Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

54 Double Door (21E)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: 54 Double Door (21E) Reply with quote

Hey,i'll start with introducing myself im lindsay jamieson,im a 25yr old mechanic fae bonnie scotland Very Happy ,ive been mooching about here for leaving random comments for a while Razz ,never had my own computer to do this before but now i do im gonna do a build thread and hope to keep it up to date as poss(please ignore any crap writing and dodgy spelling please Razz )

this is my 4th split since 2006,ive had 59'sc,65 hitop and a 60'dd,never was totally happy with the previous buses knowing there was somthing way more hardcore out there,so decided to go barndoor hunting Cool i thought bd's were abit of a minefield of a thing to buy,so i had spoke to Iain branks(49barndoor on here) through pm before and knew he had 4(greedy bugger! Razz)and knew he knew a fair bit about these(which is a massive under statement Laughing )so i went him for advice-low and bloody behold he said it was my lucky day and that 54dd may be for sale!

me and Iain now have a workshop together and are both working on our vans daily as we dragged his 50'kombi down here too so you may get to see the progress with that too

so i bought this Cool the day we brought it home
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it was brought into the uk from what we think switzerland in 1976 and on the road till about 1985,since then the details are a little sketchy,but basically a vee-dubber has kept hold of it since god knows when,attempted to weld it up-very poorly i'll add! Evil or Very Mad so not only am i going to have fix alot of rust,im gonna have to cut out and re-do lots of crap repairs!
it will stay as og/stock as possible,money and tools permitting and not be getting lowered(big cheers from the stock nazi's please!)
hope to get it on the road as soon as poss without cutting corners

first i buffed the crap 40 million resprays of down to a primer(the og paint is wrecked btw) to rid the body of bondo and see any old repairs which there hasnt been much of,seems like it has an easy life,just not well looked after

dang hippies! Shocked Laughing bet this van could tell stories

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you took that pic. That mural tells more than you could possibly imagine. Shocked

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll notice the patina front badge rust mark has a split between the v and the w,it has had an early front fitted to it,not so great ethier,im gonna split the window pillars and section them as they have been but welded Rolling Eyes

oh an chassis no is 20-097603 so barndoor guru Tonny if your watching,it would be great if you could stick it on the register please!il let you pick the pictures! Very Happy

was thinking of making these bigger to fit some late bay rear lights Razz Razz

the og engine is nowhere to be seen,that was a 1500-bye bye Laughing ,but i do have a decent 36hp waiting for it-cheers again Iain :wink
:

some more pics,itl be in some kind of order soon with better quality too,got a 8mega pixel camera on my phone now! Very Happy

og paint or a primer delivered bus?looks like one of the grey/beige colours to me

My build thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
Good you took that pic. That mural tells more than you could possibly imagine. Shocked

what that some hippies fired up on funny coloured mushrooms were let loose near a vw with paint!? Razz Laughing

My build thread.
Let There Be More Light
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 54DOUBLE DOOR(21E) Reply with quote

Quote:

Nice pink floyd mural Laughing too bad they picked a barndoor to put it in...
i have the exact sticker on the back of my panel
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: 54DOUBLE DOOR(21E) Reply with quote

Let There Be More Light wrote:
Quote:

Nice pink floyd mural Laughing too bad they picked a barndoor to put it in...
i have the exact sticker on the back of my panel

Oh wow! Cool i didnt know what it was,i like em,but im no pink floyd expert-well cool cheers

My build thread.
Let There Be More Light
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a copy of the original stickers that came with the dark side of the moon in 1973, I'm a bit of a record collector thats how i know Laughing very interesting to see someone actually paint it as those are somewhat of a "rare" item in the record world. Very, very nice bus btw, i'm green with envy!
lurkinstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a copy of the original stickers that came with the dark side of the moon in 1973, I'm a bit of a record collector thats how i know Laughing very interesting to see someone actually paint it as those are somewhat of a "rare" item in the record world. Very, very nice bus btw, i'm green with envy!

You are not the only one Laughing Crying or Very sad
59 single cab
49barndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not every day you fancy the idea of a barndoor and find some dude just up the street has a 54 doubledoor he is just about giving away Wink

Nice score, More pics or is that it? Very Happy

I love the old 1976 P-plate on the rear that would stay if it was mine Cool
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Led zep and nils lofgren is more my thing but i will deffo be getting a repop version of the sticker for the back winda part of the vans history,i found a plectrum in it-my van rocks! Laughing -cheers the info Cool

My build thread.
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the old repairs on this when i was down with the previous owner, when Iain was on the phone to him........ Wink

The front end came from Graham (FBI) a fair few years ago, I remember it hanging up in the entrance to his unit, I couldnt think why the front end looked so familiar for a while! Laughing Those old repairs wont take long to get rid of, best of luck dude! Cool
Let There Be More Light
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJay wrote:

Led zep and nils lofgren is more my thing but i will deffo be getting a repop version of the sticker for the back winda part of the vans history,i found a plectrum in it-my van rocks! Laughing -cheers the info Cool

That is an excellent idea, as cool as that paint is it def. doesnt belong on a barndoor... glad youre gonna get the sticker though that would be rad, i would offer to send you an extra i had, but i used it about a month ago Sad if i come across any ill PM you. Cheers Very Happy
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetwagens wrote:
Saw the old repairs on this when i was down with the previous owner, when Iain was on the phone to him........ Wink

The front end came from Graham (FBI) a fair few years ago, I remember it hanging up in the entrance to his unit, I couldnt think why the front end looked so familiar for a while! Laughing Those old repairs wont take long to get rid of, best of luck dude! Cool

Aye there beutiful eh? Shocked Rolling Eyes real pain cutting them out,its worse than rust!,got loads more pics coming-refresh your memory Laughing gotta be worth doing being a dd,cheers man

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an excellent idea, as cool as that paint is it def. doesnt belong on a barndoor... glad youre gonna get the sticker though that would be rad, i would offer to send you an extra i had, but i used it about a month ago Sad if i come across any ill PM you. Cheers Very Happy[/quote]

aye man,do that Very Happy

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49barndoor wrote:
Its not every day you fancy the idea of a barndoor and find some dude just up the street has a 54 doubledoor he is just about giving away Wink

Nice score, More pics or is that it? Very Happy

I love the old 1976 P-plate on the rear that would stay if it was mine Cool

just about giving it away! Laughing got a shot o a fiver!?

the p-plate may stay yet Wink

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyways,i decided to strip the van slowly checking things as i go,so we bought 8 of these bad boys Laughing 6ton capacity and 610mm reach each-total overkill but best and cheapest altenative to a ramp or one of them roll-over thingys Razz

so up it went

pulled the tranny out,which came out not too bad,was expecting it to be a nightmare

out came the beam in one,all the bolts came out a treat,dam heavy complete!ive all ready had the drums off removed the shoes for re-lining and wheel cylinders which i have stripped for re-building,the kin pin bushes are shot and need rebuilding-beam is rock solid though Very Happy

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankfully i have found no rust where the beam is mounted,except on the o/s chassis rail where the p/o has done some more crap welding(which will get hacked out)and"had to"cut a piece off one of the beam support rails Rolling Eyes
there has been alot of rust proofing plastered on the under side,i think this van would have been in heaven had it not been for that Smile

this is all kind of in order,basically just a big heap of pics to go through and will be as-i-go soon Wink more to come though-barndoor on a budget-i must be mad! Laughing -laters LJay

My build thread.
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're where I want to be in a couple months. Nice! What are the plans with the tranny and beam? I'm rebuilding my front end, but I'm in a dilemma with the rear. Not sure if it's easy or feasible to put a later center section on the BD axles/RGBs or if I should just stick with the split case tranny. Maybe I'll let you have a go at it and see how it turns out! Very Happy keep it up!
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '53 is running a later trans on barndoor reductions, the whole thing came out of my '55, so it is possible. Cool
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
you're where I want to be in a couple months. Nice! What are the plans with the tranny and beam? I'm rebuilding my front end, but I'm in a dilemma with the rear. Not sure if it's easy or feasible to put a later center section on the BD axles/RGBs or if I should just stick with the split case tranny. Maybe I'll let you have a go at it and see how it turns out! Very Happy keep it up!

Hmm not bad,id rather be alot further on myself,but me and Iain only got the workshop in november and only brought the vans home in january and im trying to do it on a budget as im abit skint since buying a hosue so cant really complain Wink
the whole van is going to be as stock as possible,found the lowering thing to be a pain in the ass!
this is my old bus,nice but just not a barndoor

once the 54's shell is complete,im going to build this at the same time Cool (hopefully Razz )as the 54'is gonna be an abarth race support van for when i take this lil baby historic racing-this is the dream anyway!

and yeah streetwagens is right just fit the bd shafts/rgb's to a later non irs box Cool which somthing i may do later-want to try it stock first though

My build thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: