for sharing that. I actually have several laying around and never thought to try one
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Here's a look at my install of a Vitrofrigo 51 (Truckfridge 49) using the oem Westy cabinet door (inspired by previous posters in this thread). I just measured the temp of the ice packs in the freezer and they were below 10*f. The cup of water on the bottom shelf was freezing (I had it set on 10).

VF fridge concealed behind Westy door...

Voila...

Fridge behind fascia...

VF door stripped of trim but with insulation in tact. The VF fridge door is about an inch thick...

Back of fridge trimmed to accommodate Vanagon brace (also trimmed to accommodate the fridge)...

VF door trimmed about 3/8"...

VF fridge door offset about 3/8" towards the front of the van...

Offsetting the VF door 3/8" was the biggest gumption trap. This allowed the VF door to fit into the aperture of the cabinet. I had to think about it overnight.

I still have some trim to complete and I may install an inverter and other bits below the fridge. The cutting of the brace for the van's side panel was slightly unnerving but I've gotten over it.

Overall I'm pleased because I wanted to keep the stock Westy cabinet look. Truth be told, I'd like to replace the Westy kitchen with something more space efficient some day. At that point, retaining the oem Westy look won't be so important, but that day may never come.

Abscate wrote:

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Jim, you've just voided any warranty on the fridge. Sad Modifying the brace in the wall more would've been a far better option, or reducing the door insulation. Or moving the cabinet out from the wall an inch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

I wonder if the VF-51 has a wider door than the TF-49? My Similar TF-49 install didn't have to hang over the aft portion of the westy door at all. Nice install. On thing I did to make it look better with the door open was use some of the leftover aluminum L braces on top of the fridge and below it at the fridge opening to make some fascia so there was no unsightly gap in the cabinet when the door was opened. I sprayed them brown (Grey) in your case. Also, I cut a small notch on the backside of the rubber grommet on the door so th latch would fit nicely and the rubber not buckle. Looks good!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Unfortunately, Jim, you've just voided any warranty on the fridge. Sad Modifying the brace in the wall more would've been a far better option, or reducing the door insulation. Or moving the cabinet out from the wall an inch.

Thanks, Karl. Doesn't modifying the door as needed (either as I did or by removing all the door insulation as others have done) also void the warranty? Regardless, I wasn't keen on removing insulation from the door so this was preferable for me (although I never considered the warranty implications but wouldn't have changed course if I did).

I'll be watching frost build up to ensure I have a good seal at the door. Are there other tips on how to check the seal?

Thanks again for for all your support on this over the years.

Edit:

"The warranty does not include the following: damages or defects caused by changes to or tampering with the product and its parts"

After reading the warranty, it appears that any mod (dismantling the front door, removing the insulation, cutting a channel out of the back of the box, etc.) will void the warranty, i.e. preserving the Westy cabinet comes with costs (probably some loss of efficiency, loss of warranty, etc.) to consider.

On another note, the inside of the van was 100* f this afternoon and ice packs in the freezer measured -6* f. I can't wait to have a functional fridge and freezer this summer!!!

Abscate wrote:

Last edited by jimf909 on Mon May 02, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
I wonder if the VF-51 has a wider door than the TF-49? My Similar TF-49 install didn't have to hang over the aft portion of the westy door at all. Nice install. On thing I did to make it look better with the door open was use some of the leftover aluminum L braces on top of the fridge and below it at the fridge opening to make some fascia so there was no unsightly gap in the cabinet when the door was opened. I sprayed them brown (Grey) in your case. Also, I cut a small notch on the backside of the rubber grommet on the door so th latch would fit nicely and the rubber not buckle. Looks good!

I'm guessing they're the same sizes but clearances were just a bit different? Also, the inch or so of insulation may have changed the geometry a bit. Thanks for the tips on finishing the trim. I'm still wondering how I might use the space. It's really quite accessible with just having to remove 5 screws to get to it.

Abscate wrote:

MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

For those looking to reduce there fridges power consumption (and improve its temp control) the Isotherm Smart Energy Controller is compatible with danfoss/secop 35 and 50 compressors. Its basically a bolt on, minus the need to install a new temp sensor inside the fridge. Here are some pics from my install. Supposedly it can reduce power consumption by over-cooling the fridge when charging power is available, and by reducing compressor cycling by dynamically controlling compressor speed. The SEC can be found for around 100$ or less.

Supposedly savings of 25-50% are possible. Given that the fridge is the top power user for many of us, $100 is a great investment for the AH savings.

DSC06475 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06476 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06477 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06478 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06480 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06479 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06481 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06483 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06484 by J Luth, on Flickr

DSC06487 by J Luth, on Flickr
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 34

Jump to: