Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fridge replacement projects - post here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipodayo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

in order to install a Tf49 concealed behind original Westy door, which is the best (or the less worst!) ? :

- trim the vanagon inner bracket (structural issues?)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- trim the back of the fridge like previous post on this page)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

More precisely: trim one of the above plus the insulation from the TF door (about an inch thick) or trim both the Vanagon body brace and the back of the fridge and retain the insulation on the TF door (that's the option I chose).

Regardless, the TF 49 is too deep to fit behind the Westy door w/out considerable hacking to the fridge, van or both (one could also pull the Westy cabinet out an inch or more which falls into the category of hacking the van).

I hope that helps.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
pipodayo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

since I already removed the door insulation I will now trim the vanagon brace !
Thanks
guycadieux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

This is my first post. Nothing special on this tf65 install. Cold and lots of room! And I also like the extra drawer. But the fridge requires an auxiliary battery and charger project to have a decent autonomy. I will post pictures of the two 6Volt batteries and charger locations soon. Thx to all for your ideas.

Guy
Syncro Westy 86, 2003 Suby
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Welcome, and nice job on the fridge.

guycadieux wrote:
This is my first post. Nothing special on this tf65 install. Cold and lots of room! And I also like the extra drawer. But the fridge requires an auxiliary battery and charger project to have a decent autonomy. I will post pictures of the two 6Volt batteries and charger locations soon. Thx to all for your ideas.

Guy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
Welcome, and nice job on the fridge.

guycadieux wrote:

Guy

The t65 is my single best upgrade in 19 years of vanagon ownership, followed closely by the propex. With my 100 amp battery and 100 watt solar battery have yet wanted for more power. I also installed an iota converter because I was struggling getting my agm battery fully charged when at home. This is also a nice upgrade as it allows you to have shore power for all your aux stuff when at home before a trip or when at a campground that has electric. Enjoy the plethora of ice cold beer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Did you guys all insulate around your tf 49 or other fridges?

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

So my td49 worked on 12v just fine. I then plugged it in all night to prepare for departure. Now it's back to 12v and dead as a door nail.

Any suggestions?

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

designer wrote:
So my td49 worked on 12v just fine. I then plugged it in all night to prepare for departure. Now it's back to 12v and dead as a door nail.

Any suggestions?

Check the fuse? Does the interior light come on?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

designer wrote:
Did you guys all insulate around your tf 49 or other fridges?

No. Insulation may help conserve battery power but I'm too busy stirring manhattans with ice or eating ice cream to worry about it. Very Happy

With adequate solar/battery, insulation would have a negligible affect on operations. It may be helpful if trying to run the fridge for days with a 50 watt panel and 50 ah battery but I'd first recommend increasing solar and battery capacity.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I really like the look of the Dometic Waeco CRX-50. It was introduced last Fall and has a removable freezer compartment.

http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/EPiServer/Domet..._30569.pdf

Has anyone tried installing one of these?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Those links above are dead so I added a picture to the gallery, courtesy of CampingVan Culture in the UK. http://campervanculture.com/shop/waeco-crx50-12v-compressor-fridge/

This is the stainless version which looks nice but Raney Truck Parts has the the black front version for $495 USD less $25 for first time customers. http://www.raneystruckparts.com/truck-fridge-built...IcEALw_wcB That is the cheapest I have seen them. This is certainly the way I would go. There are detailed features listed on CampingVan Cultures site but from memory it has a variable speed compressor to save energy, has a sleek push button control panel, the same DanFoss compressor they all have, Dometic quality, the removable freezer compartment which allows it to be a huge freezer, or just a larger fridge plus the freezer compartment goes all the way across because the controls are on the side.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Dometic quality, the removable freezer compartment which allows it to be a huge freezer, or just a larger fridge plus the freezer compartment goes all the way across because the controls are on the side.

I think that may be a misprint/misquote - I don't believe the unit has the reserve cooling to be a 'freezer' but a huge fridge instead, when the removable freezer compartment is removed. Freezers will be capable of taking the entire contents down to -10 F. Full freezers use a bigger cooling unit IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

You're probably right Karl and I hope I didn 't mislead anyone. I got that from the Dometic site, "The Dometic CoolMatic CRX 50 offers 45 l of cool storage and an optional 4.4 l of freezer space. Providing a 3-in-1 solution, you can choose between having: a fridge, freezer or both at the same time!".
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Thanks for posting! That's a really good looking replacement, and it seems to fit well in the old fridge location. Hard to believe they're selling any version of this for under $500!

edit:
After looking at the models available, I think there's an important distinction between the CRX-50, which is DC only, and the CRX-1050E, which is AC/DC. The Ryder model is a 50. The lowest prices I'm seeing for a 1050 are in the $700 range. Not widely available here in the US.

Has anyone here actually seen one in action?

Last edited by moxbox on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Kkinsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Karl,

Any chance you may carry these in the future or if you have any thoughts on them in comparison to the TF49?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
davevickery wrote:
Dometic quality, the removable freezer compartment which allows it to be a huge freezer, or just a larger fridge plus the freezer compartment goes all the way across because the controls are on the side.

I think that may be a misprint/misquote - I don't believe the unit has the reserve cooling to be a 'freezer' but a huge fridge instead, when the removable freezer compartment is removed. Freezers will be capable of taking the entire contents down to -10 F. Full freezers use a bigger cooling unit IIRC.

My Dometic CFX65 DZUS can do just that, it is either a fridge, fridge/freezer or full freezer. Works awesome!
moxbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Kkinsch wrote:
Karl,

Any chance you may carry these in the future or if you have any thoughts on them in comparison to the TF49?

I would buy one from you if you did Smile
Kkinsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

moxbox wrote:
Kkinsch wrote:
Karl,

I would buy one from you if you did Smile

X2 on this. I really like the stainless look with the gray interior
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

No plans to carry anything additional as there are possible 'different plans' in the winds for the next year +.

The chest style fridges have wrap-around cooling in the box, that's why they can be full freezer function.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 34

Jump to: