Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phydous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

On this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=783976&highlight=clutch

Cusser wrote:

Cusser wrote:
People - this subject is just not that complicated !!!!

I'm still enough of a noob that unfortunately the clutch/transmission is still black magic. Hoping someone can help/direct me...

A couple of months ago I was driving my bug and something weird started happening. When I would shift into 4th gear, after the clutch was fully released, I would press on the accelerator and the engine would rev up but it was like the gears were not receiving the torque from the engine. Higher RPMs didn't result in more speed. I thought that maybe one of the gears in my transmission had popped loose so it would spin without transferring torque to the drive shaft. I pulled my engine, and my trans, and then I sent the transmission to Rancho to be rebuilt. While it's being serviced, I decided to determine if my clutch is bad too. (Last thing I want to do is reinstall everything and have the same issue.) So, long story short, is it possible to tell if a clutch is bad by looking at it?

The other question is, should I replace it anyway/regardless since the trans will be rebuilt? And if so, what would you all recommend as a replacement?

Thanks for your help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

There is a wear limit. I think it is 7mm. You will need to remove the pressure plate to get to the clutch disc. Take an open end 7mm wrench and see if it will go over the edge of the clutch disc. If so, get a new one. If not…depends. How much is your time worth? How soon do you want to remove the engine?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

A bus transmission eh, nice
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

No, you cannot tell the condition of the clutch without removing the pressure plate.

Remove the pressure plate & check the thickness of the clutch disc & see if it’s contaminated with oil.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Phydous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to order a new clutch kit since I have the engine out. Black Friday Jbugs got me. Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

Resurface the flywheel or you won't be happy.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

Yes, resurface flywheel and replace clutch, more then likely trans is/was ok, bus trans are pretty tough.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phydous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Resurface the flywheel or you won't be happy.

Thanks for the tip guys. I didn't even think of that...

Will definitely have that done while everything is apart.

Thank you!
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

Definitely resurface flywheel, a good machine shop will only remove what is necessary.

My friction plate was within thickness spec, but had slight grooves worn on both sides. I resurfaced the friction plate using 180 grit sandpaper on a sanding block, by hand using only slight pressure until surfaces were smooth.

For the pressure plate, I resurfaced on glass with 60 or 80 grit using a circular motion letting the weight of the pressure plate do the work, until completely smooth.

This resulted in a much smoother clutch than before, very pleased.

Don’t forget to inspect/replace clutch release bearing, and regrease/replace pilot bearing. Splines like a little grease too.

Check crank end play and reshim if necessary.
Inspect/ replace both the main seal and the flywheel oring seal.

Blue Loctite on gland nut threads, torque to spec.
Same for pressure plate to flywheel.

Good Luck
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

not sure which clutch disc you are going to use but here you can see the difference in them. The rigid type and the spring type. I prefer the rigit type as you can see the 8 rivits to transfer power/torque and the spring type only uses 3 rivits. I have had one of the springs fall out before. ps they are for sale too.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can you tell if a clutch is bad from a visual inspection? Reply with quote

Check the pressure plate that the fingers are all even and the surfaces are flat where they bear on the TO bearing surface. If not even, a spring is broken or weak, meaning PP replacement as well.

While out... check all these, as well as TO bearing and its mounting, and put a small gob of lube on the gland nut nearing. Not a bad idea to replace the main seal with a good new one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: