Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just returned from about 8 months in Fresno California getting the full street chassis from David Barrett. This buggy had no holes ever drilled until David. So, maybe it is no longer NOS anymore. I am ready to find a good paint and body guy to fully finish the fiberglass, and powder coat my frame. I got fibersteel reproduction 550 porsche spyder seats with leather ready to go in. My engine is done, Tranny is new Rhino case, with quaife, and close gears. Wheels are not yet determined. I will be loading the Doka with buggy parts for the next few months carting buggy parts around.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sturgeongeneral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice cage going there. Looks like a good one!
My fiberglass car collection!

In honor of bowtie56jw:Another victim of the nasty "C" Praying for ya Jeff!

My exwife said if I towed home one more bug she would leave me. You know, every once in a while I miss her
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of his full tube chassis that he custom bends around the body. I like the way he ties it in to the frame horns in the back.

Is that a Manx 2? I see the battery well, but I don't see the spare tire well.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a manx 1. has the battery well and tire well. Came with the plastic dash, but I had David make a new Fiberglass one. This frame is super clean, the front beam is welded on, the rear horn supports are removable so the swing axle can slide in with axles attached. Steering column support is really strong.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
10ovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay,I saw your Manx last week when I met Dave for my Chassis in Phoenix AZ,,It looked real good,,Man he dose good work,,
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10over,

Wow, awesome. To tell you the actuall truth, David Dropped the buggy off at my Brother In Laws house in Dallas TX. I have to go pick it up from there still. Sooo, I have not seen it yet in person. I was picking up my 1990 Vanagon Double Cab from Allentown PA, and could not reschedule. Then this week I am on vacation on CLW beach with the family, and next week off to Chicago through July 8th, and to Beaver Creak Colorad from July 18th through 23. So, I am not totally sure when I will grab it. I am super tight on time this month.

Thanks for the shout out.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Updates?

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a slow poke! I just got a 1500 square foot shop over the summer, so the Doka, Single Cab, and Manx have a new home. I spend most the summer working on the shop, and not in the shop. That said, It now rolls and I am trial fitting wheels at the moment. I am doing the west coast chopper thing and building it now, and then tearing down for paint. I will not likely be done this year. Hoping to make it by spring. My build is ever changing so I am no sure on color or wheels or engine anymore. Some days I say Blue paint, black frame, gold wheels. Then I look at old Porsche's and want to go silver like an old 550 spyder.

Thanks for Interest.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Kool!! I like that chassis from Berrett! Im ordering one as well. But not like what Ur is. Just the chassis. I will post a build thread soon.

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a min! any updates?
Thanks

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a slow poke turd! I have been tinkering on it and I am so close to getting it ready for paint. I have a guy renting space from me at my shop who likes the buggy and is trying hard to kick start me to finish it up. I have the engine done, transmission parts collected, wheels and tires etc. I have been stuck on the steering column position and once I weld that I am done with the frame.
I check the samba every day, but my Vanagon has been taking all of my time away.
Thanks for asking
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deh Shark
I just looked at your pictures, nice buggy. Those are some awesome rear tires how they tuck in so nice. I like your style for sure.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot. Im ready to go to the shop for some prepping to paint. I got a thread on my Manx. David did a awesome job on my chassis. He narrowed the rear torsion 3 inches also the front end. David also.. Raise the torsion 3 inches as well.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565896

But yours should be coming along nicely. Keep @ it while you can. I know the feeling. lol

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body Reply with quote

5 years passes and I have made very little progress, but I am buying stuff and setting a goal to finish this soon. Here is the recent pickup. I had the wheels built by the dude on the Samba Classifieds 15x10 with 6" back spacing and front stock 14" thing wheels. Hub Caps are German OEM from Classic Parts that arrived in bare metal so I had all of it powder coated Porsche silver custom color. Thanks Blast Services in Clearwater.

Got a new Steering box at BugJam and Tranny is in the Jig being assembled.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
Deh Shark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body Reply with quote

Good stuff... Bout time! Very Happy

55 3 fold Ragtop
Manx Dune buggy 2387cc
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body Reply with quote

Tires are Mounted now. This weekend will mount them and mock up my suspension. These rims are 6" back spacing. Stock centers welded on 10" hoops. I have 68 Swing Axle Tubes with the long castings, and Thing Drums. I am hoping to mount Type 3 drums instead, but my testing was all done on Thing drums that are a little wider than the Type 3. My fingers are crossed. Worse case I keep thing drums.

1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body Reply with quote

Wheels and tires look great, can't wait to see them mounted. What are the specs on the tires?
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body Reply with quote

205-70-14 front
275-60-15 rear

Mock up this weekend. I will put the engine in also so I can set the spring plates and ride height. I want it to be a little lower than stock, but not slammed. Fill the wheel wells but with some travel. We will see. I can do stock height if needed.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
205-70-14 front
275-60-15 rear

Mock up this weekend. I will put the engine in also so I can set the spring plates and ride height. I want it to be a little lower than stock, but not slammed. Fill the wheel wells but with some travel. We will see. I can do stock height if needed.

You are going to like the way it looks. I'm running the same setup, except my fronts are 205 15s. It's gonna look sweet with the wide smoothies and old-school caps.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Florida Manx is finally started. N.O.S. Meyers Manx Body Reply with quote

Got them mounted and set the torsion bars. Seems good to me. Nothing is hitting and I have over 1" in the rear of clearance to the snubbers. Now I have to work on steering coupler. For some reason my steering shaft does not line up, so I will need a U joint. It is really hard to know what order to work on things. I am going to stick to it.

1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
2011 Porsche Cayenne
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: