Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Secret NAPA fuel pump part # found!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markz2004 wrote:
borninabus wrote:
adamjjohn203 wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220558299564?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

just ordered this one for $59.95 w/ free shipping
fingers crossed...

Napa quoted me $143 wholesale for N69100 Confused

Now up to $99.

still a great deal!
my wholesale cost on Bosch 69414 is close to $150.

will post a pic of what i received later.
i have no reason to believe that the pump is not the same unit that is supplied to Bosch.
right down to the hardware kit & pump end caps; it is identical to 69414.
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just want to confirm something that is a bit cloudy. I have a 1991 2.2 Subaru engine in my '85 vanagon. I know that fuel injection units are very picky about what psi they receive from the fuel pump. The original Subaru fuel pump was in-tank and rated at 36 psi. It sounds like the majority of folks have liked the Bosch 69414 pump for a replacement. Will that pump be compatible with my Suabru engine or do I need to obtain a different pump? My beef is when you look at a pump for sale on EBAy or Amazon, they do not provide any spec info regarding psi or gph rating.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, fuel pumps put out plenty of PSI. Fuel Pressure Regulators reduce the pressure to that needed by the injectors and related distribution system which is quite a bit lower than pump pressure. For an external pump like the WBX uses, the type of fuel pump installed can be a wide range because they'll all "fit" the location.

This may not be true of an in tank pump as you describe, which requires a certain shape for the mounts and such.

So I would be inclined to experiment with a WBX external pump setup, but definitely would buy the precise pump for an in tank pump. But if you are asking about an external type, I say go for it.

I was just recently thinking about buying a spare pump for my Vanagon and installing it on my Quattro for a while to see if an occasional loss of power is a fuel pump on its last legs. Like the Vanagon, the Quattro is an external type. Mentioning that to show the plug n play aspect of many fuel pumps.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Doug Smile

i did (quickly; noted) receive what appears to be a "Bosch" 69414 pump:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i don't know SfromS about subi swaps, but this pump is very capable of pressures higher than 30-40psi.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, but for the $ conscience any of these FORD E2000 fuel pumps will provide plenty of gas under plenty of pressure for our engines.
note that you want an inlet/outlet to match yours for ease of install.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ford+E2000+fuel+pump&_sop=15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Looks good, but for the $ conscience any of these FORD E2000 fuel pumps will provide plenty of gas under plenty of pressure for our engines.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=ford+E2000+fuel+pump&_sop=15

Just bought one of these E2000's on Ebay for 16 bucks. Seemed a worthwhile risk. It'll also double nicely as the pump for a filter loop on my boat's dirty gas tank.
Stoke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
hi Doug Smile

i did (quickly; noted) receive what appears to be a "Bosch" 69414 pump:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i don't know SfromS about subi swaps, but this pump is very capable of pressures higher than 30-40psi.

Anyone run one of these ebay pumps yet, and confirm they are quiet? Is the one pictured actually a Bosch? The listing says its a Hayg Walbro.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Just bought one of these E2000's on Ebay for 16 bucks. Seemed a worthwhile risk. It'll also double nicely as the pump for a filter loop on my boat's dirty gas tank.
Stoke!

I've been running this pump with a big Racor filter a ton as a recirculator/ 'polisher' for the gas tank in my boat. I had recently put in about 30 gallons after pumping the boat tank out, not realizing that it would mix with years of bottom of tank water and gunk that the tank's pickup didn't pickup on initial pump out. The pump is louder than the stock VW pump but has worked very well. I imagine it'd work well in my Westy too as an emergency backup. Which is what it will be.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plenty quiet Wink
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably mentioned elsewhere, but nearly every time I have encountered a noisy fuel pump it had nothing to do with the fuel pump. It was caused by blockage AHEAD OF THE FUEL PUMP. Early tanks have nylon filter sock in them. EVERY old Vanagon tank I ever owned had a rusty tank and plugged this filter. Also, fuel pumps have a mesh screen at the inlet fitting that will plug up with larger debris.
I would never , ever run a pump without an inlet filter or this screen will be plugged. I think the nylon mesh in the tank often gets torn, so it is the worst of both worlds (plugs up AND does not filter.). Very often a temporary cure to noisy pump is to unhook the hose coming into the engine bay the one from the pump and blow air backwards thru it. Air over about 50psi will escape past the bypass of the pump and clean of any clogged mesh temporarily.
I immediately install a Napa 2032 filter head of the pump Between the tank and the pump.
If this plugs on the road, one can remove it and back flush it with any spray can solvent with a straw, like carb cleaner or WD-40. Backflush it onto a white paper and a nice pile of rust will be on your white paper. Maybe not as good as a new filter , but way better than walking to buy one.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Secret NAPA fuel pump part # found! Reply with quote

Bus Depot is selling a pump that they identify as a 043906091 without giving the brand name (that I saw at least), but do say it is US made. Am interested in a pump that I can get from a chain autoparts like O'reilly's or Autozone so it would be easy to replace under warranty out on the road. Does anyone have info on the 043906091 pump. Any recommendations on other pumps to buy which would be commonly found at a chain auto parts?

Thanks
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Secret NAPA fuel pump part # found! Reply with quote

I love my local NAPA. I was very loyal to the larger "Vanagon" suppliers, but gave up on them after dealing with bad attitudes and long waits for parts. Most Vanagon mechanical/tune up parts are not stocked in my local store, but are ordered from the warehouse and delivered to my office the next day. The parts are identical to what I can get online and are delivered for free. I am provided a better service while supporting a member of my local community and I am still able to support the vendors I consider to be the Vanagon specialty supplies when I order the spare tire mount for the bumpers I installed a few years ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: