Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater cable assembly order - UPDATED PHOTOS
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg in GA wrote:
Dang, is there a source for these pieces other than a donor?

busdaddy wrote:
you are missing the plastic clip that snaps into the holder on the body as well as the boot and small nylon sleeve that pushes into the end.
Remove the cable from the tube and slide both a flat washer and small hose clamp over it. Now reinsert the cable. You can now adjust the "length" of the cable by how you position the hose clamp.

If your cable is old and sticky, you can also cut the shield with a dremel so that the cut is about 6" into the front of the tube and then unwrap and remove the remaining sheath, the cable will work much easier.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Server is permanently off. I can't edit old posts and Everett hasn't gotten back to me yet whether he can take the photos from me on a DVD in the same file structure and write a scrip that will change Kentcomputer.com to whatever structure he puts the photos in. sorry.

Link

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to visualize this....will the hose clamp keep the cable from being slide further into the tube?

Wildthings wrote:
Greg in GA wrote:

busdaddy wrote:
you are missing the plastic clip that snaps into the holder on the body as well as the boot and small nylon sleeve that pushes into the end.
Remove the cable from the tube and slide both a flat washer and small hose clamp over it. Now reinsert the cable. You can now adjust the "length" of the cable by how you position the hose clamp.

If your cable is old and sticky, you can also cut the shield with a dremel so that the cut is about 6" into the front of the tube and then unwrap and remove the remaining sheath, the cable will work much easier.

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg in GA wrote:
I'm trying to visualize this....will the hose clamp keep the cable from being slide further into the tube?

Wildthings wrote:
Greg in GA wrote:

busdaddy wrote:

Yes, it serves as an adjustment to make up for the missing positioner in the rear, I ran my first bus this way for may years as most of the heater doo dads were missing when I bought it.

For a boot to fit the rear of the tube check with your local bicycle and motorcycle shops.
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable assembly order - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I posted on this a while back and didn't get an answer. Can't locate that thread so thought I would ask again another way. 1977 bus heater cable question

There is a rubber boot at the back where the plastic fits to the tube. Anyone know of a source. Right now am using electricians tape.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a white small nylon / plastic piece that slides over the cable inside this area. The pictorials show it on the bellows side of the arrow but when it came apart it was on the tube side with the hat facing away from the tube and the small end stuck into the tube. Which is correct, the pictorial or the way it was?

The front end is exposed to moisture. Is there supposed to be a boot at this end? If yes can someone show me a part number or where to get it? Electricians tape? Silicone sealer to keep moisture out?

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find any of the parts to cover up the ends. WW only sells an old style grommet to keep the water out of the tube. I made things work with what I could find as I had to replace the entire tube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Heater cable assembly order - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

I had the same questions as SGKent when I went to redo the cables in a 78 Westy. Figuring this older thread could use a conclusion, here is what came of my investigations...

I could not be sure that it was all assembled correctly so I "consulted" my unmolested almost rust free 78 Riviera for the order of everything. I came back inside and then assembled the 78 Westy pieces in the order I found them to be in the Riv. First to be put on are the tube end bushings(the little white piece with the split in it). SG Kent was right when he said it "looks like it fits inside the metal tube". It pushes into the metal tube and allows just the wire to come out. The black cable jacket is now contained(stoppered?) inside the tube

Next you can put the bigger plastic tube end cap over the metal tube when the tube is going "thru" the bracket's outboard hole. The bracket edge will fit into one of the grooves near the tapered end of the plastic part, but probably only on the top or bottom, depending on the way the metal tube is bent relative to the bracket

The clip shown in SGKent's picture where he asks "Which groove?" does indeed probably use the next groove forward. It is put on the help keep the bigger plastic end cap from sliding off the end of the tube which in turn also helps keep the little white plastic bushing from coming out.

The bellows then go on the tapered end of the bigger plastic end cap

Here it is on the other side all assembled

So there you go. Hope it helps someone Smile Now I have to pull it apart and deal with the rust on that bracket, lol!!

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Heater cable assembly order - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

There is a rubber boot at the back where the plastic fits to the tube. Anyone know of a source. Right now am using electricians tape.

The front end is exposed to moisture. Is there supposed to be a boot at this end? If yes can someone show me a part number or where to get it? Electricians tape? Silicone sealer to keep moisture out?

I almost forgot…Yes, the absolute first boot to go on is the one pictured here, but mine like all them I have seen are usually split or rotted. IMO electrician's tape carefully applied would work fine.

Also IMO the forward end of the tube should be covered by the pedal pan and thus not need a boot. That way any moisture that gets in there can have an exit at the forward end and not just sit in there and eventually rust the tube and bind the cable sheath. Ugh!

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the photos. I will check my arrangement while the trans is out. Hope TCash marks this.

Also I moved my entire server to a webhosting outfit because so many people wanted to see those early photos.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience in reassembling/restoring these things is consistent with the photographs that VWDog posted, FWIW. These little parts are often missing, and are hard to find -- not possible to find new.

So, I can confirm that VWDog's assembly is correct, with one minor correction: The rear end of the accordion tube fits over a groove in the fitting at that end of the cable. The last photo showing the final assembly on the other side has it in that place. That way, the accordion tube moves with the cable (doing its accordion thing) rather than letting the cable slide against the rubber.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Microfiche/t205810.gif

thanks to jerseylooker
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/LateBaywindow/058-10-7-009.jpg

Put in
Tech Tips under HEATING & VENTILATION.

Thank you
Tcash
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Heater cable assembly order - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

Hello,
redoing my heater cables...I'm replacing the parts shown (at least the broken/rotted ones). Anyway for a '75 it looks like the cable can go in 2 places (see arrows). I put the tube end piece in the edge just for show. So should they hook up closer to the corner or near the edge?

Thanks

Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Heater cable assembly order - UPDATED PHOTOS Reply with quote

the position that provides the straitest shot to the heater lever?
question what year is the ratwell fiche shot for?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: