Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jump seats vs swivels?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Jump seats vs swivels? Reply with quote

I have a 7-passenger syncro which I'm converting into a no-frills camper for my family of Mom, 12 year old and myself. I've removed the middle seats and plan on adding a fold-up table like a weekender has. It seems like installing jump seats might be a nice addition -- especially for eating or playing cards at the table, but they take up a fair amount of real estate and leave the two front seats essentially unused when camping. My alternative is to install swivels for the front seats -- not as good access to the table, but less wasted space.

Any collective wisdom to share on which is the better setup?

Thanks!
-Bill
'89 Syncro
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do both--mount a jumpseat behind the driver's seat and a swivel base on the front passenger seat. It really opens up the cabin.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in our Westy, we often wish we had an extra seat so we could fit 5 easier. If you have the full length back seat, that might not be as much of an issue. A jumpseat is on my wish list. Unfortunately, with everything else I have had to do, it hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. Hopefully, there is still one sitting in the junkyard that 1621 hid for me.

You can always remove them when you need the real estate...
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Do both--mount a jumpseat behind the driver's seat and a swivel base on the front passenger seat. It really opens up the cabin.

I have this setup. Original westy swivel seats and a removable fold up jump seat behind the passenger seat. It opens up lots of options.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

I have this setup. Original westy swivel seats and a removable fold up jump seat behind the passenger seat. It opens up lots of options.

With my Wolfsburg Westy (Weekender) it's just the opposite. It has the jumpseat mounted behind the driver's seat, so no need for swivel there, and I mounted a swivel on the passenger side.

When we camp, I use the driver's seat as storage for the kids' booster seats, backpacks, etc. Works out well.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a custom jump seat behind the drivers seat and a swivel on the front passenger seat. For playing cards, chess etc having the jumpseat across from the table is great. I am also working on a removable sink/stove unit that will mount behind the passenger seat. Most of the time it will be out of the van but when camping I can clamp it in place then when I get to the camp spot I unroll the awning, pull out the stove/sink unit, flip up the wings and instant outside kitchen. Very similar concept to some of the Sportsmobile conversions or the Eurovette conversion. If you don't have "VW Camper - The Inside Story" get it for a plethora of ideas.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairweather, I love that setup. Very nice looking interior!
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question about it. 2 Swivels!!!

The Westys are cooler and they can stand up to put their pants on, but us hardtops have room, and lots of it. 2 swivels maximizes it. IMO a jump seat would just take up precious room.

sbomm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get the driver's side to clear the steering wheel when swiveling?
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbomm wrote:
How do you get the driver's side to clear the steering wheel when swiveling?

Funny you should ask. On my way home from work I was thinking that I need to post a warning about that in this thread.

You really need to pay attention to where you mount the swivel base. I mounted mine back about an inch and a half, but that cuts into the battery box space a bit. The box is still usable and I have an odyssey in there, but have to take off the swivel mount to remove it (if I ever need to).

This is my thread on it:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289505&highlight=swivel

BTW...on the passengers side you can just take the seat off the tracks and turn it around, and put it on facing the rear without using a swivel. I learned that here and used it for a while. Works well.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My basic idea is you can not have too many chairs and tables.

The Westy makes it a bit harder, but a lat model jump seat behind the front seats is good.

Also, I use two of the little tables that mount in the front. So I got three tables.

Admittedly you can not really use all that stuff at the same time, but you have options when you need it.

Similar configurations can be done to the normal van too.

PS" Adding the pop top can be done too. There are a couple of ways to do it. Including getting one of those bubble tops from an Adventurewagen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: