Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil filler filter question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

heard from someone that sombody makes a filter that goes on the oil filler hole to prevent leakage into the engine compartment. Anyone hear of that and do you know where I can find one?
eagle5127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had one too...yesterday I did an oil change and the residual is still dropping on the garage floor today!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen angled filler neck extensions before, with a "male" and "female" oil cap fitting on the ends - when installed it made it so the oil cap was now horizontal.

Just searched the Gallery for it, you mean something like this then? The "About Time Inc" oil filler adapter?

Check out this ad:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=455340

pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=455340[/img]

Then there's those angled aftermarket chrome or billet fillers that go in place of the stock one.

I saw some insane looking tall one recently online somewhere..... yeah just found it it again:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D115%2D553
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on my 1835 is like thirty years old. And I can't remember where it came from, see photo.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back before emission controls and PCV valves and other suck pollution control devices, engines had a porous oil filler cap. Inside the cap was "steel wool" not unlike the VW air filter top.
This was the engine crankcase vent and the "steel wool" trapped the oil particles to hopefully drain back into the engine instead of blowing out.

Wasn't highly effective, especially on an older worn engine.

The Older VW engines vented the fumes below the engine just under the filler neck. They should have a rubble tip on the end of the pipe though most don't any longer.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

Just hopping in here to share a photo. Got my hands on one of these NOS today from a friend who wanted to add little something special to my finished 64. It’s a super cool piece that’s functional and unique. Twists right on and the factory oil fill cap fits right into it. Real nice part.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Just hopping in here to share a photo. Got my hands on one of these NOS today from a friend who wanted to add little something special to my finished 64. It’s a super cool piece that’s functional and unique. Twists right on and the factory oil fill cap fits right into it. Real nice part.

Make sure you enter the "modified" class at Terryville. Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

Some here
https://www.jbugs.com/search.html?q=oil+filler
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

I wonder if the original is still available to purchase like obnoxiousblue posted. That looks awesome on your vehicle. Like it belongs there and was original to that vehicle. You have a good friend.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
I wonder if the original is still available to purchase like obnoxiousblue posted. That looks awesome on your vehicle. Like it belongs there and was original to that vehicle. You have a good friend.

They are out there, you just have to find one for sale.

The weird thing is that there should be A TON of them for sale because I know someone bought a huge pile of them from the original manufacturer's estate in Las Vegas years ago. I'm not sure why they haven't hit the market...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

It seems like an oversight that the filler neck is at the angle it is. So I must be missing something about the design. Is there a reason it is that way ? Did they used to use a different kind of oil can or fill container that worked well with that angle? Like the old paper cans where you had to snap the oil funnel on it, etc?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

Seb67 wrote:
Did they used to use a different kind of oil can

I guess you're under 40.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

I would love to get my hands on something similar as well. I am always "drooling" oil when I am either topping up or changing the oil. I even use an extension spout on the oil bottles.

All of them that I have found so far, you have to replace the original with a modified part. I just want to add an extension such as this.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Seb67 wrote:
Did they used to use a different kind of oil can

I guess you're under 40.

Those would leak when I used them !!! I still have one sealed oil can though...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

A LOT of people pour from a one-quart oil "can" the wrong way- and spill it all over their engine. Pour with the can's spout up- not down. And there's less interference with a preheat hose if you got 'em.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
A LOT of people pour from a one-quart oil "can" the wrong way- and spill it all over their engine. Pour with the can's spout up- not down. And there's less interference with a preheat hose if you got 'em.

And use a long funnel situated between the deck lid pointing down into the filler.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

I got this off ebay a couple of years ago for $5.00. No more dribbling in the engine compartment Very Happy

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
I got this off ebay a couple of years ago for $5.00. No more dribbling in the engine compartment Very Happy

I have one of those too; bought it new like 4 decades ago !!!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: oil filler filter question Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

I have one of those too; bought it new like 4 decades ago !!!

Very handy, however, it does take a few minutes to flush it out with mineral spirits after use to avoid oil seeping from the flexible joints.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: