Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Beetle- Clutch or...?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: '69 Beetle- Clutch or...? Reply with quote

I was driving my '69 Beetle 'vert the other day, and everything was perfect until I noticed a problem. When I disengaged the clutch to down-shift, there was a clunking/jerking. There wasn't an issue at all when I up-shifted. I parked the car when I got home, and when I went to drive it again I started it and drove to the road. I put it in 1st and went to pull out, and the car wasn't going anywhere. When I tried to disengage the clutch it just shuddered and chattered. Reverse did the same. I didn't notice any difference in the feel of the shifter, or the clutch pedal. I pushed the car back into it's spot, and haven't looked it over yet as it's been raining. I ordered a clutch kit, but a friend told me it may not be the issue based on the symptoms. Any advice?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd pop the hubcaps off, put on the parking brake, put it in 1st gear and let out the clutch, and go out and have a look at the rear axle nuts. If one is spinning, that's the problem, you stripped the splines in that brake drum, and the car won't be going anywhere under its own power until you put a new one on. It also could be a broken CV joint, in which case you'd have to look underneath to see what is or isn't moving between the transaxle and the wheel.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69calibug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. The CV was suggested, I just need a second person to help me check it out tomorrow.
aceracer24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a loose/worn shift coupler be the cause of that?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no, not if the shifter felt the same as before, as he said it did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: