Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Joints FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

I would NEVER tack weld a ball joint of any type.

Understand...that inside any of them...is a plastic shell....usually a nylon alloy. It will have a maximum temp range of about 200-225.

Understand that the way a ball joint is constructed...and if its installed with suspension tension on it....the plastic packing inside ...which is THE critical part of tension and tolerance...will have pressure on it.

At 66 lbs of force...which is nothing inside of a ball joint...6/6 Nylon will deflect..meaning dent and flow at about 450 F....even if it reaches that temp only for a second or two. Constant max running temp at this low pressure is about 385F.

Now....at about 250-265 lbs of force....the 6/6 Nylon dents and flows at a meager 195F.... Shocked

There is no way you can make a decent tack weld on two pieces of cold steel can be welded only 1" away from a heat sensitive plastic...without risk.

A mig weld arc temp is about 6,000- 8,000 F...and the actual metal temp at the point of fusion is about 2300 F. Even 3-5 seconds of this temp can put heat soak through the thin ball joint cup wall.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

Quote:
That is odd.
It make sense that only the Knurling is 0.3mm larger. But I would expect that the knurlings would measure 48.3 mm and 48.6 mm respectively?
What does not make sense is? That they would list the Torsion arm bore specs with the ball joints. Without making reference to that fact. (ie: fits 48.3mm bore)
211 405 371 A Ball joint 48.3 mm (1.901") Knurling dia.
211 405 373 Ball joint 48.6 mm (1.913") Knurling dia.

There are no specs listed for the Torsion arms.
#1-#3
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/4-007.jpg

More questions than answers?

Thank you
Tcash

211 405 373
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/traggelenk-vw-t2.html

Bentley mentions the oversize torsion arms. (see below) I would suspect any good machine shop with a Sunnen hone for connecting rods could oversize any standard torsion arm to fit the oversize ball joints like the stock VW set I sold a couple weeks ago. I resized so many connecting rods as a machinist there is no reason a good shop could not do this, I know I could if someone lent me their Sunnen machine and the proper sized mandrel and stones. Coarse stones to remove metal quickly then fine stones to get to the exact ID. I was in the process of looking for a pristine set of arms with little wear on the bearing surface when I decided to just sell the bus. Health just isn't what it was 10 years ago. Best guess is that "B" stamped arms are rarer than the oversize ball joints.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rider28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

Hello everyone I’m in need of some help with my baywindow. Mine is slammed and just a couple days ago I busted a ball joint. What are some of the ways you have slammed your bays and the ride is not so rough.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

Sorry - I haven't slammed my bay so I have a nice cushy ride. We have a whole thread here on slammed bays. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156211
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

And heres the link to

"I slammed my Bay and it rides like shinola - how do I fix it?"
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

First time, I slammed it with fourteen humans in the cargo area. Drove fine, but a little slow in the acceleration department.

Nowadays, I mostly slam it on boulders and trails.

But if I actually wanted an answer, I would check the link SGKent posted. I would also try to join a local club and see if any other members have lowered buses you could ride in, as a litmus test of what they can and can't be.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
popuppopdog wrote:

Just want to get started

Did you measure your ball joints play?.

Will do on the joint play, my question is why not replace 40 year old ball joints if you have it apart already , any feedback on Loctite 680 and the two brands mentioned Lemforder or the Rare parts ball joint

Looks a little flat to me
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

You don't change the original ball joints or tie rods if they are in spec still because the only replacements available are inferior to what's on there now from VW. I think I mentioned my 50 year old original tie rods are still on my 67 bug. They have zero play and the grease boots are still fine. I'll run them until they show measurable wear or play.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

if the ball joints are in spec, and the tires aren't showing signs of weird wear, and the bus alignment is Ok then replace the ball joint boots if they are torn. Grease the ball joints first to push out any debris. Earlier bay ball joints had spots to insert a zerk fitting. The aftermarket ones are inferior to replacements. If one broke when it was lowered, it is likely whomever put in in clocked it wrong, or it had a defect. See Bentley for the how it should be clocked.

Lowering bays is like motorcycle custom design, this year's style is discarded by buyers as quickly as it seems cool. See it all the time, "well that style was really hot a few years ago - geez it is beautiful and so much work went into it - it would have brought probably $45K then but now it is only worth $9K for the engine cause we don't want the tires or frame etc." Stock buses never go out of style.
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
You don't change the original ball joints or tie rods if they are in spec still because the only replacements available are inferior to what's on there now from VW.

Good to know and that you have confidence in the original VW engineering will start with the free play and hope for the best. Will post my results here and on my thread thanks for the input
popuppopdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

[quote="SGKent"]if the ball joints are in spec, and the tires aren't showing signs of weird wear, and the bus alignment is Ok then replace the ball joint boots if they are torn. Grease the ball joints first to push out any debris. /quote]

Thanks for the input, these ball joints have no zerk fittings, but saw a post on installing them, your thoughts, all read your article on catalytic converters will pm you on that , I have questions

Thanks
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

FYI, people, volktronix has Nakata Bus ball joints available again on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382268367946

Note: I have no association with this seller. I just noticed that he has Nakata ball joints again, so I thought I'd provide a link since I know folks are looking for these. Got another set myself.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

popuppopdog wrote:
...Thanks for the input, these ball joints have no zerk fittings, but saw a post on installing them, your thoughts, all read your article on catalytic converters will pm you on that , I have questions...Thanks

PM sent
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

BTW - if this is what is you are referring to, that is a tie rod. And, you do not use green Loctite to hold it together.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

Are you able to use Beetle ball joints in your Bus?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Are you able to use Beetle ball joints in your Bus?

Yes and no. not all bug rod ends will work but these two seem to fit the bill for a baywindow.

311415811C
TIE ROD END, fits left outer for 1968 (1968 Bug, starting at chassis # 118857240) -1977 standard Beetle, fits outer for left and right tie rods for 1968-1979 Bus, fits inner for left and right tie rods for 1971-1974 Super Beetle, left hand threads, each

311415812C
TIE ROD END, fits right outer for 1968 (1968 Bug, starting at chassis # 118857240) -1977 standard Beetle, fits inner for left and right tie rods for 1968-1979 bus, fits outer for left and right tie rods for 1971-1979 Super Beetle, right hand thread, each
jeb1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

So on the "bench" test mentioned a few times in this thread about trying to turn the studs with the heads in a vice...

I purchased a set of 4 Nakata's based on various recommendations last month. All of them act the same in a vice, you can spin down the lock nut without turning the stud. I can't turn the studs by hand, but you can grab the flats with an 11 or 12 mm wrench and spin the studs with some effort (not a huge amount but it takes a full hand on the wrench, not just a finger).

Not sure what other folks experience with these parts are. I understand they are new and this method isn't very scientific.

The Febi (made in Germany) ball joints put on my bus in 2005 are still tight after 10k or so miles... the steering will not return to center after turning, you have to turn the wheel back to center. I'm tired of the notchy steering. I just drilled the tops, added grease zerks, and put 5-10 pumps of grease in each one today as a test to see if that helps any before I tear the front end apart further.

I have a 1968 bus I'm trying to get driveable... it has the original VW stamped ball joints with the threaded inserts. A good flushing with fresh grease has them where they move freely back and forth and rotating nicely. It definitely takes less effort to turn the front wheels lock to lock (when the front end is in the air) than the 1969.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

Stiff steering is not always ball joint related. The steering dampers sold these days are crazy stiff. Especially the Boge ones. To verify if the ball joints are too tight jack up the front of the bus and place it on jack stands and disconnect the tie rods from the spindles. If you try moving the spindle with the suspension hanging down it's going to seem stiff. Place a jack under the bottom ball joint and jack up the suspension until the bus just starts lifting off the jack stand. The spindle should now turn easily with no binding. Check the tie rod ends to make sure they aren't too stiff. I had a tie rod with really tight ends on my '65 bug that made the steering stiff and not return to center. Check the drag link as well. Grab it and twist it. It should move with some resistance. The steering box can be checked be removing the drag link from the steering box drop arm. It should move with no binding.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone have good luck with any brand of ball joints lately? I'm looking to do mine and am wondering what has been working well for people.

Thanks!
deezal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joints FAQ Reply with quote

I've had the delphi tc134 ball joints on for a year now and are working fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: