Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Non snowflake tail lights
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Non snowflake tail lights Reply with quote

Saw these for sale in the classifieds.

I have seen the chevron style lens but not this one. Which market or years does this come from? Are they factory or safety add ons?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swedish market
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were the chevron style a euro market or country specific? Did Aussie VWs get standard snow flakes or different as well??

Were these just style changes or mandated for safety? More reflectors??
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, those are Swedish market lenses.

Australian market got the regular snowflakes. The only exception there was for 1961 they had a strange combined plastic taillight lense - smaller in size than later plastic lenses.
JorgeDavidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info! Now I know there are at least two tail light glass diffusor design... Embarassed
Does anybody have any more data about non-snowflake lights (markets, countries, aftermarkets patterns..)?
Thanks!
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type taillight lens is plastic, not glass. We throw them away and install glass snowflake instead.

Hella snowflake lenses come in three different script-variations.

What are chevron lenses?

Kind regards,
Ken.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the chevron from the gallery. Euro market? I have seen two semaphore cars with these lights, not sure what year though.

I have seen two different Hella snowflakes, one with a K partnumber on the bottom with the hella logo and a later version with more numbers that "wrap around" both sides of the top of the lens.

There are hassia snowflakes as well.

As far as diffusers (the plastic on the inside that makes the color a deep blood red) I have seen two types as well. One with dots and another with horizontal lines. I usually take them out to make the brake lights as bright as possible.

Anyone know which diffusers go to what year or type?
T
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
As far as diffusers (the plastic on the inside that makes the color a deep blood red) I have seen two types as well. One with dots and another with horizontal lines.
Anyone know which diffusers go to what year or type?

There is also a smooth "diffuser"-plastic lens of the same (or atleast similar) material as the plastic used in heart taillights and earlier.

The smooth type is the earliest and goes with the Hella-logo-only lens (no wave or K1564, till late 1955/early 1956) and probably the very first of the wave+K1564 lenses.

The diffusers with the horizontal lines goes with most of the wave+K1564 lenses end the lenses with text wrapped around along the edge of the lens (late 1960 to april 1961).

The diffusers with the dots, I'm not sure but I think they came with the latest of the swedish taillights? Or could be some later (mid 60's) spare part diffuser? At least my late 1960 model still had the horizontal lines diffuser.

Ken.

Last edited by noheb on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noheb wrote:
The diffusers with the dots, I'm not sure but I think they came with the latest of the swedish taillights? Or could be some later (mid 60's) spare part diffuser? At least my late 1960 model still had the horizontal lines diffuser.Ken.

Makes sense, the dot diffusers I had were from a NOS replacement set with the late 60-61 type glass lenses. I wish I had not thrown them away Crying or Very sad
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just found 3 different smooth diffusers, the one on the left is much more soft in the edges/pressings, maybe that's just because it has been warm, I don't know.

Ken.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the pink ones, I had a reproduction set of snowflakes from KDF back in the late 80s and they had the flimsy diffuser. It actually melted from the heat of the bulb!! I ended up taking them out as well.
Jack-Fatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some of you looking for Chevron lenses there is a link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=912712
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RENOWIL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Non snowflake tail lights Reply with quote

I have a set of nearly NOS Chromed Chevrons on my 1961 Convertible Beetle. My research on these is that they were produced in 1953 for the Chech market. There were two variation of these lenses ( I have had them both)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Non snowflake tail lights Reply with quote

RENOWIL wrote:
I have a set of nearly NOS Chromed Chevrons on my 1961 Convertible Beetle. My research on these is that they were produced in 1953 for the Chech market. There were two variation of these lenses ( I have had them both)

Is 1953 a typo ?I always thought they used heart taillights in 53, late 1955 is when they came out with the bigger version taillight (aka snowflakes)
What was the difference between the two variations on the chevron lights?

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RENOWIL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Non snowflake tail lights Reply with quote

As I stated...ONE Country....One Year. 1953 Czechoslovakia. In other Global markets the 1953 / Zwitter would have had either snowflakes or hearts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Non snowflake tail lights Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Saw these for sale in the classifieds.

I have seen the chevron style lens but not this one. Which market or years does this come from? Are they factory or safety add ons?

Are these not M18 "larger reflector for taillights"?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Non snowflake tail lights Reply with quote

RENOWIL wrote:
As I stated...ONE Country....One Year. 1953 Czechoslovakia. In other Global markets the 1953 / Zwitter would have had either snowflakes or hearts

Zwittwers never had snowflakes.

Not to start an argument but i highly doubt your (chromed snowflake/chevron style taillights) are from 1953 no matter what country they were for.
BTW nice vert...
RENOWIL wrote:

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Non snowflake tail lights Reply with quote

RENOWIL wrote:

I've never heard of anything like this before. Progressive Refinements did a great job of compiling the data of when the multitude of changes happened over the years.

http://wiki.oacdp.org/pdfs/progref4061-09.pdf

Progressive Refinements wrote:
Page 3: - Date Introduced: 1 Oct. 52 - Chassis No. 1-0397 023 - Modification: Stop lights - Now: two lateral lamps combined with tail light and rear reflectors Formerly: one lamp in center of rear lid

Page 6: - Date Introduced: 1 Oct. 54 - Chassis No. 1-0722 916 - Modification: Stop and tail light casing - Now: stop light window no longer provided Now: bifilament bulb (USA, Canada, Guam)

RENOWIL wrote:

I dunno man, it doesn't seem to hold up.
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_08_01/wired_08_01.htm

Wolfsburg West wrote:
Oct'52-1955 European models, Oct'52-Sep'54 (chassis #1-0722915) U.S., Guam, and Canadian models.

VW incorporates the brakes light operation within the taillights, and will remain throughout the production run of the Beetle. This taillight uses two lenses, one upper and one lower. The upper lens is red plastic (some versions are amber) and functions as the brake light, while the lower lens is glass and serves as the running light. The lower lens is surrounded by a chrome-plated bezel. The original version did not have a provision for water drainage. As a result, many of these units rusted from the inside out. Starting on October 18, 1954, chassis # 1-0734000, a weep hole is drilled into the bottom portion of the housing to allow for water drainage. Hella and Hassia produced these taillights interchangeably.

I'm sure the VW community would like to know if there is a unique circumstance where VW used a set of tail lights before they were released to the general European market.

Please share the research you've found.

*October '54 Ragtop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: