Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show me your in-bus toolbox and parts storage solutions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Show me your in-bus toolbox and parts storage solutions Reply with quote

I'm looking to add a toolbox and parts storage solution to the bus that hopefully will be clean and simple.

I just want a place to keep my tools and essential parts and fluids (extra fuel filter, valve cover gaskets, quart of oil, brake fluid, etc) someplace instead of having them strewn around in the back as I currently have them.

Would love to see some photos and/or recommendations of what you guys have come up with.

- Joe
theadmiral1000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just throw everything under the rear seat of my 77 Westfalia. No one's the wiser that all the tools are down there.
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at photos of interiors today and noticed that quite a few people with hardtops like mine decided to improvise and make custom cabinets, installed sinks and stoves, and fit a westfalia-style rear bench.

I don't have the cash right now to go that far, but I might make a custom cabinet and start with that.
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIOMX,

Here's what worked for me . . . Custom built side cabinet that hides the spare, plus adds LOTS of storage space for tools, oil, pcs, parts, etc. Yeah, it's all in there. The front of the cabinet (flip-down door accessible from the bench seat) houses my power inverter, 12v fuse panel, aux.battery charging connections, and 120v main switch.

This cabinet was built entirely from 1/2" plywood scrounged from here & there, covered with some material from Wal-Mart's $1 rack. The "door" covering the side of the cabinet is actually our table. It locks onto a free-standing base with fold out tripod legs, so it can be used in or out of the bus! I figured, why build a door for the cabinet when I still hadn't figured out where to store the table?!? Wink

-Klauss

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitty_smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

---1974 Super Beetle "Gus" 1835 Engle 110 Dual Kadrons
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaussinator wrote:
RIOMX,

Here's what worked for me . . . Custom built side cabinet that hides the spare, plus adds LOTS of storage space for tools, oil, pcs, parts, etc. Yeah, it's all in there. The front of the cabinet (flip-down door accessible from the bench seat) houses my power inverter, 12v fuse panel, aux.battery charging connections, and 120v main switch.

This cabinet was built entirely from 1/2" plywood scrounged from here & there, covered with some material from Wal-Mart's $1 rack. The "door" covering the side of the cabinet is actually our table. It locks onto a free-standing base with fold out tripod legs, so it can be used in or out of the bus! I figured, why build a door for the cabinet when I still hadn't figured out where to store the table?!? Wink

-Klauss

Klauss:

Your setup is really awesome and I really like how much space is still left over after all of the modifications. We like what you've done and are considering doing something similar.

My wife and I have a bed that is busted (my brother and his friend broke it when they were "helping" us move earlier this month) that we are planning on using the boards from to make the cabinets, a sink area, stove, and a bench for our bed.

I'll post pictures soon.
Westy4Life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've done. Very Happy

Here's a link to all my pics so far...

http://picasaweb.google.com/stephaniedeguire/LucyMorePictures#

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Francis
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Francis! Gus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy4Life,

That's a cool tool box! Great use of the "V8" hole!

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tooster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a picture, but I bought a rectangular plastic toolbox that fits perfectly between the front seats. I then made a matching (back seats) yellow cushion that I mounted onto the top of the box. It sits at seat level and looks like it belongs there. It looks identical to my stool that sits right behind it. An additional bonus - it doubles as a place for the dog to sit as well.
Ubergoober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooster wrote:
I will post a picture, but I bought a rectangular plastic toolbox that fits perfectly between the front seats. I then made a matching (back seats) yellow cushion that I mounted onto the top of the box. It sits at seat level and looks like it belongs there. It looks identical to my stool that sits right behind it. An additional bonus - it doubles as a place for the dog to sit as well.

Pictures. Now.
Laughing
'71 Westfalia
'62 Ragtop
'71 Squareback
'77 BMW R100/7 Airhead
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should cover the spare parts...

tools ride in the cabinet under the sunkist box, with the aux battery and belts.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Krautski"]This should cover the spare parts...

Too funny . . . Laughing

-Klauss
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good one I think: I bought a craftsman SOFT toolbag, about 14" long by 6" wide by 18" tall, big central compartment and the front zips open to house a bunch of hand tools very neatly... I keep a full set of sockets, crescent wrenches, mirrors, every daily tool I have for bus work in fact. The best part is the whole thing fits INSIDE the front armrest cabinet. I tip it back, slide the toolbag inside, lower it, and no one's the wiser. Doesn't rattle or move at all. In fact, the weight keeps the center console from tipping on turns. There's a brace across the bottom of the console that holds it in normally, but for this trip I screwed a black plywood floor on as well, so it really looks like nothing a thief would be interested in even if he tipped it over. Spare parts, well those go under the seat of course!

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a nice new tupperware container the largest one that would fit betwene the the posts under the seats it slides out easy,its clear so i can see whats on the bottom and i can pull it out and set it down and not worry about it rusting if it is wet or snowey
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowy in los banos?

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.... i go camping and some times there is snow.yosemite is only an hour and a half away.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now I have the rusty craftsman look as well... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used a metal toolbox in years for in the bus tools. I use a Jansport backpack. It's a weekend size with lots of places to keep tools seperated. It is black, hard to see at night & does not scream "tools in here, steal me". So far it seems to work & I have been fortunate to never have them stolen. My neighborhood is not the best either, & bus is parked outside except winter.

A soft sided bag is great to stuff somewhere, anywhere, if space is at a premium when traveling. Generally my bag sits on the passenger floor or between the seats in the walk through. Another 70lbs on the front axle is always good in an empty bus on the highway.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Seems like many of you have gotten creative with the spaces where you store your parts and tools.

I've been keeping my plastic toolbox in the back, but until I build my cabinets, I'm going to keep stuff under the passenger's seat. I think my stuff will fit in there for now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: