Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What Size Torque Wrench Do I Need?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: What Size Torque Wrench Do I Need? Reply with quote

I need to buy a torque wrench and I was wondering what range do most of the bolts on a Vanagon fall into. There are a lot of choices and price ranges. 10-75 ft-lbs, 5-80, 20-150, 25-250, etc. 1/2" or 3/8 drive. I probably will never do an engine tear down, but I will do most everything else. I'd like to stay within $125.

What size wrench have people found most useful? What's the highest torque bolt I'll need to tighten?

Thanks!
WestyLuna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for this last week. Check out this previous post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...uts+torque

It says you'll need something that goes up to 150 Ft/lb as lug nuts should be torqued to 133.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard several complaint of 1/2 drive torque wenches breaking if used much at over 150 ft*lbs. That pretty much negates buying anything that would read higher. For your rear axle nut just standing on your breaker bar is accurate enough.

I own a 150 ft*lb clicker and a 3/8 beam and somewhere buried were I can no longer find it is a 1/4 beam which I miss.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience you really need two....the large one 20 -150 ft/lbs and an inch/lbs one for the more delicate torque settings under 20 ft/lbs. It is nice to know that you are getting something in aluminum tight enough without stripping the bolt.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: My Solution for Inch-Pounds Reply with quote

This device works pretty well for minute adjustments in inch-pounds, up to 65 inch-lbs:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=718023

The price is good. You can get a 1/4 to 3/8" adapter to use it with a conventional socket set. I bought this mostly for Winston's windshield washer screws, and... Er... more explosive uses.

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: