Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Micro trailer for boat/bike in mt. view, CA- NOT MINE
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Micro trailer for boat/bike in mt. view, CA- NOT MINE Reply with quote

I found a great trailer on craigslist in Mt.View, CA that could benefit a vanagon owner. These trailers are small and light enough that a vanagon can pull one easily. The owner is selling it for 1/4 of original cost and I am sure that it won't last. IT ISN'T MINE. Good Luck.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/1200656563.html

** I will remove this post in a day to keep the mods happy with it's borderline vanagon content.

OOPS- you can't delete a post once someone has replied. Mods feel free to delete.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know you mean well, but I made something a lot nicer than that and it didn't cost anything near what he is asking. The basic tailer kit was $175 from the Checkers Autoparts store. Two bars where $25 from Home depot and it was something around another $40 for hardware and pipe. I had the Yakima King Cobras, but I got them $150 with a set of roof racks on cragslist. Then I found the roof top carrier, also on Craigslist, for $300. So maybe I have $700 in it. That includes the racks and carrier, so $500 is not really a super deal for the stripped trailer. You can do much better for less. If you look at the basic trailer frame, you will notice that it is virtually identical. Now registration, thats another deal. The permeant tag cost virtually as much as the trailer.

BTW, I since replaced the 4x4's with 8" ABS so I can put long items in the piping:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DP. That's a nice little trailer there. Do you think it would handle the weight of my wife's Vespa?
'96 BMW R1100GS
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I had $500, I've been thinking a little trailer for my cheap chinese psuedo-vespa would be great. How much can a Vanagon actually pull without becoming more unsafely slow?
'78 Transporter - Gone
'69 Baja - Gone
'91 Vanagon Carat - Gone
‘71 Bus - Gone

Current: ‘74 Westy 2.0L, hydraulic valves, dual EMPI 34s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was putting a vespa, I would use the 4x4's vice the ABS I ended up using. Vespas weigh out about 150 lbs more or less (I assume scooter not moped)? I think the rack would be more of an issue, since most bike racks would not be good for much over 100 lbs. I think I recall the trailer being a 1,000 lb rating or so. The car top carriers say 150 lbs rating, so you should be good within the load rating. The registration was something like $375, hurtful and drew a long stare from my wife (big ouch).

I already had the trailer to carry a big beam I had to have fabricated to repair my house in California (stupid tenant cut the main beam in the duplex in half to install a garage door opener). Welders in CA wanted a laughable amount to fab the part I wanted, so I had a local welder do it here in Flagstaff for about a quarter of what the goons in CA wanted. I made a slip over box beam to fix the damage. The problem was how to transport a rather heavy steel box that is 18' long. So one of my helicopter buddies suggested I turn the beam into a long trailer. Put the wheel part on one end and the tongue on the other (they turn helo parts into trailers occasionally). I got the trailer to do this one job and it was left over. The bike carrier project was the recycling of the trailer. The bike racks also do duty on the Rabbit. As does the carrier on the Land Rovers.

Checkers and the like sell these as kits and several online sources have them as well. Just ensure you get the manufacturers certificate (supposed to be with the kit) or you have to do the built from scratch title option (don't ask me how I know). You have to have a listing of all, down to the nuts & bolts, parts used and receipts. Norther Tool has the kits now for $190:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_7262_7262
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: