Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Felt Ring Retainer - does it exist?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original part # for the felt ring is 021-105-211. From looking at the original parts book for the 411/412 last night.....and from the notes from mt little black book I keep on my 412.....the felt ring came as a kit in a plastic baggy along with the steel retaining ring.

I'll see if any of my connections still has them in kit form in a baggy with the retaining ring. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray has thickened the plot. The felt ring we bought came from VW and came in a manila envelope.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never seen a retaining ring...hmm, 914 part number is 021-119-159A too and no retaining ring at the felt seal.

021-119-159A comes up as a Thermostat
Tcash

87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Here is a little better example:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is exactly what I found during my 1800 rebuild.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the part. I have found them even a little thinner.

What I have done...is glue the felt ring into the metal insert...done.

Look really closely. See how that "ring" ...MIGHT...resemble the metal cup of a small shaft seal after you tear the lips out and sand away most of teh rubber covering on it? I made a very nice felt retaining ring that way a few years ago. I'll see if my little black book has the seal # I used in it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK -- now what do I do? I drove my ring out (see the prior pic) but I think it was pretty shot, that's why I thought it was the remains of the bearing. The felt ring from Bus Depot (as Ratwell states) I got was 111 105 311 vs. 021 105 311. Is there a difference? The one from BD too large to go in the flywheel hole so I don't see what the retainer would do unless the proper part is much smaller, which I doubt because there wouldn't much material between the I.D. which is correct for the O.D. of the input shaft, and the O.D. Do I need to obatain a retainer? How about the felt?

Dirk
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the felt, buy the Diesel pilot bearing and make the minor mods needed to install it.
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Forget the felt, buy the Diesel pilot bearing and make the minor mods needed to install it.

I think that may be over-reacting. I just haven't seen that there is a probelm with the stock bearing.

I've probably logged over a million miles in air cooled VWs and have never lost a pilot bearing. But I have always replaced them whenever clutch disk wears out and given them a generous helping of good grease.

Also my daddy taught me to never sit with my foot on the clutch pedal.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josh wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I think that may be over-reacting. I just haven't seen that there is a probelm with the stock bearing.

I've probably logged over a million miles in air cooled VWs and have never lost a pilot bearing. But I have always replaced them whenever clutch disk wears out and given them a generous helping of good grease.

Also my daddy taught me to never sit with my foot on the clutch pedal.

I would say that 3/4 of the transmission input shafts that I have seen over the last 10 years show signs of pilot bearing failure, so a lot of people are having failures. I don't view using the Diesel pilot bearing as over reacting at all, just lessening the chance of seeing an all to common problem.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot more of pilot bearing failure on other peoples vehicles than you would think there should be for such a simple part. It really only fails for one of three reasons.

(1) Improper greasing or improper grease. Meaning not enough grease in the first place and/or using grease without a high enough drop point in a hot running engine. The grease melts and runs out. This is usually the culprit of a screwed up clutch as well....with a big grease spot.

(2) Dust from the clutch getting into the grease due to not having a felt ring and running for a long time between having the engine out and cleaning out the old grease and grit

(3) having improper drivetrain alignment with too much flexing of the bell housing. This is actually very common. People who tend to drive with no rear hanger bar or bad hanger bar or body bushings...transfer flex to the case. It onoy takes a few thousandths of misalignment to the main shaft to screw up a needle bearing and grind into theshaft end.

So....and you think I would know this. What is the Diesel version of the bearing? Is that the solid bronze bushing? That would be smart actually. I se no need whatsoever tp have a needle bearing in this position.

In fact I could replace that needle with a Torlon bushing and you would never have to worry about it again. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A Torlon would probably work great as well. Let us know if you are having any made.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?...a felt ring or wiper ring inside of the bearing? cool! Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?...a felt ring or wiper ring inside of the bearing? cool! Ray

The only negative with this bearing as I see it is that the bore in the flywheel needs to be clearanced slightly as the bearing will protrude from the crank a little.

I have to admit that I have not tried this yet, but will when I put the engine back in the 78 Riviera I have apart right now.
Vamstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW...I spoke to a rather reliable VW shop and they mentioned that they don't use the felt washer. They gave a "never done it and never had problems" reason for not installing it. Think

My needle bearing had a bunch of dust (rusty colored) all over it when I split the engine from the trans. The needles were no longer in the carrier but, didn't look destroyed mechanically. I am thinking that I broke the needle bearing when I split the engine from the trans but, who knows.

All I know is that I didn't have the felt and the needle bearing did have considerable contamination from the dust.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of shops that intentionally run the bearings dry so they don't collect dust. I have had people tell me that this grease or that will fix the problem, or that using or not using the felt will. In other words nothing works most of the time for most people.
tardfarmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this felt ring apply to my '71 bus, stock motor and trans? Does that bearing pictured above go in the gland nut? Just some questions i've had for long time. Thanks
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a stock OE type gland nut has the felt ring (and steel retainer ring) built into the nut.
tardfarmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna have to have a closer look at mine. It's installed but the motors out. It's funny, I ordered that bearing pictured above because It said it pertained to my make and model. Now I have two of them and no idea where it goes! I have the right engine, do they indeed go in my gland nut? (might never say that again ! Laughing ),thanks for the reply.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the verdict- Hundreds of type 4's are rebuilt each year. There must be some consensus as to the need for this retainer. Most VW shops say it's NA.

Hmmm. Go through the pain in the ass it is to get the retainer Confused or forget it Rolling Eyes .

RB

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got some from the BusDepot thanks to the help from people here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: