Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Addco Sway Bars: F-719 & R-488
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my Addco 719 on Saturday. Took two weeks from the factory, but a good price - $164 including shipping. Opened the hardware kit up and I didn't receive any nylocks for the bolts. Anyone know the size and pitch? I was going to buy nuts today, but forgot the bolt.

Paul
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally got my Addco sway bars in 1988 from JC Whitney. It looks like almost the same kit that I got back then, not much changed at all except the color of the bar (mine was silver) and some of the the bushings on the rear bolts. I think I paid $113 for both bars.

I have never heard any rattles from mine, and the only problem I ever had was once, down in Baja, I pulled off the road and there was a real drop to the shoulder and the van really rocked. After that it really handled badly. It turns out that the severe rocking was hard enough to drive the stabilizer link upper washer up the stabilizer link shaft effectively eliminating sway bar. It forced the washer up over the ridge in the stabilizer link. Needless to say, it was a long trip back to Salt Lake City without a front sway bar. When I got back I fixed it by replacing the washers with some really heavy duty Ford F150 washers and urathane grommets. Never had any problem since.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Pros and cons of a rear sway bar on the van?
Any imminent handling dangers with NO rear sway bar?

Front sway bar (or simply more front roll stifness) increases understeer. More rear roll stiffness increases oversteer. For most drivers, a bit more understeer is desirable as opposed to oversteer - i.e., easier to control.

I can't comment on the van, because I don;t know the the amount of the effect of just a front bar. Early front wheel drive cars when pushed hard tended to understeer badly - so on these it was common to add just a rear bar (or increase the size of the rear bar). Of course, the early Rabbit (Dasher, Scirocco, etc) would then lift a rear wheel high off the ground in an autocross (ask me how I know).

In general if you car's handling is balanced, you want to increase front and rear roll stiffness by ~equal amounts. OK, I guess I wasn't much help here Laughing

John
joet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the install of the front Addco swaybar, new Fastwagens endlinks, and Powerflex bushings. I upgraded the bar to frame hardware with grade 8 bolts, nylock nuts and even exchanged the addco supplied washers with grade 8 ones.

WOW, the van handles so much better than before. Usually a turn (any radius) at any speed resulted in considerable lean (the kids these days would call it dipping). Now the van is rock steady even on tight turns at speed--great news for my wife who was always scared the van would flip.
I also noticed that going over the large, wide speed bumps in my neighborhood, which previously caused the van to woomp over with a creaking noise up front toward the end of the shock compression, now the up/down motion is markedly reduced and the van is entirely silent. I can take the bumps at a more reasonable speed as well.

Picture of the bar and endlink. I'm still not sure that I tightened the large nylock nut to the right position when connecting the swaybar to the endlink eyelet. It seemed like any tighter and I was slightly deforming the bushing, but it certainly didn't feel like I had it at the recommended 45 ft/lbs torque as per addco directions??
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture of the bar to frame connection. I used the existing hole and drilled a new one just inside the slot where the previous bracket connected to the frame. Pic taken before wiping off the excess silicone vacuum grease on the bushing.

Thanks to Loogy (T3Technique) for the Powerflex bushings and Darren (Fastwagens) for the new endlinks!
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeT, I am going to install my front addco this afternoon. I see you greased your bushings.

What type of grease did you use?

I thought I remember reading in the literature that grease was not necessary? But as long as it doesn't deteriorate the bushings, I think greasing is a good idea.

Paul
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
JoeT, I am going to install my front addco this afternoon. I see you greased your bushings.

I thought I remember reading in the literature that grease was not necessary? But as long as it doesn't deteriorate the bushings, I think greasing is a good idea.

Paul

I asked loogy about this, he suggested the steering rack and anti-roll bar lower endlink bushings are the only ones that do not require grease.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
joet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Franklinstower wrote:

Paul

I asked loogy about this, he suggested the steering rack and anti-roll bar lower endlink bushings are the only ones that do not require grease.

The Powerflex bushings came with a small packet of grease so I used it on them. I used silicone vacuum grease on the bushings that came with the aadco bar, not really sure why though. if I notice anything good or bad ill report back.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my front addco installed, and as stated by JoeT, the angle of the endlink when tightened down to the sway bar is way more than what I would like to see. Is there any reason why I shouldn't add a 3/8 - to 1/2 spacer between the endlink and eye of the swaybar? This would cause the endlink to be more perpendicular and less stress on the endlink bushing. I think I will make spacers out of some black UHMW.

Paul
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
I got my front addco installed, and as stated by JoeT, the angle of the endlink when tightened down to the sway bar is way more than what I would like to see. Is there any reason why I shouldn't add a 3/8 - to 1/2 spacer between the endlink and eye of the swaybar? This would cause the endlink to be more perpendicular and less stress on the endlink bushing. I think I will make spacers out of some black UHMW.

Paul

Would having drop links with a slight angle to them help the situation??
Kinda like the late Syncro links.
I am curious.
I am going to be building my 91 Carat Wolf and will have Darren at Fastwagens make up a bent set just for this application if you feel it would work well.
I think I understand what you are describing, but as always a picture really makes it clear.

dylan
jetpoweredmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed my front Addco bar and had the same issue with the end links being at a wonky angle to the swaybar. It seems like the bar needs to be about another 1" or 1.5" eye to eye. I stacked some more washers in between the link and the bar and it's better, but now the bolt threads are going to be riding in the eye of the swaybar, because the shank has been spaced to the outside. Not so good. I think a longer bolt, with a longer shank, might be the solution.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetpoweredmonkey wrote:
I just installed my front Addco bar and had the same issue with the end links being at a wonky angle to the swaybar. It seems like the bar needs to be about another 1" or 1.5" eye to eye. I stacked some more washers in between the link and the bar and it's better, but now the bolt threads are going to be riding in the eye of the swaybar, because the shank has been spaced to the outside. Not so good. I think a longer bolt, with a longer shank, might be the solution.

I added 1/2" uhmw spacers on both sides:

That helped with the angle, but 3/4" on each side would have fit better on mine.

Paul
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discoved this same problem with the end link angle.
Also note the hole in the sway bar is larger then the bolt.
My solution was to add a nut instead of spacer. The nut acts as a spacer, then I locked the sway bay between the two nuts......no more front end bump noise.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice addition!
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed my Addco sway bar on the front, and as others reported, the handling is much firmer, with not too much increase in ride harshness.

However, my sway bar end links look like originals (1987/345K miles) and are all rusted up at the bottom. I put them back in but would like to upgrade.

Rather than just replacing them, what about knocking off the washer and sleeve, then welding a piece of pipe to fit over the rod as a strengthener? It seems like that would give you more strength over the OEM. Then just add new washers/bushings to the bottom.

VC has the washers for Syncros in stock but I'm not sure they too couldn't be made from hardware store washers. Do they have to have that lip?

The sleeve could be fabricated without too much trouble too.

Kind of thinking out loud here but anybody done any of this?
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: New Parts Source? Reply with quote

Is there a new vendor recommendation for this sway-bar?

Looks like Shox doesn't carry Addco bars.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Source? Reply with quote

rotaecho wrote:
Is there a new vendor recommendation for this sway-bar?

Looks like Shox doesn't carry Addco bars.

Thanks!

When I ordered mine several years ago, I just googled "Addco 719" and looked for a place that would take the order.
Amazon currently lists it as "available" but SummitRacing says "unavailable".. Addco may be in-between production runs.
(Amazon lists it for $260 with free shipping.. which is a fair bit more than what I remember paying.)

The product is typically drop shipped.. and has taken anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks and longer for some owners.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you addco sway bar owners out there, how are they holding up.
i'm currently fitting them to a customers van, i must say i am not impressed with the quality of the product or the fittings supplied with the kit.
i have contacted addco, and am awaiting their response on the matter.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jetpoweredmonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine works fine and provided a noticeable benefit to handling. There's nothing wrong with the bar itself. The mounting bushings are crummy as is the hardware to mount the end links.

If I remember right, I ended up replacing the provided bolts with a longer one. The end link bushing now rides on the shouldered area of the bolt. A jam nut on one side of the bar and nylock on the other secure the bolt to the bar, and those big washers make sure the end link stays on. Maybe not ideal having a bending force acting on the threaded part of the bolt - but so far so good. Recently I replaced the mount bushings and brackets with greasable urethane ones from ebay, those are working fine.

I have not seen the front bar setup from T3 Technique and probably won't buy one because the bar diameter is the same as my Addco. But if given the choice for someone who doesn't already have a bar, there's little doubt that the T3 bar is the one to get.

Here's what mine looks like.

j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
so you addco sway bar owners out there, how are they holding up.
i'm currently fitting them to a customers van, i must say i am not impressed with the quality of the product or the fittings supplied with the kit.
i have contacted addco, and am awaiting their response on the matter.

Its well known that the mounting hardware for the front bar is junk. The tabs won't stay put. The two bolt mount is necessary.
I swapped in Energy Suspension brackets and 1" bushings and the front has worked flawlessly in 1000s of miles of hard driving.

The rear bar is a funky fit.. but it works.
The way the U-bolts are fitted in the cross member is kind of a "make something off the shelf work" type of solution. But mine has been installed for a couple yrs now.. and no problems.
The rear bushing hanger at the swing-arm is longer than it needs to be.. You could likely go with three of the bushings instead of the four and cut down the bolt a bit.

I would not go back to no rear bar. And the 1" bar in front remains one of my best bang-for-buck improvements.. Sure they need to some futzing to make work well.. but once done? You get a FAR better ride.

Mine have worked great for several thousand miles and I would not remove them unless a better product came available that included quick disconnects.

FWIW.. I doubt Addco will have much to say.. I doubt their Vanagon sales are in quantities that warrant redesign of the mounting hardware.. My guess is they just sell the bar and they'll tell you to use the two bolt hanger.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought an extra nut for either side, the angle it would sit at with it installed, nasty, i don't feel it's a decent option, at best it could push the bushing out of the end link.
today i found a set of bronze bushings with a lip on them, 3/4" id 7/8"od, and they have a lip, so there is a shoulder for the washers to sit against.
i've only added at most 3/16" to the overall width, and some of that will be taken up by the rubber bushing.

i'm going to trim down the bronze to make it all tighter on the rubber.

jetpoweredmonkey wrote:
Mine works fine and provided a noticeable benefit to handling. There's nothing wrong with the bar itself. The mounting bushings are crummy as is the hardware to mount the end links.

If I remember right, I ended up replacing the provided bolts with a longer one. The end link bushing now rides on the shouldered area of the bolt. A jam nut on one side of the bar and nylock on the other secure the bolt to the bar, and those big washers make sure the end link stays on. Maybe not ideal having a bending force acting on the threaded part of the bolt - but so far so good. Recently I replaced the mount bushings and brackets with greasable urethane ones from ebay, those are working fine.

I have not seen the front bar setup from T3 Technique and probably won't buy one because the bar diameter is the same as my Addco. But if given the choice for someone who doesn't already have a bar, there's little doubt that the T3 bar is the one to get.

Here's what mine looks like.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: