Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Behr a/c electrical problem
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venturawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Behr a/c electrical problem Reply with quote

I've got the in dash behr a/c. It is fully charged, works fine when electricity is supplied. All fuses seem fine but does not seem to be getting any current to the compressor. We are heading out to Utah in a few days so it would be nice to have some cool air blowing around. The a/c is in an 85 westy. Anybody got any ideas on where to find the problem?
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a behr front a/c unit, to get the compressor to come on, all these things have to happen:
1) ignition on
2) one or both fans have to be on
3) the thermostat has to be turned down
4) refrigerant pressure higher than low pressure switch setpoint

do 1-2, then check the voltage at the 16ga red wire coming from the a/c electronics box usually mounted to the firewall under the heater vent cover. you should have 12V.

then, the 18ga blue wire at that box should be 0V when you turn up the thermostat, and 12V when turned down below the ambient temp.

this blue wire goes to the pressure switch then on to the compressor clutch. if you have 12V on the blue wire, but not at the clutch, you either don't have enough pressure in the system or the pressure switch might be bad.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time the system swas serviced? Typical Vanagons need their AC serviced (filled) every few years because the lines are SO long. Low refrigerant will keep the high side switch from engaging. You may try to bridge it as a quicky to see if that may be the issue. Don't leave it like that as you can cause damage in the long run.

I have a couple of Behr setups and the docmentation. I think I fould the wiring diagram on line. Likely, there are references to the URL somewhere in the forums or in the stickies. You can use that as a guide to see what may be wrong.

Q: How well has it worked before? Cold enough? You like it? Is it something I should add to my van?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Venturawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Two years ago it was recharged. Worked great.
- The system was converted to r134 six or seven years ago
-Last year stopped working. Had a blown fuse. Worked great after replaced still fully charged.
-A month ago had a small crack in a hose to compressor connector.
When charged it worked.
-Replaced the connector. Recharged the system and it was no longer working unless it had an outside electric source. Pressure is good still.
- I have searched for diagrams online and used the search and have had no success any suggestions would be apreciated.

- It has been quite cold for the driver. Anybody sitting in back has not felt the full cooling effect but it does cut the heat a bit. My wife does not like travelling without it. So Utah next week will most likely try her patience. Oh well, does not look like it will be as hot as usual this time of year.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a rush? Take it to the shop that did the AC work the last time.

Keep the boss happy.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Venturawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did bring it back to the shop that did the original work. They were the ones that deemed it an electical problem and said they were not the ones to find the problem. They checked the pressure of the system and that the system functione correctly otherwise.

Then I brought it to the local vanagon mechanic. He made it sound like it would be a big issue and the person able to figure it out only comes in from time to time. I do not think he was aware of the Behr system and kept talking about how difficult it is to get to the guts of the a/c's that are in the upper cabinets.

I am hitting the boards in hopes of solving the problem and keeping the boss happy. She is the one that insisted on getting the van so many years ago. She did insist on one with a/c.
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

behr schematic sent. i had to puzzle the complete workings out from the schematic because my system had been hacked and had some components missing.

r39o wrote:
Q: How well has it worked before? Cold enough? You like it? Is it something I should add to my van?

mine also gets OK cold, enough to keep the driver and passenger cool & drops the whole ambient temp of the van (but certainly won't freeze out anyone in the back seat).
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiigoiii wrote:
r39o wrote:

mine also gets OK cold, enough to keep the driver and passenger cool & drops the whole ambient temp of the van (but certainly won't freeze out anyone in the back seat).

I have rear air and want to add the front in to the system. It can be done, I am told. An A/C shop I know has done it.

FYI: They LIKE electrical problems. I find it odd they won't look at it. But if the pressure is good, then you have a good chance of finding the problem

Venturawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe it works maybe it does not? After messing with as many wires and connections that I could find I am getting the a/c to come on from time to time. It seems to come on after I play around with the top lever that controls the vents (the termostat lever?).

Once it comes on it stays on. After the van is turned off and restarted the a/c will not turn on till I move the vent controls from side to side? Or maybe it is just randomly coming on and I've convinced myself otherwise?

Thanks for the help that I have gotten! We may stay cool yet!

Charles
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd think it's most likely that by playing with the vent levers, you're inadvertently jiggling the switches or wires going to the a/c unit, since for the behr everything is located under the dash.

remember that the fan switches play a dual role - to energize the fans AND to energize the wire going to the electronics box. that secondary switch can fail in the behr fan switch units.

like i've said, the behr electrical is simple to diagnose (and fix and/or modify) if you follow the schematic and the instructions for testing i posted above....
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to sort out a electrical problem now with a 85 van that has the Behr AC. If anyone has a wiring diagram I'd sure like to see it. Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Behr a/c electrical problem Reply with quote

Venturawesty wrote:
I've got the in dash behr a/c. It is fully charged, works fine when electricity is supplied. All fuses seem fine but does not seem to be getting any current to the compressor. We are heading out to Utah in a few days so it would be nice to have some cool air blowing around. The a/c is in an 85 westy. Anybody got any ideas on where to find the problem?

Two things come to mind. "does not seem to be getting current". Have you checked with a volt meter? I have seen older cars get a voltage drop across long runs. There may not be enough voltage to pull the clutch in. I have added a relay to solve this type of problem. Also, I think the thermostat is wired inline to the compressor. If the thermostat is defective, that will keep the compressor from working. If you can access the thermostat, you should be able to jump the two wires. One should also have 12 volts with the AC on. Good luck.
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Behr a/c electrical problem Reply with quote

posting here the schematic for the in-dash behr a/c unit. (gotten a few requests for it, so i'm assuming it doesn't exist elsewhere!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Behr a/c electrical problem Reply with quote

I uploaded all my obscure schematics on the Behr system to the Samba archives years ago. Find them and print them out.

Sounds like a poor connection, always hard to find. If jiggling the control makes it turn on, that’s where I’d start looking. Or as someone else stated, start following the 12v circuit, and see where it ends. You may have to replace electrical connectors/wiring.

Good luck!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: