Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Chatter
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Clutch Chatter Reply with quote

I think I may be experiencing some "clutch chatter". When I start off (engine warming up) doesnt seem to be a problem, theres a smooth engagement. But after its warmed up, when I start off in first I get som shaking in the engine (not backfiring) it feels like Im going over tiny indentions in the pavement and it rattles a bit. I only get this in first gear starting off, all other gears its smooth sailing. Is this clutch chatter and how do I get rid of it?
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that sounds like clutch chatter.

Step One: adjust the clutch pedal free-play to spec.
Step Two: inspect and/or adjust the bowden tube.

If no cure, you'll probably need to remove the clutch.
Inspect the disc and mating surfaces for
wear, slippage or oil contamination.

Replace and/or repair as needed.

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SurfDestin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter Reply with quote

New to Ghia this week. I have this issue being described shakes something awful taking off. Mounts seem good.

Looking at this photo of mine, can anyone say if this looks like the proper amount of bend in the Bowden Tube?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter Reply with quote

SurfDestin wrote:
Looking at this photo of mine, can anyone say if this looks like the proper amount of bend in the Bowden Tube?

Looks about right...should be about 3/4" to 1" sag. Oil on the clutch disc is a common cause of clutch chatter when everything is adjusted properly and mounts are good.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
SurfDestin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter Reply with quote

I'm new to Air-Cooled Engines. Where would you suspect oil might come from if that is the issue. Main bearing assuming it has one, or from transmission side. Asking so I know what to look for once I tear it down.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter Reply with quote

SurfDestin wrote:
I'm new to Air-Cooled Engines. Where would you suspect oil might come from if that is the issue. Main bearing assuming it has one, or from transmission side. Asking so I know what to look for once I tear it down.

There are really only two (well three actually) sources of oil in the bell housing that can get on the clutch.

1) Leaky FRONT main engine seal allowing engine oil to get past and foul clutch disc.

2) Leaky transmission input shaft seal allowing gear oil to get past and foul clutch disc.

3) If you really smoked your throwout bearing and caused the grease inside to liquify it can and will come out and fling around oil in there. But the bearing would be noisy AF if this was the case.

#1 is usually pretty easy to spot without pulling the engine, as it will drip out onto the ground from the seam where the engine and transmission mate. You will notice there is a little cutout there in the engine case to allow any oil to drip out.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Chatter Reply with quote

Quote:
Mounts seem good

Been there, done that...replace the front mount. Looks can be deceiving.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: