Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What now? (Rear end damage)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: What now? (Rear end damage) Reply with quote

My kid rear ended the van pulling into the drive last night. The GW swing away tire armature shattered the hatch glass on impact and bent the hatch all up. GW bumper anchored itself into the rear body on DS. No observable frame issues. All straight and normal. Engine bay is fine. Test drive (post cleanup) was smooth and normal. Have hagerty, and already started the search for a hatch replacement. Some questions for those who’ve dealt with this:
- file a claim now? Wait and assess? Any sequencing and experiences with the process would be great to hear.
- can a restoration body shop fix the door and back body mess? If not, is a new(old) hatch door as elusive to find as it appears?
- any other thoughts welcome
Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Hagerty is great to work with and (in my experience) stupidity is a covered peril (again, mine).

I would open a claim now and be guided by their instructions, confident that if unknowns arise they've got your back.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

PS - maybe you don't want to show them photos taken in that tent structure. I think they'll be expecting the van to be in a locked garage and perhaps best not to open a can of worms about storage.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

I would just get another hatch & massage out the LH rear side panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Awahnee. Good to know about the temp shelter.
Tjet - that was my initial thought, but seems like a hatch door is tough to source. Not much concerned about color match (although finding a flash silver metallic version would be ideal). But in general seems pretty limited for inventory out there. Can a body shop fix it? The proper way.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

a new hatch and some bodywork will make that right without too much pain.

just remember to go easy on the kid. what you say now, your reaction, and ability to resolve this can be a teaching moment for the rest of their life or a wedge between you and them. everything is temporary. i sure made my share of mistakes and my father's reaction sticks with me more than than the damage.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
PS - maybe you don't want to show them photos taken in that tent structure. I think they'll be expecting the van to be in a locked garage and perhaps best not to open a can of worms about storage.

very good call. i also have had great experiences with Hagerty dealing with a total loss, and they did a decent job taking care of things. where you at ? if youre near the beetle shop in belfast you could have him check it out.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
a new hatch and some bodywork will make that right without too much pain.

just remember to go easy on the kid. what you say now, your reaction, and ability to resolve this can be a teaching moment for the rest of their life or a wedge between you and them. everything is temporary. i sure made my share of mistakes and my father's reaction sticks with me more than than the damage.

Totally agree. I’ve been a bit quiet the past day, and not looking to make it worse.. Stuff happens and I can’t really be angry with him. Young driver. Bigtime bummer though. Just another thing I gotta deal with in an already packed day.
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

very good call. i also have had great experiences with Hagerty dealing with a total loss, and they did a decent job taking care of things. where you at ? if youre near the beetle shop in belfast you could have him check it out.

I’m in southern Maine. Know the Beetle Shop. I’ll give em a buzz tomorrow. FAS just did a bunch of work this fall, but not sure they have much inventory in the way of body parts. Maybe worth a call though. I reached out to another so Maine sambanaut selling an 87 syncro, cuz I saw a bush van in the background of my he advert pic that looked like a potential fit. Haven’t heard back from him. Good deal on a crusty, albeit solid looking tintop though!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Interesting insurance situation. Does your kid live with you? Is he/she on his own policy? Does the kid own his car? I’m guessing the kid is not insured through Hagerty.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Is the GW bumper bent? It must be to damage the body like that. How hard was the hit?
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

I'm with LMW, that bumper doesn't look too bent up... If it's still fairly straight and it dug into the corner that deep, either the mounting bracket is hopefully bent or the frame rail it attaches to should get a closer look... good luck!

Hans
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Perhaps, just fer shits and giggles,, what about removing the hatch, give it to the kid, and send him to Votec bodyshop class to beat it back into shape? Then he can work on the rest of the body damage?
AND! You go to Votec body shop class with him to help and supervise?
He gets a skill, you get a fix, so much benefit for all parties involved.

Or, do high schools still have body shop/auto repair classes? Try that?

Seriously, is it a "show" vehicle? I understand the idea of having a little bit of cosmetic appeal, but, to what extent? A few dings and scrapes will likely give you an edge in heavy rush hr traffic. When ya wanna merge, do it in front of a mercades/bmw/audi. They Will avoid you..
NOT a Hyundai/Kia.
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Interesting insurance situation. Does your kid live with you? Is he/she on his own policy? Does the kid own his car? I’m guessing the kid is not insured through Hagerty.

It is a weird insurance situation. Part of my quandary right now. He’s on our ‘family’ car insurance plan - which is what he was driving. Not on the van insurance. Yes, currently a dependent. I suspect it would have been a simpler decision if it were a stranger, with the accident occurring on the public realm.
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Is the GW bumper bent? It must be to damage the body like that. How hard was the hit?

Pretty hard hit. I suspect from observation that the steel connector bar between the attachment point to the frame and bumper steel compressed. Hard to tell being sandwiched like it is though. Wife and I heard the impact from inside. That was a fun moment Sad
dmaynes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

do.dah wrote:
Perhaps, just fer shits and giggles,, what about removing the hatch, give it to the kid, and send him to Votec bodyshop class to beat it back into shape? Then he can work on the rest of the body damage?
AND! You go to Votec body shop class with him to help and supervise?
He gets a skill, you get a fix, so much benefit for all parties involved.

Or, do high schools still have body shop/auto repair classes? Try that?

Seriously, is it a "show" vehicle? I understand the idea of having a little bit of cosmetic appeal, but, to what extent? A few dings and scrapes will likely give you an edge in heavy rush hr traffic. When ya wanna merge, do it in front of a mercades/bmw/audi. They Will avoid you..
NOT a Hyundai/Kia.

Ha! That’s a great idea!! I wish.
Don’t much mind dings and dents…not a big deal to me. Van already has a nice collection of beauty marks. If I could find a replacement hatch, that would be fine with me. The boy already offered to replace the $1000 GW steel bumper. Problem solved. He def feels bad Sad
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

My spouse and very good friends deal with insurance claims on a high level. Though it’s the injury side of auto claims. Some have worked on the collision side in years past. This is still a unique situation. If you have any questions you want me to ask or things you are curious about. Let me know.

I’m curious if Hagerty goes after your “everyday” insurance company to recoup any loss. Here’s the thing. You probably need to inform both insurance companies by their policy requirements. Also some states may require you to report it to the state Department of motor vehicles if the damage is over a certain amount. Like Oregon (Damage over $2500) Do people do this every accident. No. Your state may have different laws then others. Not trying to spook you. Just things to consider and research.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

I have a story to tell too...

Same OUCH ! ! ! - same color? ... 1990 tintop 3 knobs Syncro

Parked at Home Depot for shopping, about 3 weeks ago... When I got out and saw this... No note on windshield, Home Depot doesn't have video on that section. The insurance told us to bring it to a body shop for an estimate and send the pictures to them. Estimated from insurance about $2.5K. I went back to the body shop to get it fixed and the body shop said NO... the van is too old... So I have to look for another body shop... Well they don't know the van worth more than any 2015+ Japanese car.. ugggh ! ! !

Note: I'd think replacing the rear hatch will be easier and cheaper if you provide the hatch.

space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

I thought most insurance companies cover the car, regardless of the driver?
ie the car insurance covers the driver, and his/her actions, as long as the car is insured and permission was given

Mine does
T
Rear discs
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: What now? Reply with quote

Maybe John's VW place in Vermont will have your good used Rear Hatch- He's been on the Classified Section recently with more ADs. Think

Contact info from one of his ADs. At least he's closer than the California suppliers to you since he's in Vermont.... Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1585564
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: