Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Oval today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

upwardr wrote:
Thanks Jimbo, took me a while to see it in the photos but I get it. My 54 is so bad in this area I would not have noticed.

Will try to make mine into a 54 style. I did receive a used shock tower area with package shelf attached and the shelf is different on my car. They must have changed the stamping sometime after 54 by about 5/8” in the rib stamping.

The change is most likely with the change from ribbed doors to the later doors. There was an extensive body change at that point. Obvious and subtle changes were made all around the car. The back seat area legroom was enlarged slightly at that point, it would make sense it might show on the inner rear fender.

Oh yeah -- I took the Oval out today and exercised the on/off switch (throttle.) Despite being in for a couple months it started easy and ran great. I kept thinking the engine died when I pushed the clutch in, but it is just really quiet at idle. The heat had me rolling the window part way down, but the whole point of a winter drive on a nice but cold day is to pump heat through everything to help keep any corrosion at bay. I really need to fix the wipers so I can drive it more often during the Seattle winter! One of those things about driving an oval -- once again I see some nut behind the wheel scrambling to get his phone out and take a picture while driving (hang up and drive please.)
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Started both of them..the end

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

I took my new acquired '57 oval, built for off road, up to Brown Canyon today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Began painting wheels today. Trying to do a budget restore on them. Cleaned inside of the wheels then blasted the wheel face. Used WW Silver White and attempted a L33 blue rim color. The car I have was beige, but has one respray of Horzon Blue. Putting 165/15 back on the car
Bruce

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Cleaned up 60+ years of grime from used tins. Next, I will cut the cylinder tins to accommodate the SG Zenith manifolds I'll be using on my WW/Okrasa build. Not very technical and doesn't require any specialized skills but there's something very rewarding about cleaning off tins and finding shiny black original paint!
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Finally got some 6v 21/5w tail light bulbs to replace the 18/5w bulbs that were in the car. Not a huge difference, but every little bit of tail light wattage helps!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Set up carb linkage today for the WW 1397 going into my 57 ragtop. Found some adjustable Unimog throttle levers that enabled me to connect to the CSP bellcrank. Its just roughed in for now but there's a good range of adjustability in the linkage arms and the bellcrank return spring works well enough to do away with the stock carb return springs.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Took my 56 out for a fill up and had to wait for over 1/2 hour to get across. First time the car has been on the road since I bought it in July 1999

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Let my old bugs out to graze with their younger siblings

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

^^^^^ Foul! Too many really nice cars. Cool Very Happy

Looks like you live close to LAX. That big ass plane in one of the images is a give away.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
kruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Killing Sunday boredom and playing with 3d scanner

'05 renault modus Smile a little gallic gay car
toXic rust
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Finally achieved what I thought was IMPOSSIBLE! My car is a Swedish delivery with a speedo in KM/H. The former U.S. registrations recorded the odometer reading as MILES instead of kilometers. After a bit of "squeaky wheel" perseverance, I successfully got the title switched from original MILES to original KILOMETERS with the DMV. The title actually reads "kilometers" now as exact mileage. Dancing

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Let my old bugs out to graze with their younger siblings

You have some nice cars

Turtlecar56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

I pulled out the nose as much as I could with what I have at my house. I’m going to chop off the nose this weekend and prep for putting the new one on. Also got the correct hood. Stripped and etched primed it.

donny273
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Big spring or smaller sring on 1956 type 1 deck lid? Looks like the smaller spring would fit better. Maybe they came with either? Thoughts?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

donny273 wrote:
Big spring or smaller sring on 1956 type 1 deck lid? Looks like the smaller spring would fit better. Maybe they came with either? Thoughts?

Small spring.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Hours of cleaning engine tin for my 55, paint semi gloss black.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Dropped engine off for complete rebuild at Daves in Anaheim, Went by automiester in Manhattan Beach for cooling fan replacement. Mike has been working on rear apron replacement...hes damn good.
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Created an auxiliary circuit board for my 57. Added relays to all the switched circuits and created new switched and unswitched circuits for future use. Everything tied into the original harness/switches without splicing into original harness (gotta love screw terminals!). Except for enlarging a previously drilled hole for a new ground, nothing was molested. The panel is velcro'd down and can be easily removed for future mods/restoration. And it actually works!
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Oval today? Reply with quote

Installed new carpeting in my 56. Decided to try V-dubs Upholstery. For the price I was happy with the quality and with some trimming, the fit!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 56 of 58

Jump to: