Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who works for the diplomatic corp.

mmmmm?
jaredmarcucci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

dreadnotmusic wrote:
jaredmarcucci wrote:
I am not "exactly" sure how it got into the USA (I have the basic story and documentation but not all 100% of the details / logistics of this vehicle) but it is here and I have a legal title as a 2001 VW kombi in my name.

Jeez, you sound pretty EXACT in your last post!

By "exactly" sure, I mean that I know the general gist of the history and the documentation of how the vehicle was imported but I do not know all the details like how exactly the governmental official got the bus approved or the process involved in getting the vehicle approved. I just know that he did get it approved. I mentioned that I do not know "exact" details because I am sure if I did know people would want to know how a government official would go about getting a vehicle approved for importation and that is the part I do not know the details or process. If I did I certainly would share the details with the Samba family.

I will take some more photos today.

Past VWs:
1978 Bay window champagne edition westy, 1978 bay window westy, 1986 Syncro hardtop, 1967 Hardtop camper, 1967 Kombi passenger splity, 1965 21, window, 1978 Sage Green Westy, 1984 Vanagon GL, 1972 Bay Window hardtop, 1992 Corrado SLC, 1997 Jetta
evanwilliams4u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos would be cool, especially of the interior. I think my shins would be hitting that low dash. It's neat to see how they kept the top half of the dash almost exactly the same as the originals though. Talk about incremental model-year changes!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

jaredmarcucci wrote:
By "exactly" sure, I mean that I know the general gist of the history and the documentation of how the vehicle was imported but I do not know all the details like how exactly the governmental official got the bus approved or the process involved in getting the vehicle approved. I just know that he did get it approved...

Of all the cars in the world to be governmentally loop-holed in, some "official" decides on a VW Bus Shocked Either that official was a pot-smokin', tie-dying, college hippie back in the day trying to capture a little of the glory-daze or...uhm...his wife made him buy it...? Laughing
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold and shiped mexican Beetles to the US. The late watercooled Brazilian Kombi is not a problem. If you want more information, just send me an email.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts

Last edited by Antonio Trejo on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaredmarcucci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: More pictures Reply with quote

Here are a few more pictures. You can see the dash and the AC controls, also I included a picture of the engine.

Past VWs:
1978 Bay window champagne edition westy, 1978 bay window westy, 1986 Syncro hardtop, 1967 Hardtop camper, 1967 Kombi passenger splity, 1965 21, window, 1978 Sage Green Westy, 1984 Vanagon GL, 1972 Bay Window hardtop, 1992 Corrado SLC, 1997 Jetta
iWANTBUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't understand why VW can't bring this bus into the US market. Air bags, door beams, etc would not be all that hard to add. Much about the design of these cars makes them inherently safer in a crash than other vehicles to start with, i.e. no engine up front, a vertical steering column, and the windshield far from your soft head. The later Bays built for the US market were tough and held their own in a crash very well, maybe there is some crash test regulation that you can't do but so much damage to another car when you hit it. Don't know.
HMBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting, this version have a very different dashboard and bumpers from the version we have here in brazil, also I think in the early 90's the production of these buses was in mexico, the model sold until 1997 here in brazil was different, with the 15 window split body, so I think they moved the production of this model to brazil in 97, but the buses of this model below 1997 are mexican made!?
jaredm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am soooo jealous. I want one!
play_it_leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: More pictures Reply with quote

jaredmarcucci wrote:
also I included a picture of the engine.

I don't know man, looks like you might have some issues. The PO was running that bus with out the engine seal.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:
I have sold and shiped mexican Beetles to the US. The late watercooled Brazilian Kombi is not a problem. If you want more information, just send me an email.
[

is this guy for real i remember in the other threads someone said this dude could possiably do it as he also imports the new mexican long block into teh us as well.... can anyone confirm? i may just have to sell my jeep and buy a plane ticket down there.
fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theizzardking wrote:
Antonio Trejo wrote:
[

is this guy for real i remember in the other threads someone said this dude could possiably do it as he also imports the new mexican long block into teh us as well.... can anyone confirm? i may just have to sell my jeep and buy a plane ticket down there.

I don't know..... but Antonio has come through for me on several parts.......... he is the one i got my grill's from and a couple of other items .... very nice to do business with.... Smile

I'd love to have one of those factory watercooled bus's , lower it and do a W8 Vw conversion..... Wow that would be sweet.......... with a full camper package too..... Cool

Paul

1973 Type181 Kubelwagen (Thing 2 ) 2110cc
1971 Transporter (Pickle) 1914cc
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine) 1776cc
1973 Adventurewagen Baja Bus (Clyde) 3.4L
1970 Formula Vee Beetle 2276cc

I identify as: “A Pissed Old GI ”
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastmc25 wrote:
theizzardking wrote:
Antonio Trejo wrote:
[

I don't know..... but Antonio has come through for me on several parts.......... he is the one i got my grill's from and a couple of other items .... very nice to do business with.... Smile

I'd love to have one of those factory watercooled bus's , lower it and do a W8 Vw conversion..... Wow that would be sweet.......... with a full camper package too..... Cool

i sssoooo know what you mean it might even be worth the divorce and the house it would cost me. lol
RIOMX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theizzardking wrote:
it might even be worth the divorce

Somehow, I think you know that's probably not true Smile

Do you know how hard it would be to find another girl that's into helping her husband work on VWs?

Yeah, that's what I thought Very Happy
theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah we both know i can't do better Cool Laughing
fstbckgt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buses in the 70s were barely legal, isnt that why they had to be called staion wagons? to get around US standards
Lostnfound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got me curious. I found lots of info at the following link. Maybe it can help some of you guys.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no that is not why they were called station wagons. The 73-up Bus was actually quite safe, for its day, in a crash. Obviously standards have changed since those days, but the bus at the time met the standards for passenger cars. The reason they were called Station Wagons was to avoid a tax or tariff placed on imported commercial vehicles by the USA. I think it was 25%. This is why Subaru placed rear jump seats in the BRAT as well, i am pretty certain. This is also why VW ceased selling pickups and Panel Vans in the USA after 73 except for special orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: EPA and DOT sticker Reply with quote

greenbus pilot wrote:
69doublecab wrote:
jaredmarcucci wrote:
I apologize if my posts came across as gloating. That certainly is not my intention.

I'd say you were extremely lucky. I know Overland brought in about 6 late 80's double cabs from Brazil back in about 1988. They brought them in containers and somewhat taken apart, then reassembled them and got titles somehow.
Al

You know, I remember seeing 3 brand new Brazilian Busses, possibly double cab, I can't remember, for sale (?) at MoFoCo, in Milwaukee, around 1990-ish. I asked, they said they were brought in as parts, reassembled, and you cannot "legally" title or drive on the street. Now, I bet some enterprising person is driving at least one of those things around. They had a price of $30,000 each on them. Why would you pay that kind of cash and not be able to drive it to Dairy Queen? Confused

I still want one. Just one. Rolling Eyes

I think this 86 DC is one of them. Belongs to a friend.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: