Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

propane fridge won't light /read posties
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: propane fridge won't light /read posties Reply with quote

Ive scoured the posts about propane woes and I've tried them all. Here's what I"VE got...'84 Westy-original fridge unused for years, full BBQ tank direct attached to unit on the bench to test. Cleaned out every orifice,nozzle,line and hose as instructed in the forums
. The sparker ignites the air/propane mix in the chamber but doesn't light. If I put in too much air the igniter pops loud and blows out the flame. If I take the chamber apart and light the unit, it burns perfect,put the screws back in and it won't start even though I know it's getting air from the air pump,chimney or clean-out line below. I've turned the flow of propane down and turned it up but it seems to be an issue with air for combustion...but it's got air! Anyone? Question
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming unit is on the bench,

The pop you hear is likely due to flooding. Too much LP.

Double check that air is being pumped into combustion chamber when using air pump. (open chamber, listen/feel) You really need to have a lot of fresh air pumped in there for it to ignite, establish cycle of intake/exhaust, and for it to keep that flow going.

Check for leaks. Plug intake or exhaust tube, and blow air in other tube. A piece of flexible plastic hose butted up against tube you blow into should work.

Possibly at:
gasket at combustion chamber
flex tubes (cracks)
union at big brass nut
poor seal at tubes where they meet manifold (there should be an O ring on each tube. Exhaust paste can help here)

Are gaskets between combustion chamber and intake tubes ok? I

Likely you read this, but a new combustion chamber gasket can be made with Hi Temp RED RTV.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally think the 'whoomp' sound of the air/propane mixture igniting but blowing out the flame, is due to too much propane, not too much air.

i've been dying to spew my fridge lighting theory, so here goes. as you know, the purpose of pumping air (either with the fridge pump or via the drain tube) is to get air into the chamber, and the purpose of holding in the button is to bypass the thermocouple and let propane into the chamber.

first, clear out all the unburnt propane and/or combustion byproducts by pumping in air - this is crucial to get enough air in to sweep out everything else. next, press the button on the front of the fridge - but, the longer you hold the button, the more propane goes into the chamber.

- let too little propane in, and there's not enough fuel in the fuel/air mixture to ignite
- let the right amount in, it ignites - this is the sweet spot when there's enough fuel to light, but not so much that it creates a big pop
- let a little too much in, it ignites with a whoomp and blows itself out
- let way too much in, and there's not enough air left to ignite - it's all been forced out by the propane.

the trick is to start clicking at the right time, juuust when the right fuel/air mixture is achieved. if you get the whoomp, you've let too much propane in - start clicking sooner after holding down the button.

beat the whoomp. that's all i'm saying.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Fridge Reply with quote

I beat the whoomp by removing the fridge and making a sweet little cabinet...pics soon!
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regulator on a BBQ propane tank is not the same as on the Westy tank. It is likely that it is allowing too much propane pressure through and flooding you out too fast. It sounds to me like there is no problem with ignition. Pumping air in through the bottom drain is a great way to flush the chamber, especially when it gets flooded. I will bet that if you try it with the Westy tank with the correct pressure regulator you will not have a problem. Don't forget that you need to hold down the button for a good 30 seconds after you click the plunger for it to take properly. This thing is all about nuance.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
The regulator on a BBQ propane tank is not the same as on the Westy tank. It is likely that it is allowing too much propane pressure through and flooding you out too fast. ....

Personally I have found that a BBQ tank/regulator works fine for testing. Maybe his BBQ regulator is faulty?

As per my previous post, I agree. Whoomp is likely due to flooding.

To the OP, it has been said but here's how I light mine.

Pump a LOT of air, then start igniting at same time as I depress and hold yellow button.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: it won't light Reply with quote

Thanks for your input.I think you're right about getting just the right amount of air/propane to get it to light.I have lite it a few times now, I'll wait a couple hours and try again after it all cools down.
Meanwhile Ive played with the fridge this afternoon and added the computer fan inside and replaced the original noisy rear fan with a whisper quiet computer fan. Nice.
WHITEWESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that it makes it easier to light when the cooler has been on 110vac for a few hours and all warmed up. I have had the same problem but I am getting better at it; seems a lot of it is technique and practice. I had my refer hooked up to my propane torch (6psi, way too much) and got the 'whooomp' you mentioned. Now it works great but i need to figure out how to keep er lit while going 100 mph, it keeps blowing out. Ok, you got me, i meant 59 mph. Keep at 'er.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: dometic reefer Reply with quote

Whitewesty Your flame shouldnt go out while on the road. Try the following, take off outside vent and make sure baffle is positioned correctly, a flatspot on baffle will be at top and bottom. Also make sure system is not leaking ie. seal at bottom of flame box and or cracks in flues. This is rare but could happen. I have owned mare than 50 Westys or vans with dometics and with a little work they all worked just fine, flame never goes out while driving.
Cheers Dave
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have found that when reefer is hot (from 110v or 12v) its very easy to light propane. But difficult to light when cold. Must be convection or something...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: