Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a Vanagon Westy Camper-was it a good deal?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
manofadventure1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Bought a Vanagon Westy Camper-was it a good deal? Reply with quote

I can't find anything on what my vehicle is worth, maybe you guys can help. 3 weeks ago I bought a 1984 Vanagon Westfalia full camper here on the Big Island of Hawaii. Well, almost full-camper... termites had gotten into the cabinetry, and all of the interior cabinets had to go. All appliances were saved, and now I plan on rebuilding the cabinetry to suit my style. I just wanted to know if you think I got a good deal. 93,000 original miles (Carfax proven); New tires, brakes, water pump, radiator, rear axle. The old automatic was taken out, and a 4-speed manual and new clutch and proper sized axles installed. All done by the owner, who is a mechanic, and had full receipts for all new parts. The van has no leaks anywhere, and doesn't seem to burn any oil. I've put about 300 miles on her, and the engine sounds magnificent. Some minor rust in the rear, which looks to be from a roof leak. I'll need a new camper canvas. I've changed the coolant just to be safe, per the Bentley manual. She runs right where the manuals say she should be, temperature-wise. I only paid $1500 for "Moonbeamer"! Any idea what she's worth? I've put some photos on the gallery page. Any advice on what I should do to get started, besides the oil and coolant changes I've already done? Thanks so much!
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score,killer price, welcome aboard. Have fun with the cab work.
manofadventure1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Any idea of the actual worth?
cannedveggiessuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was worth about 1500 bucks Smile
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like it was worth about 1500 bucks

This is the truth. Sounds like you got a KILLAH DEAL brah! The actual truth though, is for you, its priceless. Right now, i wouldnt sell mine for ONE MILLION DOLLARS </Dr. Evil>

About the only thing i can tell you to do: CHANGE THE FUEL LINES! Im serious. Do it. Then go camp!

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats!

on any newly purchased used vehicle ALWAYS flush out all the old brake fluid and refill with a DOT 4 or 4-200 fluid; pressure bleed the system

if you have a hydraulic clutch do that too

Do it every 2-3 years no matter if it is only driven 6 feet - else you may find yourself 6 ft. under.

Also, replace the rubber brake hoses with new rubber ones when you purchase it, and every 10 years or so thereafter.

Avoid the bling boyz metal jacketed hoses - they cannot be checked by squeezing; have had high failure rates, and if used - say on a race vehicle - must be replaced every year.
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have been chumped. best to just ship it to me and avoid any and all future headaches. nice score!!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good buy. How could you have shipped anything to your island for less?????

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvoCyclist wrote:
Then go camp!

Ha Ha ! Pahoa IS camping!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no one wanted to give you a ballpark price on it?
I'll give it a go.
If it was double the price it would be a great deal.
If it was triple the price, everyone would still be saying you got a good deal.
If it was four times the price, folks would still be saying "nice van for the price".
If it was five times, someone would say it should've come with better tires than those old whitewalls, and the interior in, carpet up front...
The body and paint look great, just needs a little compound and buffing up, and it'll be sweet.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
manofadventure1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice! I will listen to each and every one of you! Jeff.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot did a very nice cabinet rebuild better utilizing the cabinet space yet still looking proper. I think it was on his personal site, worth tracking down.
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
congrats!

on any newly purchased used vehicle ALWAYS flush out all the old brake fluid and refill with a DOT 4 or 4-200 fluid; pressure bleed the system

if you have a hydraulic clutch do that too

Do it every 2-3 years no matter if it is only driven 6 feet - else you may find yourself 6 ft. under.

Also, replace the rubber brake hoses with new rubber ones when you purchase it, and every 10 years or so thereafter.

Avoid the bling boyz metal jacketed hoses - they cannot be checked by squeezing; have had high failure rates, and if used - say on a race vehicle - must be replaced every year.

I can't remember hearing anything about failing brake lines (Fuel lines yes). Now you got me paranoid, I never looked at them that close.
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Vanagon Westy Camper-was it a good deal? Reply with quote

manofadventure1956 wrote:
I can't find anything on what my vehicle is worth, maybe you guys can help. 3 weeks ago I bought a 1984 Vanagon Westfalia full camper here on the Big Island of Hawaii. Well, almost full-camper... termites had gotten into the cabinetry, and all of the interior cabinets had to go. All appliances were saved, and now I plan on rebuilding the cabinetry to suit my style. I just wanted to know if you think I got a good deal. 93,000 original miles (Carfax proven); New tires, brakes, water pump, radiator, rear axle. The old automatic was taken out, and a 4-speed manual and new clutch and proper sized axles installed. All done by the owner, who is a mechanic, and had full receipts for all new parts. The van has no leaks anywhere, and doesn't seem to burn any oil. I've put about 300 miles on her, and the engine sounds magnificent. Some minor rust in the rear, which looks to be from a roof leak. I'll need a new camper canvas. I've changed the coolant just to be safe, per the Bentley manual. She runs right where the manuals say she should be, temperature-wise. I only paid $1500 for "Moonbeamer"! Any idea what she's worth? I've put some photos on the gallery page. Any advice on what I should do to get started, besides the oil and coolant changes I've already done? Thanks so much!

Did you replace your fuel lines yet?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Volksbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to Love the Assaun Brown!
67' Typ 1
96' Golf GL
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: what's it worth Reply with quote

Alloha: Checking all the similar westies in the "vehicle for sale" in thesamba classifieds will give you a good ballpark idea of the worth. Your insurance company will probably want an estimate of value from an appraisal service before you plate it. I paid $200. for mine fresh from a field and now have over $5000 invested...easy to do to make it safe.
Welcome and enjoy.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woggs1 wrote:
randywebb wrote:

I can't remember hearing anything about failing brake lines (Fuel lines yes). Now you got me paranoid, I never looked at them that close.

Someday you WILL be 6 feet under. And the more you worry about things that never happen to anyone, the SOONER that day will come.

I bet the risk of the car falling off the jack and pinning you are 10X higher than an actual brake line problem. Or making a mistake and causing brake failure by disturbing them every 2-3 years.

The Fuel line problem is REAL. Plenty of time to escape it though so it's not a 6 feet-under issue, but it is a loss.

My assessment of a good running '84 westy that needs all new cabinets is ~$2500. I bet a set of nice cabinets could be had for $500, if you were here on the mainland..... That and a new canvas, and some Meguire's polishing wax and you will have a very nice $6000 westy.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common thing to do on old sports cars. Some have an unfortunate tendency to use the metal jacketed hose "'cuz the reasl racers do it!" -- but that is a bad idea if you are not going to replace every year ("like the real racers do").

I DO hope I make people paranoid about brakes. If the Van catches on fire, you have a good chance of jumping out and surviving.

Not so if there is a catastrophic brake failure.

AND don't forget - tires are only good for about 5-6 years no matter how much tread is left.

woggs1 wrote:
randywebb wrote:

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body looks pretty good from what I could see of it. Unless someone has been spraying paint over the rust, it looks to have been cared for. I've seen some of those Hawaii vans that were nothing but rust lace.

Give it a good fresh water cleaning regularly, maybe even some of that "salt-away" stuff and enjoy!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: