Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More travel out of FRONT SHOCKS??
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: More travel out of FRONT SHOCKS?? Reply with quote

My van sits high and the front shocks are close to topping out.

I have Bilstein HD's and want the Koni's to get a little firmer.

So the Koni's are shorter than the Bilstein's so it is a no go unless there is a way to extend the travel.

Thanks Jeff

Last edited by JeffRobenolt on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: More travel out of FRONT SHOCKS?? Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
My van sits high and the front shocks are close to topping out.

I have Bilstein HD's and want the Koni's to get a little firmer.

So the Koni's are shorter than the Bilstein's so it is a know go unless there is a way to extend the travel.

Thanks Jeff

If you have a now stock front ride height you are probably going to need a non stock shock. You will just have to get out a catalog and see what is available.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high do you sit?

I am at 18.5 and the crappy KYBs fit fine in the front.

I have read, recently, the the Konis may be too short.

I find this hard to believel

Guess some comparisons need to be made.

I would love to put Koni shocks in the front, as I am not happy with the KYB.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Bilstein HD that have 14.98 and the Koni's are around 14.5.

My van sits at 19".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty,

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you know the shocks are close to any limit? Is that on compression or extension? I am a bit confused. Stock on the 85 was pretty high at 18.5 and the standard shocks which these aftermarket ones are supposed to replace should not have much issue with your extra half an inch. So I want to know how you figger this is an issue?

-Walt

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the switch from Bilstein to Koni and didn't see any appreciable difference in extended length when I compared the two. If you're liable to top out with the Konis, then you'll do the same with Bilsteins.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
I made the switch from Bilstein to Koni and didn't see any appreciable difference in extended length when I compared the two. If you're liable to top out with the Konis, then you'll do the same with Bilsteins.

Its from a post I put up after i couldn't get the koni's to fit with the GW springs. Billstiens did & I do like them, the koni's were sooo sweet tho!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they not fit? What did you do to determine this? Usually a half an inch for a shock is not that much of a deal. We are all VERY curious.

The brick and mortar part of Shox.com is a short drive from my house. I want to go there and buy some new front shocks. I REALLY like the Konis, but do not want to be playing musical shocks.

BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shocks reached full extension before the suspension did. Drive off a curb or a big speed bump & the sound it makes will NOT warm your heart. My koni rears seemed to be better off but after topping out the suspension too much one has blown its seal. Koni's measure out a little more than .5" shorter.

Hey there are lots of members here running GW lift on a 2wd, anyone have success installing the Koni's???

I'm not getting up on a soap box saying i'm super-duper right, just sharing my experience.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNDERSTAND.

Maybe they have a longer shock available? That will be a good question for the guys at Shox, then.

Thanks,
Walt....

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And uhm, just to drive the point home, don't forget that the shocks are mounted inboard of the ball joint centerline. This means that 0.5" of shock travel becomes 0.82" of travel at the ball joint.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 19" my Bilstein's are close to the limit. They aren't hammering when they top out but you can feel them just reach there limit through the gas pedal on some bumps.

My rears hammered when they topped out. I ended up using Chevy Astro Van shocks.

I think I might try these extender's. They say they are 12mmx1 and fit Bilstein's.

Does anyone know the thread size of the Koni's. I rather get some stiffer shock like the Koni's.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shock-Extensions-For-Pro-and-Bilstein,323.html
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did call Koni and Bilstein tech departments and told them of my problem.

I asked if they had another shock that was a little longer and they both told me they can only look them up by vehicle application.

So if anyone has a catalog that shows specs please chime in.

I did order the 1 1/4 extenders for my Bilsteins.

Can anyone with a set of koni's check the thread size?

Thanks Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the thread sizes are different. I think the Bilsteins had a finer thread pitch. Sold my Bilsteins to another Samba member, so I can't compare.

Search around through Tristar Eric's old posts. I think he modified some shocks to gain some extended length and included photos and instructions.

Last edited by 1621 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way.

Sorry, no photo of the front configuration...digicam on the fritz. Will post shot when it or a replacement allows it.

Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjuster #58253 is second from the top, left column, page 15...compressed length: 10.5", extended length: 16.125".

Rockauto's got em for $58/pair...search under part: 58253, manufacturer: Monroe, type: suspension, shock absorber.

Killer performance:cost ratio IMO.

BTW, riceye had pointed out some time ago that #58275 may work well for a non-lifted van...my experience with it's longer brother strongly suggests that it would indeed be excellent in that application....also at a killer performance:cost ratio.

Last edited by snoop on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:

Can anyone with a set of koni's check the thread size?

Thanks Jeff

Konis = M10x1.0

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoop wrote:
Another way.

Sorry, no photo of the front configuration...digicam on the fritz. Will post shot when it or a replacement allows it.

Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjuster #58253 is second from the top, left column, page 15...compressed length: 10.5", extended length: 16.125".

Rockauto's got em for $58/pair...search under part: 58253, manufacturer: Monroe, type: suspension, shock absorber.

Killer performance:cost ratio IMO.

BTW, riceye had pointed out some time ago that #58263 may work well for a non-lifted van...my experience with it's longer brother strongly suggests that it would indeed be excellent in that application....also at a killer performance:cost ratio.

Look close at the catalog. Those two shocks have different mountings and helper springs. One pair will likely not work. Plus the helper springs may mess things up. Maybe there is abother Monroe that will do the trick?

snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops...thanks Walt...s'what I get for going off of memory...I've changed the post to reflect the correct non-lifted vanagon part #.
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the model I'm using...the 58275 has the same mounts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note: one does need to use collars or washers to center the lower shock mount in the lower control arm. There are several ways to optimize the top mount...easiest is to use a golf weight ring which nestles into the top of the shock housing and the bottom of the shock tower cup perfectly...they do come in colors other than pink...
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monroe pfd catalog is a lot of help but I ran into a problem.
The stock front shock part # for our vans is 34970.
It shows a mounting # of S4 for the top and bottom which can't be right.
The S4 is the stud.

Is there any other shock vender that has a spec sheet like monroe's to compare?

Snoop, the model you are using has a LS38 bottom mount, I could go that route and shim but it would be nice to find a bolt on.

Thanks Jeff

Last edited by JeffRobenolt on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: