Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For curiosity's sake.... flat6 porsche swap config's?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Keep in mind that a 911 engine is really designed to move a aero dynamic light car very quickly through high revolutions of the engine.

You have a bus. A big heavy 2 ton breadloaf that has runs so hot it melts engines as it goes up hills fully loaded in the August.

Stop, please, stop. This sort of repetitiveness gets ridiculous.
A "big" "heavy" bus has a 94 1/2 inch wheelbase and weighes 3,250 lbs in Westy trim. That is 500 lbs less than your average modern 4 door.

A Porsche 911 engine is going to have nooooooooo problem launching a bus through a bus gearbox. As a matter of fact, a Porsche 911 powerplant would have a splendid time in a bus having this glorious opportunity to rev through that gearbox up to 30 mph in 1st, 50 in second, 75 in third and you better be done about there. Using the bus ratios for an insane concert of Porsche engine at 4,200 rpm in 4th at 75 mph would make for an extremely happy cool Porsche engine, but your ears . . . .
hot-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soviet1942 wrote:
So what would be a smart option if you currently have a type 1 motor in the bus?

if your happy with it leave it alone,

the only reason im doing the 911 swap is the fact i have 3 extra engines laying around so its cheaper for me to install one i have plus i love the smooth power and sound of a flat six.

cheers ed
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I prefer my conversion. At least it is still a 78 Type4 engine. The internals are all German, the externals, well that was my idea.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been considering picking up this 68 westy with Corvair power in it. And if the conversion is complete it should have the Chevy tranny as well.

At 110hp I would think it would get up with the program and be reasonable to fix if it were to break being a mass produced Chevy product.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that with any conversion it is a case of circumstances, availability and skill. The circumstances demand a new/rebuilt engine, more horsepower/torque, etc., you have easy availability to a (pick one) Chevy V6/Corvair/Porsche/stock/CS/etc... and you happen to have or not have the ability to fab up the new mounts, etc. If you have a Porsche engine in the garage and the ability to install it in you bus then go for it...I would! Same goes for the Corvair or many other combinations. They all have their pros and cons and likely once you have decide on one it means that you are willing to live with the cons. The only cons to some of the conversions may be the work involved in doing the fabrication work but again...if you are willing... I for one am a fan of the Corvair conversion, very sweet...yes, it is not a German made engine but GM did outsource its design to...you guessed it, Porsche! In my situation I do not have the skill to do a swap (or the free time to learn) or a donor motor in the garage so my new motor was a GermanSupply. Powerful, fully built and bolt in! To each his/her own!

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol

Last edited by JMazier on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of the 911 in a bus. Gkafer, wow nice. Look there are a hundred reasons not to do it. I understand Jakes point of view, but, at one time he was just a hot rodder trying to figure out a better way to make a bus run at one time and wow, he did. Someone probably told him it was a waste of time and money. I am glad he carried on. For my money and the time I can put into my bus, in the future I lust for one of Jakes motors. But, if we were dealing with American iron this would just be hot rodding. I have seen a Ferrai engine in a Jeep Wagoneer. If you are in SoCal go to Art Chrismans shop, yikes! I think pushing the envolpe and trying new things is what makes the world tick. Viva le differance!
craig1017
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy,
Hard to tell for sure w/o seeing the engine numbers - but that corvair motor may not be the 110 you're looking for. The presence of the generator on the left side indicates that the motor is '64 or earlier. '64 was the only year that the 110hp "Big Block" in corvair terminology was availible. Earlier modesl were 80hp, 95hp, 102hp, and 110hp.

Because of the head design, the 95hp model would actually be the "best" for a van.

I've never understood the animocity on this forum about transplanting non german pedigree motors into VW's?

Craig
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craig1017 wrote:
notchboy,
Hard to tell for sure w/o seeing the engine numbers - but that corvair motor may not be the 110 you're looking for. The presence of the generator on the left side indicates that the motor is '64 or earlier. '64 was the only year that the 110hp "Big Block" in corvair terminology was availible. Earlier modesl were 80hp, 95hp, 102hp, and 110hp.

Because of the head design, the 95hp model would actually be the "best" for a van.

I've never understood the animocity on this forum about transplanting non german pedigree motors into VW's?

Craig

Thanks as thats important to know. Im kinda on the fence over it because of what you just said about the no original factor. It was a tasteful mod that benifits the bus. But if its only a 95hp then I can build more than that with less weight from a VW motor.

As these cars get older the real parts get harder to find, trends come and go, hard core enthusiests leave and or die. All these things effect how many stock, I mean bone stock examples we see of anything. Its the return to roots or leave it as VW intended minds that will be the first to tell you a V6 in a 74 Bay is kinda lame or wrong or.....

I personaly think that there are a shitload of bay out there. They made alot of them. So do what you gota do. As far as puting a Sube in a 52 splitwindow bug, slammin it and painting it purple.... Rolling Eyes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough of this madness of underpowered VW's. Constant threads of "can I put a Ford, or Corvair or Porsche in my bus?" Why not put a Cummings turbo diesel in one just to prove it can be done.
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Enough of this madness of underpowered VW's. Constant threads of "can I put a Ford, or Corvair or Porsche in my bus?" Why not put a Cummings turbo diesel in one just to prove it can be done.

The point is, there is someone out there who just might do it. Just because he or she can. It's called Hot Rodding. A great American tradition. And, it's ok if it's for you. It's not for everybody.
Sambafraser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it great being able to change a VW. It is a peoples car.

My favourite was a friend in the UK. In his £3.2 mil house shows me his Bentley GTC. He throws me the line of "I'll just get the wife to bring out the Bentley" You can tell the bloke has worked for the moment of this.
But then the reality is that his wife is pushing a 2 tonne Bentley out of a garage. He backtracks explaining that the house they bought is so old and expensive it is a listed building so they can't change it. The insurance company clause insists they have it in a garage as the car is so expensive. They can fit the Bentley into the garage with the mirrors folded, but can't open the doors.
1968singlecab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: porsche swap Reply with quote

yeah your prolly right, porsche in a VW is a bad idea...

http://germancarscene.com/2006/10/20/500-bhp-1962-vw-bus/

or on the track...

http://www.autopia.org/forum/hot-tub/104920-1962-vw-bus-porsche-993-twin-turbo.html

I happen to have a hot rodded 80 911 with a 993 varioram motor. I just bougth myself a rustbucket of a single cab, that has more gas in the crackcase than oil... I dont know how much longer I can resist the obvious swap...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny as through this whole thread this bus was the one I was thinking of. Granted the work into this is alot more than the average Bay retard here on this list can do but it does go to show anything is possible when executed right.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
GeoffP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an old vid of the engine running in the Blue bus. Sorry it's poor quality.

http://www.airspeedparts.com/video/speed-e.wmv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I have been considering picking up this 68 westy with Corvair power in it. And if the conversion is complete it should have the Chevy tranny as well.

At 110hp I would think it would get up with the program and be reasonable to fix if it were to break being a mass produced Chevy product.

Once drove a relative's '67 Westy (small pop-top) with stock Corvair engine & trans swapped in: perfect manners, just much more torque at any engine speed, and very forgiving about cruising along at engine RPMs that would be almost "lugging it" with a Type 1 VW stocker (especially with the added weight of the baywindow models). Very impressive, and outside, simply a 'factory' appearance from most vantage points.

BTW the Corvair boxer-6 is typically listed as "300lbs" compared to the VW Type IV as "311lbs", so basically equal, although the '65-69 IRS Corvair 4-speed Saginaw transaxle is around 150lbs, as compared to the VW 091 box at what... 85-90lbs(?). (The earlier Corvair swing-axle 4-speed tranny weighs about 85lbs, also)

Also, I had the opportunity to drive one of a contractor friend's several Corvair "Rampside" pickups, in the mountains, with a new washer and dryer on board. Not a major powerhouse, but even with its 2-speed Powerglide trans, it was adequate to drive at 45-55mph up the steepest of the hills encountered. Had it been equipped with a 4-speed manual, however, it might have done even better. Having driven our stock, but lighter, '81 Vanagon 2L (4-speed) through the same route, I'll say that it (unloaded) would have been hard-pressed to have stayed up with that load-carrying Corvair Rampside.

IMO Porsche easily gave Chevy their money's worth with the Corvair engine design, but Chevy wanted profits more than 'excellence'. They made a ton more profit off the seemingly more conventional, but almost totally-flawed Vega, Monza, Sunturd, et. al. POS vehicles. (BTDT, too!)

If you can get a nice complete bay, already converted to Corvair power, for a decent price, it can't be all bad. You could even get a Pacesetter-look-alike 4-tip exhaust made up, and likely no one would even ask if it had a non-VW powerplant, until you pass them coming out of a slow corner, or they watch you moving right along with the rest of the traffic going up a steep hill.

mywifesghia said it: "... And, it's ok if it's for you. It's not for everybody." But then, neither are baywindow buses universally-appreciated!
68 Westy
(+ others)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get that bus with the chevy motor in it-Ill put a bad ass glass pac on it so i can blast people as Im going up hill Twisted Evil

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
If I get that bus with the chevy motor in it-Ill put a bad ass glass pac on it so i can blast people as Im going up hill Twisted Evil

Sigh. In that case, don't forget the 5" ricer fartcan stainless steel exhaust tip. You'll be a real hero, pulling into a campground late at night.Rolling Eyes
68 Westy
(+ others)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Sigh. In that case, don't forget the 5" ricer fartcan stainless steel exhaust tip. You'll be a real hero, pulling into a campground late at night.Rolling Eyes

Nope got a nice Folgers can ready to go Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mywifesghia wrote:
SGKent wrote:

The point is, there is someone out there who just might do it. Just because he or she can. It's called Hot Rodding. A great American tradition. And, it's ok if it's for you. It's not for everybody.

Yeah, thats so dumb. I was thinking more of a Detroit Diesel series 60,.. you know, 2010 EPA compliant and all that. Keep the Prius drivers all discombobulated and stuff........

AND, 6" fart can out back! Anxious
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300344&highlight=airspeed
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98067&highlight=airspeed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: