Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first Squareback(add your story too)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbuggin76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: My first.................but not my last! Reply with quote

Well after being a die hard vw fan since the late 90's I have acquired my first Type 3. A 1965 Squareback. I have had alot of beetle of numerous years and always loved them. Everything from ratted out rusted out to almost perfect. I recently traded around and got my Square. I love it and I haven't even drove it yet lol. I have alot of plans for getting her on the road and being my daily driver. Where I live you rarely see beetles much less a square, notch, or fasty. As soon as I get started on her I will be putting up a build thread with all the pics for you guys to enjoy and or pick at lol. I know the die hard restorers will have alot to say about where I am going with it but...................it's mine and I'll build it as I wish. LOL. Just can't drive around in a stocker right now. Might put it back all stock as I get older though. Anyway here is a link to pics of how she sits right now. Thanks.
Sorry for the link. Haven't learned quite how to get them on here yet lol.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc152/bbobb76/65%20Vdub/
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first several cars were Squarebacks. The first one I owned got a lot of body work but never saw the road...Flash forward a few years and I'm renting four garages and cram them full of parts and cars (at one point I had nine cars in four garages). The garages had 18' ceilings so I built body stands to stack the bodies vertically. I would routinely get up early and get the Recycler (I think it came out on Thursday) to try to beat the guy (can't remember which guy it was-he drove a Toyota stake bed truck) from ISP West to the T3's advertised. I had enough parts to build at least six complete cars...most of the parts were sold via the Recycler or to Bill and Steve's when they were still in Bellflower.

Best car was my red/black/green/gray 65 Square. It was the one that I learned everything on. I had a friend, Stuart, who talked me through lowering the front end over the phone. Pulled over on the 405 one night after the car started bogging down. Pulled the engine lid to find that one of the fittings on the carburetor was out and shooting fuel across the top of the engine. No fire but I did need a few beers when I got home. Lots of great memories in that car-racing my friend, Edgar, in his GTi through the streets of Long Beach-cornering faster than him and fitting down alleys he couldn't attempt.

I've now got a 65 Square-just like my last great driver...and this one is going to be sweet. It will be the best one yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked this over again. Who else has a story to share?

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my first T-3. he's in the garage being built. back in 2002 (oh so long ago! lmfao) I wanted a ghia oh so bad... but i was willing to settle. I came across this primer black Fastback.. sunroof , automatic.. brown interior with Moo cow seat covers. he had 135's up front, T bars where the bumpers should have been, and electrics that were bordering on rediculous (all there just connected completely wrong). I traded my 88 2wd Jeep Cherokee for it. I barely limped home in him. the charging system was connected wrong. after my dad having to come rescue me from dying halfway home I poured over the car for the next few days trying to solve the charging issues. I drove him for about 2 weeks before i left for the Air Force. (i was medically discharged for asthma) I got back 2 months later and let the fun begin... i aquired a 68 fastback that was complete and it became my parts car. i traded out the brown interior for the black and the car looked ALOT better. I fitted the bumpers , lowered the front end, and got a fix it ticket for other electrical problems. The motor seized shortly there after and away i went to pull the GEX motor from the 68. that motor had issues... but it made it through getting kicked out of my parents house and living in him for a few days and then to try and hide him from a EVIL redheaded ex girlfriend the motor threw a rod driving him to safety. ( i still have the rod... ill have to take a picture!)

9 years later, he went thru 2 more engines, never really lived on the 1914 and about 5 years ago he was taken off the road 4 years ago taken apart to start the resto... and now... im just getting the wiring back in him while doing bodywork.... a wife ... 3 kids later im finally doing things right with him that i was too inept when i was younger to figure out....

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha ... sorry i forgot the name of the thread was FIRST SQUAREBACK.... thats a story all of its own...

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my family have been into vdubs since before i was born... back in 89/90 when i was 16 "we" had 4 "cal style" vdubs in the fam, my dad and brother built a 69 sunroof squareback and i thought it was the coolest car ever. i "borrowed" it when my brother was out of town and knew that i had to have one some day. i've had 2 fastys, bug, bus and finally 15yrs later bought a square. it's now running/driving... it won't ever be a "show car" but to me, it's still a kool dub... Cool the black bug and green bus were "ours" also...

70 Squareback
73 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bad1916
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ACVW is my 63 square. Growing up my dad had a white 68 square that was a nice old car aside from the fender that made contact with a dog on the freeway. Always liked the look of it. When I was 17 i was looking for a baja bug and after checking out a few and not finding any that really struck me I saw an ad for a 63 square in the recycler. When I first saw it i was stoked.It was yellow and lowered but didnt run and awful interior. Little did I know how much of a bastard the car really was.Had i known I would have found a different car.With the money I got from selling my Impala i dragged her home.She has since been the worst car Ive ever owned, but i love it. anyways. I wish i knew then what i knew now about what the interior was suposed to look like as it had later door panels and all kinds of stupid stuff like a viper alarm Rolling Eyes She sat in pieces for somewhere between six and seven years and is now on the path to being a driver again. After having some time and money to make it a respectable looking piece again im really glad she stuck around while numerous other cars came and went.

this is early 2000

this is within the last year

im hoping after i get her done she will show me some love and be dependable for once!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: