Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

My 86 multivan.
My daughter in Montana had given birth to an extremely premature boy.
They were immediately life flighted to Denver Children's Hospital where she eventually spent a year.
She utilized the Ronald McDonald House for that year....... a fantastic charity and worthy of any support by all who can do so. She lived and ate for free, it made a horrible time in her life somewhat palatable.

Anyway as their school ended we offered and paid to fly the four other children East for the entire Summer. The youngest was 4 and the oldest 8.
My youngest Daughter flew back East with them after a visit in Denver.

At the end of a long and expense Summer we were planning on driving them all to Montana in my recently rehabbed VW Camper.

This trip was the Maiden journey and I was running a few days late when we finally set out heavily loaded with all their stuff, my Wife, myself, 4 kids and a Golden Retriever..... for Reading Pa to my Daughters house.
The only local test drive has been about six miles to Dairy Queen for ice cream the night before.
Just East of Reading moving along well on I-78 the Coolant light pops on and the gauge rises........ a cloud of steam in the rear view mirrorr.......
lo and behold! An exit!

I killed the engine all the while singing "crap! Crap! Crap!" In my head ..... or out loud....... I don't remember.

We coasted off on an exit with zero services and an incline.
I decided to keep rolling and get over the crest so I briefly started the engine figuring any damage is already done.
A Very brief burst of power and shut it down again. We cleared the crest and down we went.... down down down following a heavily treed and curvy road.
My logic was that at the bottom would be a creek........
We rounded a curve and there was a brand new housing development!
Only one house was completed. It was late in the day and the place was abandoned.
I pulled to a stop on the street still on a downward incline.
"Dear God ..... let there be an outside spigot with water"
And there was!!
It was the model home ready to show and fully functional..... I had Water!

We also had Cell Service.
I called my Daughter in Reading and she left to come rescue us.

I look under and saw wet at the front end ..... right side.
I dropped the spare tire and quickly saw a radiator hose just hanging loose with a brand new clamp still on it.

As I dug out my tools up pulled a police car..... I thought crap, he'll want me to move along.
It was an older gentleman, a Grandfather himself, who listened to my plight and understood.
He ended up being an ideal public Servant and made my Grandchildren's day by
Entertaining them all with the wonders of his police car.

I hooked up the hose and filled up with water from the house.
The development had a steep entry road that I nosed the front of the van down while I filled and burped the cooling system with the rear up while running.

My Daughter pulled up and took all the kids and my Wife.

I was running and leak free.
They left for her house, I thanked the officer profusely and I would have tipped him generously if such things were allowed......

I pulled out my GPS and plotted a non interstate path to Reading.

My dog and I wandered cautiously through unknown backroads in the dark watching the temperature gauge like a hawk.

I spent the next two Days in Reading.
I put in proper coolant and double checked the entire Van for more possible stupid over sights.

All seemed well so off we went to Montana staying off the Interstates and major highways for a long while.
It wasn't until Ohio Indiana and Illinois that I ventured onto a freeway and only to escape the endless traffic lights and grid lock of that area.

We were now days behind, no chance of arriving before school starts and traveling slow.
We basically said "F-it" and mentally removed the deadline from our psyche.
Sadly, being so behind we traveled long days with frequent stops. We stayed in hotels instead of camping because of the long days.
I slept in the Van with the dog and at times, the boys.
We made it fun, met lots of great people even had a few adventures. Lots of memories anyway.
We arrived a week late........
Oh well, there was so much stress what with the sick baby..... no one cared that we even arrived. My Daughter was in Denver, my Son in Law barely holding it together in Montana.
He was thrilled to se his kids but I suspect also overwhelmed.

We basically dropped the kids and ran.
Headed West to Ashland Oregon to see my Brothers.

The coolant drop did zero damage.
That Engine has run faithfully since that day with multiple cross country journeys. It lives in Tacoma Washington today and still runs faithfully.

You don't realize how nice strangers are until you have distress and need help.

I now carry GALLONS OF WATER with me.
To drink if I must ...... but mainly to refill my cooling system should the need arise in some lonely arid region.
Yeah..... it takes up space and adds weight but it is my mental comfort blanket.
I probably will never have that need again, but hey! If I see you stranded and needing water...... I'm your man!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

You don't do stupid things,Dave, just forgetful like the time you had trouble diagnosing a no start and hours later discovered there was no gas in the tank.

I've had my share of loose hose clamps as well

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

Ah..... a make fun of Dave thread Eh? 😂🤔
It is OK, I'm the youngest of four boys....... being picked on was part of my growing up "normal" routine.........

All is well, just kidding .....

Seriously, a good idea for a thread..... though if one were to search there is probably an old one somewhere...... as has been written "...... there is nothing new under the Sun......" or on thesamba.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

C’mon, Folks, insert your blunders here! Laughing

I have plenty. Embarassed

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PJ Snow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

I drove from Colorado to Anchorage Alaska, down to Seattle and on the way
back to Colorado, about 100 miles from home, the transmission self destructed going up Vail pass. FYI 1980 Vanagon transaxles dont hold up to Subaru power plants no matter how gentle your are. That was the most expensive mishap.

A few weeks ago we took the tintop to Galveston, Texas from Colorado and ran out of gas 5 miles from the nearest gas station on the return trip. The rack that holds the spare gas can was on the van. Before we left my wife asked if we should throw the can on just in case. I thought we didnt need it. You should always trust a woman's intuition and listen to your wife.
Luckily it was only $175 for the tow company to bring us gas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

Years ago, preparing to run the 86 to Oregon again. I did a pre-trip inspection, the usual things, brakes, hoses, oil change, fluid levels, etc.

All was set right or looked good to go and off we went!

I rarely take Interstates or freeways if there are viable alternatives.

We were once again aimed towards Montana only this time we were in Northern Nebraska running Neb 12 just below South Dakota.

The Van developed an odd "clunk" when ever I hit a concrete joint or tar strip at speed.
Everything worked ok but there was a wide spot ahead so I pulled off and got out.
First thing I noticed were the signs...... essentially saying that these prairie dogs probably have the blubonic plague and to keep pets away from the area.
Well...... my dog was less than thrilled......

Anyway I checked the vehicle, lug nuts, suspension, steering, etc the best I could in the gravel.
Nothing was amiss so we continued on.

The Van handled well, ran well, etc.
that clunk bothered me...... it bothered me into South Dakota, into Wyoming and into Montana.

I got to my Daughters house where we visited, it was scary cold so I didn't work on the Van..... what's to look at anyway?

We took off to Boise Idaho and still had that clunk!
Visited an old (literally) friend in Boise but She didn't have a spot I could work on my Van and as I said, everything worked as it should.
We left Boise and set off for Burns Oregon.
Night fell and we continued towards Burns planning to get a hotel room.
Along the way I had to make a panic stop, that clunk clunked like it never clunked before!

Hmmm.....l I stopped, again in the dark checked out obvious safety malfunctions and decided to investigate farther in Burns.

I got a Motel with parking outside the room not far from the NAPA store.

The next morning I bundled up, got out my jack and tools and set to work.
I felt it was in the front so I pulled the drivers wheel...... all looked good, the lug nuts were tight as was everything I checked.

Moved over to the passenger side and pulled the wheel.
I immediately saw a scar on the inside of the wheel.
Hmmmmmm..... looking more closely there was a rub mark on the brake caliper...... looking even more closely one on the 6mm bolts that holds the caliper on?
It wasn't there!

I must not have fully tightened that bolt when I inspected the brakes at home.
It must have fallen out in Nebraska.
The road bumps caused it to bounce up and hit the wheel.

When I panic stopped the caliper must have swung up onto a position not seen on gentle braking.

Now...... I carry a crap load of spares. Parts, wires, zip ties, sealant and hardware.
Do you think I had a spare 6 mm bolt?
Of course not!

I walked to NAPA, I wanted to get a belt anyway......

I screwed in that bolt, tightened them both and reassembled.
Jacked up the other side and checked the bolts.

All was good from there forth!

I now carry spare 6mm bolts.

I feel comforted by the fact that even if I had lost the other bolt too, it would be physically impossible for the caliper to fall off.
I would never have lost brakes.

I'm an easy driver, I look far ahead and anticipate stops and problems then plan for the event.
Rarely do I ever really brake hard.
You would probably hate being behind me.........

Cause of the problem?

In a word......... Me.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Ah..... a make fun of Dave thread Eh? 😂🤔

Is this gonna be a nicey nicey topic or a roast? Because there's a lot of roast comments that will violate the rules... along with laws in 40 of the 50 states.

Just asking.

Hey Dave, your zipper is open. Very Happy

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

About six weeks into the road and being a very new van to us, we went up a little two-track road off of a pass just north of Chiricahua National Monument.

The road revealed no immediate sites, it was almost dark, so I asked the Missus to stand on the passenger side and help me back up and *not* miss a little bend right before reaching the pass again.

What I failed to realize was that I couldn’t hear a thing over the engine. I backed up a bit too far, and the right-rear went past the bend and we were immediately tipped at a very bad angle, and leaning towards the van tipping right over — moving forward wasn’t an option, whereas years later I realized with a Peloquin it would have been.

Right then it got *really* dark as a thunderstorm moved in. Yay, now the berm will get soft and weaken the earth the van needed to not fall over!

We pitched the tent and had one long night… I’d hear a squirrel and say “IS THAT THE VAN???!!!” I’d hear a branch in the wind and shout “OH GOD, THAT’S THE VAN!!!”

About 16 hours later, a farm family showed up; the dad, a young girl maybe 15, and a young boy about 12. No Embarassed there whatsoever.

The dad carefully put a chain onto my left-rear, got good tension on it at a steep angle, I steered hard left to keep it atop the road, and he pulled us out.

I could have kissed them, but gave raving Thanks instead.

— Colin Chapman
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

From a couple of years ago.
'91 tarptop has been running really well. Starts up with barely a 90º rotation. When I returned from an errand, I noticed a gas smell. Uh oh. A gas smell from a T3 is NOT GOOD!!! Opened the engine hatch and felt around and looked. Nothing wet, no drips. Looked under and checked the fuel pump, filter and tank connections. Dry. Nothing on the ground for dripping off.

Odd. Stuff came up and didn't drive for a day or two. Went out this morning and removed the tranny hatch so I could get a really good look.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nothing. Turned on the key and pressurized the line. Nothing. Hmmmm. I've never had a single fuel line problem in the 60 years I've owned rear engined VDubs. But then, I've never had a 31 year old T3 before either. The lines on the current gal were replaced when I bought her 8 years ago. Never having had any problems, I assumed that if I got 31 years out of the original set, then I should at least be able to get 15 or so out of the replacements.

So turned the key again and tried to start. Cranked for 4 ish seconds, but not even a cough. Odd. Turned off the key and looked back in the tranny hatch. HOLY MOLY!!! It looks like a New York fire boat welcoming a new ship into the harbor.

This is really strange. These pinholes are in the area where I was working to install the new starter and ground strap, but even at my advancing age, I'm pretty sure I didn't use a porcupine as a tool while doing this. And they all showed up at the same time. Had to be sabotage. Mark/Crazyvanman correctly diagnosed the mice culprits. There are no leaks other than this one area. Very weird. I was spraying PB Blaster around to free my stuck clutch shaft????

In looking at this, I saw that none of the gas was reaching the ground. It either landed on the tranny and was pooling among the fins or went to the PS and landed and ran along and evaporated before dripping off. Super glad I have the tranny hatch, as this would have been far harder to diagnose and deal with from underneath. Another ugly part of the gas leak. On the way to the FLAPS, it seemed like maybe I should first top off the tank since the gas gauge wasn't working. I had only driven 75 miles since the last fill up, but just to be on the safe side. Went to the ethanol free pump and expected to put in about 4 gallons. It took 15.5!!! $83.0 I must have sprayed out 11 gallons during some of my last drives and never knew it. How I didn't burn up my lovely is something to be truly grateful for.

Ordered the complete kit from BD before I discovered the leak as well as some new injector rails from GW as I thought perhaps the 31 year old plastic might be weeping. This isn't weeping, it's a Niagara torrent. Got a call from BD and the kit is on BO. One to two weeks. So some 5/16ths FLAPS hose until the parts arrive.

Fixed with the proper hose running all the way from the fuel pump with no splices.

Duncan
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
From a couple of years ago.
'91 tarptop has been running really well. Starts up with barely a 90º rotation. When I returned from an errand, I noticed a gas smell. Uh oh. A gas smell from a T3 is NOT GOOD!!! Opened the engine hatch and felt around and looked. Nothing wet, no drips. Looked under and checked the fuel pump, filter and tank connections. Dry. Nothing on the ground for dripping off.

Odd. Stuff came up and didn't drive for a day or two. Went out this morning and removed the tranny hatch so I could get a really good look.

Nothing. Turned on the key and pressurized the line. Nothing. Hmmmm. I've never had a single fuel line problem in the 60 years I've owned rear engined VDubs. But then, I've never had a 31 year old T3 before either. The lines on the current gal were replaced when I bought her 8 years ago. Never having had any problems, I assumed that if I got 31 years out of the original set, then I should at least be able to get 15 or so out of the replacements.

So turned the key again and tried to start. Cranked for 4 ish seconds, but not even a cough. Odd. Turned off the key and looked back in the tranny hatch. HOLY MOLY!!! It looks like a New York fire boat welcoming a new ship into the harbor.

This is really strange. These pinholes are in the area where I was working to install the new starter and ground strap, but even at my advancing age, I'm pretty sure I didn't use a porcupine as a tool while doing this. And they all showed up at the same time. Had to be sabotage. Mark/Crazyvanman correctly diagnosed the mice culprits. There are no leaks other than this one area. Very weird. I was spraying PB Blaster around to free my stuck clutch shaft????

In looking at this, I saw that none of the gas was reaching the ground. It either landed on the tranny and was pooling among the fins or went to the PS and landed and ran along and evaporated before dripping off. Super glad I have the tranny hatch, as this would have been far harder to diagnose and deal with from underneath. Another ugly part of the gas leak. On the way to the FLAPS, it seemed like maybe I should first top off the tank since the gas gauge wasn't working. I had only driven 75 miles since the last fill up, but just to be on the safe side. Went to the ethanol free pump and expected to put in about 4 gallons. It took 15.5!!! $83.0 I must have sprayed out 11 gallons during some of my last drives and never knew it. How I didn't burn up my lovely is something to be truly grateful for.

Ordered the complete kit from BD before I discovered the leak as well as some new injector rails from GW as I thought perhaps the 31 year old plastic might be weeping. This isn't weeping, it's a Niagara torrent. Got a call from BD and the kit is on BO. One to two weeks. So some 5/16ths FLAPS hose until the parts arrive.

Fixed with the proper hose running all the way from the fuel pump with no splices.

Duncan

Make sure your FLAPS hose carries a 30r9 rating.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

From the topic, but not copied before.
New on the left and fire boat hose on the right. And check the specs.

Duncan
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

The proper hose needs to say 30r9 on it and have a rating of 225-250 psi. If it also say 30r14 then so much the better, but it needs the 30r9 rating to start with.

30r14 hose can be low pressure or high pressure, it's the 30r9 rating that says it is high pressure hose suitable for fuel injection.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

thank you, Wildthings, for being the whip carrier, the hammer, the Sodo of change-yer-gear-oil for 30R9 rated hose. it's really important. AND confusing!

for European hose, DIN 73379 3D and DIN 73379 3E are the equivalents to 30R9 in terms of working and burst pressure.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

I’ll throw down another one…

We have a custom hanger I made across the entire rear; I call the “Hillbilly Hanger.” It holds all our jackets and warm clothes in general, covers the back window entirely, and is accessible from inside or out by opening the hatch.

Late one day, we left our campsite just to drive a mile for some hardware. I told the Missus, “I wonder if we have a slight exhaust leak, it sounds kinda loud.” We hadn’t driven for several days so thought little about it.

Got the hardware, drove to a second stop, and notice a guy following us into a parking lot. I got out, he smiled, and said “Your hatch is open...”

— Colin Chapman
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I’ll throw down another one…

We have a custom hanger I made across the entire rear; I call the “Hillbilly Hanger.” It holds all our jackets and warm clothes in general, covers the back window entirely, and is accessible from inside or out by opening the hatch.

Late one day, we left our campsite just to drive a mile for some hardware. I told the Missus, “I wonder if we have a slight exhaust leak, it sounds kinda loud.” We hadn’t driven for several days so thought little about it.

Got the hardware, drove to a second stop, and notice a guy following us into a parking lot. I got out, he smiled, and said “Your hatch is open...”

Wow, yeah that's pretty goofy. I can't imagine driving away from a campsite with the hatch open. Oh...wait...never mind. Laughing

Of course, I've never pulled into a low parking garage with my skylight wide open either...
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

Nooo, God, NOOOOO!!!!!!! Laughing

Wink

— Colin Chapman
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

A few years ago I backed up into my garage with the skylight open...

TWICE ! in about a month Shocked Rolling Eyes Embarassed
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

Well heck, as long as it was the same skylight AND the roof was down, you’re lookin’ pretty smart so far. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

Nope.. smashed to bits both times...I like The Skylight Guy but not that much Laughing
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures involving break-downs and those stupid things we do. Reply with quote

Provided any significant other didn’t notice and your stock pile was hidden, you’re still golden… well, until your posts anyway. Wink Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: