Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

54 Double Door (21E)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock is fun, What I found when I had a nippy bus was that there was always someone in the convoy that was slow anyway... Just ask 23A about going through Belgium and Germany in 3rd in his '51! Laughing
54DoubleDoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread and a nice looking project.

Not too many Doubledoors out there either.

You say the paint wont be staying.. what you got in mind.. stock colour?

My 54 is dove blue and it looks great IMO!..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock is fun.. if not a little mad but I love it.. i'm still running split case trans but have acquired a 63 box for nothing so going to try and run with that.. at least it'll cruise at 60mph!!

1000 miles to Bad camberg in 2007 was cool at 45mph!!.. and Tim (23A) was loving it really. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to highjack your thread Ljay, but on the tranny thing: I know you can put a later center in. I actually have one in my driveway now. What isn't really clear is if it bolts right in or if you have to use a solid/custom mount in the front. I'll probably figure it out once I take everything out, but I'm enjoying driving the BD so much I hate to do that without having all the other parts ready to go back in.

and I fully support your barndoor on a budget. I'm right there with you! Very Happy
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an adaptor to take the later nose cone, and you need to grind the ribs on the cone down a bit to get it to slot in. The rear mounts are the same for mid '52 on. Cool
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

54DoubleDoor wrote:
Great thread and a nice looking project.

Not too many Doubledoors out there either.

You say the paint wont be staying.. what you got in mind.. stock colour?

My 54 is dove blue and it looks great IMO!..

Stock is fun.. if not a little mad but I love it.. i'm still running split case trans but have acquired a 63 box for nothing so going to try and run with that.. at least it'll cruise at 60mph!!

1000 miles to Bad camberg in 2007 was cool at 45mph!!.. and Tim (23A) was loving it really. Laughing

thanks man Very Happy your van is a real peach too-stared at it many a time in ultravw mag! Cool yeh the fact its a panel double door is awesome-my favourite type of van-i find them alot more practical-and being bd means its pretty rare Wink Cool

and yeh stock colour with Abarth sign writng,which looks like pearl grey to me(anyone else got any ideas?)but not sure as it looks different in different lights-inside of the engine bay-if it was a primer bus its a free-for-all on paint choice and itl be going grey-like me becuase of this resto Laughing

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
sorry to highjack your thread Ljay, but on the tranny thing: I know you can put a later center in. I actually have one in my driveway now. What isn't really clear is if it bolts right in or if you have to use a solid/custom mount in the front. I'll probably figure it out once I take everything out, but I'm enjoying driving the BD so much I hate to do that without having all the other parts ready to go back in.

and I fully support your barndoor on a budget. I'm right there with you! Very Happy

Yeh dai is spot on again,they mounts are easy to get a hold of or fab up too because its pretty simple,but yeh this is something i'll prob do in the future want to try it stock-theres no rush Razz Laughing -ive got a box lying about too

i hear ya!not really the smartest thing for us to do a budget resto on though Laughing

My build thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gyro1780
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the pictures. Best of luck with your project & keep them pics coming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see this panel van is getting the resto it deserves great project and keep the pics coming.
Ben
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys Cool was always going to get the resto it deserves,just would have taken longer Razz

got loads of pics-so many struggling to get em in order-im totally useless with computers too Embarassed Laughing

saw you got your van on the road ben Cool well done-looks sweet-just needs abit o paint-blending! Cool

My build thread.
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJay wrote:
Cheers guys Cool was always going to get the resto it deserves,just would have taken longer Razz

got loads of pics-so many struggling to get em in order-im totally useless with computers too Embarassed Laughing

saw you got your van on the road ben Cool well done-looks sweet-just needs abit o paint-blending! Cool

yes its on the road now and im getting a good few miles on it ,but anything painted red is coming out over the winter might get quickly blown in for hessich and a friends wedding next weekend though.
keep up the good work
ben
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some clues of history of the van Cool

Thanks to some helpful guys on here i have found out that this tag is an import number from the importer in switzerland,AMAG which still to this day imports the cars to this day for the VAG group and porsche Cool
from what i could find out they come into three places in switzerland-Lausanne,Zurich and Geneve....

..now im no Columbo but putting two and two together,im guessing mines came from Geneve Laughing Cool so if it came from Switzerland it should have an orange brake light which it will have fitted when it hits the road-who the hell needs birth certs anyways! Laughing Razz cant wait to find out if im right!

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i get the money together to get a big chunk of metal for the usual centre section repairs i have been welding up various drilling and rust holes,dam thing is covered in small holes all over the place, because of water getting into the roof channel from where some clown thought it would be a good idea to drill holes in the rear of the roof skin for bracket or some shit Evil or Very Mad

first up in my quest of keeping as much OG metal as poss-the rib line under the worst bit of the roof,a couple of pin hols turned into me having cut a square out,so i cut a piece out of cab door and let it in-a bd cab door at that Shocked gasp!-i can hear ya's!it was totally shot all along the bottom so dont worry Laughing came out no bad,at least its the right shape-should take very little finishing to make it invisible Smile

filled up the usual late model stuff hacks,came out ok-even with welding them up very very slowly to keep the heat down the the two corners bowed very slightly Rolling Eyes ,annoying prob would have been better had i used tig-but i only have access to a mig welder,cool tho im not worried,Iain is pretty dam good at panel beating! Wink should have seen the dents before!sorry about the piss poor old pics Embarassed -these were with my old camera phone-got a far better one now!

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because of the water coming in the roof it rotted out the side panel from the inside out Evil or Very Mad so i cut off the strengthener behind it then chopped out this piece Shocked this was a pain to cut out

now any guys out there who are restoring there buses out there who dont have these-intergrips-get some!these made my life better Laughing

had trouble with regulator on the gas bottle,which was pretty crap,so half way through i gave up and junked it and got another as i was struggling to keep the heat down,once i did things went smoother and i got the panel in,every weld i did i had Iain hit it with a wet sponge to minimise any panel warp

came out ok,its not fully ground down at this point as you can see abit of panel warp under the vent and at the end on the left of it and i didnt see the point in doing it yet as it will getting shrunk by heat by Iains father-once that is done i'll lose the weld with maybe abit of lead and light filling hopefully,i painted it to protect it just now and to look shinier for you guys Razz -looks alot better than rust holes!!

Iain has since lost some of the warp with the hammer and dolly,so does look abit better,from the photo above you can see the big hole in the roof and the bloody drilled holes above the window that caused it to happen in the first place Evil or Very Mad see if i had a time machine-someone would have a black eye! Laughing

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got loads more coming,we have been working on the secret 50' too Wink laters LJ

My build thread.
49barndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cold Front is on its way dude, relax with them clamps Laughing

Nice work mate keep it up Wink but chill on the pics Evil or Very Mad Laughing
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49barndoor wrote:

Bout time Razz Laughing and they clamps are like jennifer anniston an little fiats to me-they turn me on! Razz genius invention!!

My build thread.
49barndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJay wrote:
49barndoor wrote:

Bout time Razz Laughing and they clamps are like jennifer anniston an little fiats to me-they turn me on! Razz genius invention!!

Sometimes mate I worry about you Laughing
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time i did an update Embarassed

as i havn't had the moo-la to go buying the piles of panels it needs i have been doing alot of small repairs like this-think nearly every slightly rusty BD will have had/need this repair Rolling Eyes started with me poking a couple of"wee"pin holes Razz

and from this

to this,cleaned up and welded,thought i was gonna have to replace the whole left batt tray Smile

had to make and replace the wheel arch closing panel,still trying keep all the panel shapes,lines etc og looking-came out ok

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with water poring in through holes in the roof this left hand side post had rotted out right at the bottom Confused the roof holes have caused soo much damage to this van its unreal

once i get the dremmel in there and clean up the welds at the bottom i'll put the L-piece,put paint on it just now to cover it

on the outside

My build thread.
LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right time to do somthing about this mess Evil or Very Mad

UH-OH fat mad scotsman armed with an electric saw Laughing

bye bye nackered floor

which revealed perfect I beams Shocked something thats not getting hacked off! Laughing this floor will be replaced with some nice funky green cargo sections when time comes

also had 2 of these made up by a local precision engineering firm,the hinge panel for the engine lid,i think its a very good job-cheers to reekie engineering Cool not really needed right now-just wanted to test em,BD on a budget mind Wink got some good quality steel for the chassis rail repairs from them too

the inner,strengthener and outer sills/rockers,out riggers and bits of the top hat sections have been relaced before but welded in soo poorly its all coming out and getting replaced with these auto craft engineering panels-which are far better quality than what is in there

My build thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: