Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Key tag from factory
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
I have all the blanks made up. I will tumble polish them to even out the surface and debur the edges. Next step are the markings:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sweet! Now I will have to decide which key tag I will use, the one with the vin number or the Hazet assistant key ring. Jeff, you have single handedly made my life more difficult. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
Anchovy wrote:
I have all the blanks made up. I will tumble polish them to even out the surface and debur the edges. Next step are the markings:

Sweet! Now I will have to decide which key tag I will use, the one with the vin number or the Hazet assistant key ring. Jeff, you have single handedly made my life more difficult. Laughing

Thanks Neil, but why compromise. Go with both!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all the tags stamped with the VIN's. I wasn't happy with the first VW logo so I am redoing it this week. All parts should ship by this weekend. I will be at the Vintage Treffen this weekend making them there so hit me up:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
I got all the tags stamped with the VIN's. I wasn't happy with the first VW logo so I am redoing it this week. All parts should ship by this weekend. I will be at the Vintage Treffen this weekend making them there so hit me up:

There's a PM to you in my outbox requesting a tag. Is your box full?
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all three of your requests taken care of, thanks!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jeff, have we determined that the numbers on the tag are the VIN number or a key code? I'll have to start collecting all seven of my VIN numbers and get a big order together for you!

It was great to get to see you in the swap meet at the Treffen last weekend.It was fun to see all the Assistant stools there, I LOVE the stool you fixed me up with!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Nice to meet you in person at the VT. I am glad you like the stool.

The key tags were marked with the VIN. I have looked through the gallery and noticed that some of the later vehicles don't have the first three digits of the VIN on their original tag. The tags really get rough as they go later. Here is a 1973 Thing tag:

I can stamp whatever characters you want on the tag. I have had some folks requesting the dealership name, their vehicles "name", the year and model, etc. on the backside of the tag. Here is an example:

I am picking up the final version stamp for the logo today and will be shipping orders on Friday. Thanks for your patience as I work out the bugs.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the tags are completed and will ship tomorrow. Thanks again.

zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look friggin' perfect. Great job.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:

Thanks again for lending me your tag. I am sending it back today along with the other tags you asked for.

Here is Neil's tag which came out nice:

npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
zozo wrote:

Thanks again for lending me your tag. I am sending it back today along with the other tags you asked for.

Jeff, I noticed the really delicate engraving work was completed sometime diring or just after the Treffen. Is it just a conicidence or did Everett's lazer vision have anything to do with this? If so, how do you compensate him for his "other worldly skill"? I have some "projects" in mind...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
Jeff, I noticed the really delicate engraving work was completed sometime during or just after the Treffen. Is it just a coincidence or did Everett's laser vision have anything to do with this? If so, how do you compensate him for his "other worldly skill"? I have some "projects" in mind...

Mostly correct. The markings are stamped like original. Ev used his laser vision to create the stamps for me...then he tried to erase my memory with one of those pens from Men in Black. I was on to him and blinked at just the right moment.
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to definitely be ordering some along with a custom one for my cars.

I did some digging and turned up these originals. The black one is from an early water cooled car, they were in the glove box of a low mile 77 beetle I bought from the estate of a dealer, the 77s keys still had their tag too. The silver one was in a French/Canadian service manual from 1971 that I picked up at a show a few years back.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

I learned from a buyer today that all the VIN digits are not stamped in later tags. I suspected this looking through the gallery.

Here is a tag from a 1965 bug and it is missing the "11" in front of the number stamped on the tag.

I will stamp the tag however you would like.

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I might be mistaken but I thought I saw a few of those screwed to the top of a few carbs I had bought. I'll have to look. I thought it was weird to have that tag on a crab when it had a vin# ...

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
You know I might be mistaken but I thought I saw a few of those screwed to the top of a few carbs I had bought. I'll have to look. I thought it was weird to have that tag on a crab when it had a vin# ...

Hey Crofty,

I've had old carbs with the tags on them. I recall that they are marked with the VW part number for the carb.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
crofty wrote:

Hey Crofty,

I've had old carbs with the tags on them. I recall that they are marked with the VW part number for the carb.

I thought that's where the factory tied the keys when they shipped out a car. I'm pretty sure that's where they were in the 1970's.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the carb tags had part numbers on them. Here is a pic of the tag from my '59 Sedan.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
crofty wrote:

Hey Crofty,

That makes more sense. I'll double check just for the hell of it- maybe I wasn't seeing all the numbers.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
bloovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
zozo wrote:

how did you make the vw stamp? could you make me one?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: