Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking about buying TICCO van, should I be scared?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Thinking about buying TICCO van, should I be scared? Reply with quote

Just got offered a '86 Van with a Ticco engine conversion already done. I understand that the company in no longer in business, will this cause problems for me in the future or are the parts standard for other vehicles and available?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_1306/tiico_conversion.html

van cafe is one place that sells tiico parts.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i've never understood about Tiico conversons, what parts are proprietary to Tiico? Isn't it pretty much totally made of stock VAG parts be it diesel vanagon or gasser car parts??? I won't accept exhaust components as an answer FYI! Anythign a muff shop can make doesn't count.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:
One thing i've never understood about Tiico conversons, what parts are proprietary to Tiico? Isn't it pretty much totally made of stock VAG parts be it diesel vanagon or gasser car parts??? I won't accept exhaust components as an answer FYI! Anythign a muff shop can make doesn't count.

The engine is a virtual copy of the Audi 3A motor which was in the US, and most parts are compatible among US I-4's. The fuel injection however, is exclusive to the TIICO. I've heard but am not sure that if the battery dies or is disconnected on the TIICO injection the computer needs to be reset, and I'm not sure how easy it is for the average Joe to do that.

-Rob
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
BlackDogVan wrote:

The engine is a virtual copy of the Audi 3A motor which was in the US, and most parts are compatible among US I-4's. The fuel injection however, is exclusive to the TIICO. I've heard but am not sure that if the battery dies or is disconnected on the TIICO injection the computer needs to be reset, and I'm not sure how easy it is for the average Joe to do that.

-Rob

My battery died last winter in my '91 Vanagon, put a new one in, no problem, no re-set of anything (except the radio)
Jon @ Foreign Auto ( 207-833-0009 ) is still doing them, as far as I know.
There is a lot of info/discussion on the Tiico, some folks hate them , some like them, I love mine , runs great, better power & milage. Use the search button & check it out.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
912owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign Auto in Harpswell, ME is your contact now:
http://www.foreignautosupply.com/
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can disconnect your battery with no repercussions. The fuel injection is Tiico specific, in the US, however worldwide it was used on many other VW/Audi cars. The computer is a Bosch Motronic 9 unit. As far as actual FI parts, one of the most popular swaps is to ditch the the fuel rail and vanagon injectors that the conversions, and swap them with the rail and injectors from an A2 golf/jetta. and the A3 golf/jetta serpentine belt swap will get rid of the crappy alt. bracket that the kit comes with.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bread geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: tiico Reply with quote

is it really a tiico or just an engine swap from a used jetta?that will make a diference.and who installed it.mine was put in by FAS in maine and is awesome.some people like to call a swap from a used car a tiico .
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
BlackDogVan wrote:

-Rob

So why not just do a 2L jetta/golf swap with a van diesel bits? What did Tiico do that was so much better than that??
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:

So why not just do a 2L jetta/golf swap with a van diesel bits? What did Tiico do that was so much better than that??

The difference between a 2L jetta/golf swap with diesel bits and a Tiico, is that the Tiico uses a brand new/re manufactured motor and all new parts. You do make a good point, Tiico was just the only company to make a complete and concise conversion out of the inline swap, the only place somebody with cash could go to and get a more reliable VW motor and not have to get their hands dirty. Again I'm going into things I'm not sure about but I believe South African Vanagons quit using the Wasserboxer at some point and for a period were essentially "Tiicos" and Tiico bought the parts new and had them shipped over.

I bought a Tiico kit out of a burned Vanagon, the wiring harness melted so I'm using the Tiico hard-parts and creating my own injection.

-Rob
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. So it sounds as though just because the Ticco company is no longer around the parts to maintain a converted van are still around.
The van I've been offered, asking price $1000, is a '86 with a Riviera poptop. Body and interior are beat (not rusty but banged up), windshield cracked and there's no camper kit just a full Zbed. I drove it around town and it seems peppy and smooth. 4th gear went out and that's why it's now for sale. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears seem fine, that's all I need for now as a "town car" anyway until I rustle up a trans.
I'm not at all up on the value of Vanagons, if this one didn't have the conversion done I would not be interested in it. Any thought about if this sounds like a good deal
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock 'em down a little more. You need a trans, 4th bad = 3rd bad. No way around it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: