Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34PICT3 Modification for PCV Feed
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: 34PICT3 Modification for PCV Feed Reply with quote

Looking for constructive feedback as to how the carb is now set up.

This is a 70 bay with a 1600cc dual port stock engine with a 34PICT3, both valve covers vented with filters, non stock air cleaner.

Over the weekend I installed a fitting to allow for direct feed of crankcase fumes into the intake manifold neck about 1-1/2" below the carb mounting, this adapter accepts a 12mm line which has an orifice of 3mm and now draws crankcase fumes directly from the oil tower. So far so good.

Now to get the engine to idle/run I plugged the hole in the throttle plate, closed the bypass screw and opened the throttle plate via the throttle adjustment screw, adjusted the volume control screw to get the smoothest idle. I do not run the choke at all. Idle jet is a 60 and main is a 150.

Ideas? Possibly something missed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 34PICT3 Modification for PCV Feed Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Looking for constructive feedback as to how the carb is now set up.

This is a 70 bay with a 1600cc dual port stock engine with a 34PICT3, both valve covers vented with filters, non stock air cleaner.

Over the weekend I installed a fitting to allow for direct feed of crankcase fumes into the intake manifold neck about 1-1/2" below the carb mounting, this adapter accepts a 12mm line which has an orifice of 3mm and now draws crankcase fumes directly from the oil tower. So far so good.

Now to get the engine to idle/run I plugged the hole in the throttle plate, closed the bypass screw and opened the throttle plate via the throttle adjustment screw, adjusted the volume control screw to get the smoothest idle. I do not run the choke at all. Idle jet is a 60 and main is a 150.

Ideas? Possibly something missed?

Are you sure? I don't think you want to do that..... Shocked

That is the vac take off that would operate a power booster on the 71 bus or and autostick servo on an autostick Beetle or Ghia... it seems to me it would suck not only the fumes out of your crankcase but potentially the oil etc at higher RPM's... that spot will have MONGO vac at certain stages of RPM/load... WAY DIFFERENT than venting valve covers to tee in with crank case outlet by oil filler on onto a port on the AIR CLEANER!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would thing a 3mm hole would be too big. You are basically creating a vacuum leak that you must account for somewhere else in the tuning.
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 34PICT3 Modification for PCV Feed Reply with quote

Hiya bus,

keifernet wrote:
That is the vac take off that would operate a power booster on the 71 bus or and autostick servo on an autostick Beetle or Ghia... it seems to me it would suck not only the fumes out of your crankcase but potentially the oil etc at higher RPM's... that spot will have MONGO vac at certain stages of RPM/load... WAY DIFFERENT than venting valve covers to tee in with crank case outlet by oil filler on onto a port on the AIR CLEANER!!!!!

X2, a big X2. Be sure you monitor exhaust for burning oil when you have the engine under a load. It's possible that your set-up may work as intended, but as an AutoStick guy I can tell you that the vacuum from the 12 mm port under the carb mounting flange can be considerable.

Have you given any thought to modifying your air cleaner to accept the 12 mm crankcase ventilation hose? That would mimic the original VW set-up and I have seen those chrome, paper element air filters so modified.

1970 AS Bug
1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck

Have an AutoStick? Check out www.auto-stick.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the purpose of the 3mm (.120) orifice, which is a 1/2" brass rod drilled through, then placed inline on the hose, it creates a reduced amount of air but creates a draw against the case bringing clean air in at the valve covers then out at the tower. The port I added since my bus is a 70 and does not have the pre-configured 71 manifold. The concept is not new, VW's FI's sucked the fumes into the manifold. It would be hard to suck oil from the bottom of the case all the way up the tower.

Keifernet, mods on the carb, I am not a fan nor expert on the Solex 34PICT3, more of a Weber kind of guy, the few changes I did to the 34/3 do they sound right as to eliminating the bypass and throttle hole and start using the trottle plate adjustment? Any extra air by the 3mm orifice is compensatable through idle mixture and main/AC jets since it is a fixed flow rate.

Here is a picture of this same type of set up on my 78 bay
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/527585.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're basically engineering a PCV system. As such, I'd recommend researching the theory and inner workings of PCV valves, as they are generally more than just a plain orifice. Because you're going to get oxygen as well as combustion gases through this valve, your idle mixture and run mixture will be affected. I would think you will need a good full range exhaust gas analyzer to do this right (one of the extended range O2 sensor units, at a minimum.) Carb mods are anybody's guess.
Historical aside: the (people's) state of CA mandated this in the early '60s to eliminate crankcase road draft tubes and the retrofit devices didn't work well. I painfully remember (side effect of being old...) having to install one on a '39 Ford flathead.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
That is the purpose of the 3mm (.120) orifice, which is a 1/2" brass rod drilled through, then placed inline on the hose, it creates a reduced amount of air but creates a draw against the case bringing clean air in at the valve covers then out at the tower. The port I added since my bus is a 70 and does not have the pre-configured 71 manifold. The concept is not new, VW's FI's sucked the fumes into the manifold. It would be hard to suck oil from the bottom of the case all the way up the tower.

Keifernet, mods on the carb, I am not a fan nor expert on the Solex 34PICT3, more of a Weber kind of guy, the few changes I did to the 34/3 do they sound right as to eliminating the bypass and throttle hole and start using the trottle plate adjustment? Any extra air by the 3mm orifice is compensatable through idle mixture and main/AC jets since it is a fixed flow rate.

Here is a picture of this same type of set up on my 78 bay
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/527585.jpg

Okay, I did not fully comprehend what you stated/ overead your post and just blindly posted about the 12mm vac port ( presuming it was a stock manifold) thinking that was too large.

And I was not talking about it being powerful enough to suck the oil out of the bottom of the case but that is would suck suspended oil spray out of the rocker arm/valve cover area.

It sounds interesting so I will sit back and wait for you to report on how it ends up functioning...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the little things I did to bypass some of the 34/3 systems?

I plan on putting some kind of baffle with a cooper scrub pad in line or in the tower to capture oil particles so they drip back into the engine.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What distributor are you using?

I don't know about trying to modify the carb to use the screw on the throttle arm like that... I don't do it that way.

IMHO the carb is designed to mix air and fuel at idle with the throttle plate closed.... now metering the hole in the plate from model to model ( flange # on German carbs) and differenet distributors sure, but to try and use the screw on the throttle arm to do something it was not designed to do ( set the final idle by opening the throttle plate) I have no input on that.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an SVDA, First test run was done using the 34/3 as original config, it worked except the idle would not go below 1K, the mods came about as an attempt to circumvent the system. All the items including the plugged plate can be easily reversed.

Pluging the hole was to compensate for the PCV bleed air, basically the two holes are about the same diameter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system you are installing works well with FI or so I am told, but I don't know about with carbs. The hole in the throttle plate lets air past the throttle plate so that it can be closed further, but this air still goes through the venturis so it creates vacuum and draws fuel. By removing this air from the venturis you may cause a dead spot. What you are doing certainly can be made to work, but might take a bit of tweaking.

The system which I use on my T4 today and used to use a couple of decades ago on my T1 engines is to take air off the fan shroud, filter it, meter it through a small orifice, and then run it into the crankcase. This was enough to keep the watery deposits from forming on the filler cap and in the rocker boxes.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings, so you were pressurizing the case, did you road dump the left overs?

I will probably reopen the throttle hole, you are right about the little hesitation. Although the only way to eliminate the higher idle was either close it off or close the bypass screw.
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your jetting seems on the fat side. My 1679DP is running 55 pilot and 127.5 main, which per LM-1 is getting me stoich at cruise and 13.0-13.2 at full throttle, with Cali lean-meister gas. Are you really getting that much air through your 3mm orifice?
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, but a quick run down the interstate yesterday, about 15 miles, pulled over and pulled a plug, a little black on the outer rim, but light chocolate milkshake on the electrode.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Wildthings, so you were pressurizing the case, did you road dump the left overs?

I will probably reopen the throttle hole, you are right about the little hesitation. Although the only way to eliminate the higher idle was either close it off or close the bypass screw.

Yes I barely pressurize the case. The orifice restricts the flow considerably so there is actually very little pressure. Too much air flow and you will blow oil. I determined the size of the orifice by experimentation, it is not very big, only 1/16 or 3/32 or so. I just use an inline fuel filter to filter the air, they last for years.

On both the T1 and T4 I left the original breather system in place and let it handle the left overs by venting them into the air cleaner.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

leave the hole closed but open the volume screw and use the idle circuit instead of the throttle stop.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that tomorrow evening, had a 73 Olson step van capture my time tonight. Thanks
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings, did you drill a hole in the top of the case toward the front for the air line?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Wildthings, did you drill a hole in the top of the case toward the front for the air line?

On the T4 I just came off of the left side of the fan shroud for the pressurized air and then ran it through a filter and into the crankcase through a grommet I fitted into a hole I had drilled in the oil filler cap.

Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the system and the bus isn't here right now so I can't take any.

The system has worked pretty well, its been functioning for 20+ years at this point.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all this, are you accomplishing anything worthwhile or any better than simply running the case breather to the air cleaner and leaving the carb alone?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: