Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

San Francisco to Los Angeles and San Diego
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpureber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: San Francisco to Los Angeles and San Diego Reply with quote

My wife and I are soon to end our 2 month stay in San Francisco, heading South. I'm looking for suggestions on route, destinations etc. We'll be driving/living in our '66 Bus... fully stock aside from the 1914cc motor. The motor is new, maybe 4/5 thousand miles on it... don't remember off the top of my head.

My initial plan was to head down the coast, do the PCH/Big Sur thing. We drove it Northbound 2 years ago in her Ford Taurus and it was nice. However, from some quick looking I've found that getting a campsite will be difficult/impossible. We're down for stealth camping/boon docking... I just don't know where we can do it and not have issues with The Law. I'd rather stay away from I-5, but am open to suggestions of other routes inland etc.

Any suggestions for roads, destinations, activities, meet-ups etc are appreciated. We're not on any real timeframe, I just have to be able to put in some internet hours for work occasionally... otherwise we want to be able to enjoy ourselves and the ability to live in the Bus.

You can refer to my original post below:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=346955&start=42

Thanks
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the PCH route. Some of the best views you'll ever see and at least you'll be going slow enough to enjoy them.
There are plenty of camping spots along the way so I'm sure you'll be able to find one that has room.
If you don't want to drive the whole way a few of us on this site have driven down 101 to King City and taken the Ferguson-Naciemento road over the hills and you can camp at Plasket Creek Campground which is about one mile south of where you come out on highway 1.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many miles do you want to drive in a day? Do Hwy 1 for sure. Santa Cruz is full of friendly people and Hippies. So is Big Sur. If you pull into a campground and there are no spots I'm sure someone will invite you in with a classic splitty. One place you will love is Pismo Beach. It is the only beach in California you can drive on. There is endless camping south of the entrance.(Pier ave in Oceano right off Hwy 1) If there is a creek to cross watch where everybody goes across and go there. It depends on the tide. Solvang is a good tourist spot. Oxnard has some Rv parks, but i haven't stayed at them.
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind nudity, there is Bonny Doon beach 11 miles north of Santa Cruz or two miles south of Davenport. Also, four miles south of Davenport, there is Red, White, and Blue Beach (clothing optional); there is a small entrance fee and camping is allowed.
The Tassajara Buddhist Meditation Center near Carmel Valley would be good to check out but you would need a reservation in order to stay overnight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: