Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making my own valve covers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everythings still a go just haven`t had the time with the 4th and out of town family. And this week I maybe going on vac. But the metal pattern is ready to go for casting. Cool
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just got back from vacation Pa. great time but have to leave monday for Canada for a week. Anyway heres a picture of the shink from the wood pattern to the metal pattern just about one 1/8" of an inch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where you going in Canada, if you come to Victoria, lets hookup for a couple beer!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, nothing more fun that being able to say "I made them" Very Happy
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Simon uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow those look great, have you put any test miles on them to see how they get on?
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure were July went but it sure did go fast. Anyway just about have the valve cover polished inside and out has to be smooth so the sand doesn`t stick to it when used as a pattern. I`m looking at next week to have a finished casting and if the fit`s good I have a second one poured and then have to find someone to test them (my 36 is still on the stand). I`ll post pictures by the end of next week.

Out of the sand

And just about polished

splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster wrote:
Not sure were July went but it sure did go fast. Anyway just about have the valve cover polished inside and out has to be smooth so the sand doesn`t stick to it when used as a pattern. I`m looking at next week to have a finished casting and if the fit`s good I have a second one poured and then have to find someone to test them (my 36 is still on the stand). I`ll post pictures by the end of next week.

Out of the sand

And just about polished

I'd be happy to test them on my Judson engine or in my 57 oval shagn wagn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to test them on my Judson engine or in my 57 oval shagn wagn

That will work for me.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure where you are at, but if you are close to Long Beach and need a foundry, Mike Demkowski of C&M Foundry does a real nice job with small lot production for a fair price. He does in-house heat treat of his castings, understands manufacturing. He does (at least used to, it's been 8 years since I took a tour) other VW items and used to cast the Wilwood VW hubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Simon wrote:
I am not sure where you are at, but if you are close to Long Beach and need a foundry, Mike Demkowski of C&M Foundry does a real nice job with small lot production for a fair price. He does in-house heat treat of his castings, understands manufacturing. He does (at least used to, it's been 8 years since I took a tour) other VW items and used to cast the Wilwood VW hubs.

Thanks, The foundry I`m working with now I`m very please with and it not that far from the shop I work at here in Atlanta.
I did do alittle work on it today getting it ready for the finish casting. The one thing that I wanted to make sure was the gasket surface was flat and true. So today after work I ran the mill over it and glad I did. I guess the wood pattern flexed under the pressure of the sand ended up cut out about 15 ths. to get it straight. I also took some time to spot faced the hole surfaces for a better seal. Anyway I hope to have it ready for the sand first of next week.

not the best pictures.

faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Just to let everyone know that I`m still working on the valve covers and haven`t given up. I got side tracked getting paint on my single cab before winter set in so now with that out of the way it`s back to the covers. Anyway had to make some adjustment a little epoxy filler milled the gasket area flat and added a round surface for the nut to set on. The black plastic was just something I found that was easy to machine and epoxyed in and will be cut off and blended in. The next time I go to the foundry I`ll have two made from this pattern that should be keepers.

The single cab painted at last.

splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster wrote:
Update: Just to let everyone know that I`m still working on the valve covers and haven`t given up. I got side tracked getting paint on my single cab before winter set in so now with that out of the way it`s back to the covers. Anyway had to make some adjustment a little epoxy filler milled the gasket area flat and added a round surface for the nut to set on. The black plastic was just something I found that was easy to machine and epoxyed in and will be cut off and blended in. The next time I go to the foundry I`ll have two made from this pattern that should be keepers.

The single cab painted at last.

Nice to see you're back on it, I'd still be happy to test and/or buy a set for the LSC engine, even rejects, as we need to weld a boss's in for breathers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well came close to having two good keepers. Only problem the aluminum was poured alittle to cold and didn`t fill the mold completely. When they pour the metal at the end of each day the first to get poured get the hottest metal and the last in line get the cooler metal still very very hot. This happen before and it was repoured hotter without any problem it just comes out rougher. The good is the fit is right on everything shrinked down just where it needed to be and there going to repour two more next week but hotter. Have a look almost there.

The pattern

The bad pour

Gasket fit

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster wrote:

Thanks, The foundry I`m working with now I`m very please with and it not that far from the shop I work at here in Atlanta.

Man this is a wild thread. Those covers kinda remind me of NICSON. Beautiful beautiful coarse fins. I read that you work in Atlanta and was wondering if "close by" meant Columbus Foundry? I know for a while they did turbos and brake calipers. You make me proud to be from the south. I hope you dont stop at just valve covers. I would love to see a matching belt guard centerpiece with matching fins. It is so damn neat that they say "faster ga." inside. Cool
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update : I know this is getting old but it`s not dead yet. Cleaned up the pattern by blasting now have to add alittle thickest (epoxy)to make the foundry happy. After stricking out 3 or 4 times some would give up but I will have at less two before I retirer from thesamba. Cool

splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster wrote:
Update : I know this is getting old but it`s not dead yet. Cleaned up the pattern by blasting now have to add alittle thickest (epoxy)to make the foundry happy. After stricking out 3 or 4 times some would give up but I will have at less two before I retirer from thesamba. Cool

The Judson engine is now a WW Okrassa kit motor, made 53 hp on the dyno, got some stacks for it, my custom A1 merged exhuast will be here next week, some aluminum valve covers would look good on it, secially with some vents Wink
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

Wow!! those wooden Valve Covers are simply Amazing, not to mention the wood work and grain are simply Beautiful!! Throw a Clock in the center of One and I will buy it. Cool
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice work.

One question, how did you do the lettering on the inside ?

faster wrote:
]
Gasket fit
faster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unkl Ian wrote:
VERY nice work.

One question, how did you do the lettering on the inside ?

faster wrote:
]
Gasket fit

Unkl Ian,
The letters are plastic that i bought from a craft store and glued in place. I`m thinking about removing them and naming the covers after my 14 year old dog Zues he`s just about at the end of the road and should be remembered for something. I`m also hoping to get some good pours in a couple of weeks and if they come out good or bad I will post the pictures just for the hell of it..
So far it`s costing me $20.00 a pour but I think the shop foreman of the foundry would like to see me move on and not toy with my project. Anyway if I make the changes that (Jack the foreman wants) and thicken it up in a few places all should be good. Cool
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

Naming them Zeus would be a nice touch.
He can live on in spirit.

What is the minimum thickness for sand casting Aluminum?
2.5mm (.100") ?

$20 each is very reasonable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: