Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because this is so different and horrible:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread I know but a good read. Still dreaming of driving that Brazilian bay in the USA. When my politically minded friends go on a rant I question that if this is the "Land of the Free" - why can't I just buy whatever vehicle I want to buy from anywhere in the world - like a Brazilian Bay?

Safety regs I'm told. Tell me a motorcycle is safe and would pass a crash test... Wink I don't care if someone rides a motorcycle or rides w/o a helmet. Live and let live. Air pollution - and a baywindow would be dirtier than that smoky hot rod pickup I followed to work today.

Educate people and let them make their own choices.

Last edited by Busbodger on Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
bmata1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: NEED HELP IMPORT Reply with quote

I have a customer that has purchased a Last Edition Kombi from Brazil. It is currently awaiting to be shipped pending the outcome of the titling situation here in the US. The vehicle just needs to be titled here in the US and then it will be exported to New Zealand where it will find its final resting place in a museum. The reason for the title here in the states is for ease of entry into New Zealand.
Aville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is reviving an old topic but I thought this was interesting. It looks like it is possible to import T2's into the U.S. that are 1990 or older. Not sure if anyone has looked into it but my interest is definitely peaked. Here is a link to one company in California but I'm sure there are many more. http://www.importavehicle.com/3.aspx

'71 tin top
'91 tin top
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, anything more than 25 years old is importable. All it takes is money...
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: What about something under 25 years Reply with quote

Hey guys,

In a few months I will be giving away my Brazilian VW Kombi (1992) and I am looking into ways that it could be imported to the USA. It is still a couple years short of the 25 yr limit.

If anyone has experience of doing this in any way other than knowing a high ranking government official I would really like to hear from you.

One option I am considering is importing it as a "Show and Display" vehicle which would limit my beloved adventure vehicle to an annual limit of 2500 miles for a couple of years but could be registered as a normal vehicle after that.

Any input or comments appreciated Smile

(PS = hope I am not hijacking - nice Brazilian Bus at the top of this thread btw, looks a little different to mine)

World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BunnyX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if this vehicle is street legal? It's been on the market for a few months so I suspect it is NOT street legal

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5554953473.html

Thanks Smile
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

BunnyX wrote:
Can anyone tell me if this vehicle is street legal? It's been on the market for a few months so I suspect it is NOT street legal

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5554953473.html

Thanks Smile

As long as you get the appropriate paperwork, there's no reason I'm aware of that you couldn't title and register it in any state other than California (smog)

That said, while it's cool as hell the asking price of $22k is a bit much IMHO. I've seen Syncro Westfalias for not much more than that...
BunnyX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

Thanks Smile
Quote:

As long as you get the appropriate paperwork, there's no reason I'm aware of that you couldn't title and register it in any state other than California (smog)

That said, while it's cool as hell the asking price of $22k is a bit much IMHO. I've seen Syncro Westfalias for not much more than that...

I am new at this, but I did think the price was a bit high. I do not know if the seller is firm on the price. What do you think a reasonable offer would be?

Thanks for your time and advice. Smile
lolight70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

Just curious
What gearboxes are these late buses using?
4 speed? 3 ribs?
Never seen one being sold
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

My understanding is that they used the 091 six-rib through the end of Mexican-market production (2001? 2003?), and sometime between then and 2006 they switched to using the Type 1 (Beetle) transaxle, even after the Brazilian-market Kombi went water-cooled with the 1.4L TotalFlex engine.
bakkus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

Hey, another forum member with a SA watercooled Kombi.
I've got one myself, right now sitting in Puerto Escondido, but I'll be driving it up to Mexico City in a week.

Let me know if y'all want photos of details (mine has some stuff missing, tho - wish my interior looked as good as yours).
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

BunnyX wrote:
Thanks Smile
Quote:

I am new at this, but I did think the price was a bit high. I do not know if the seller is firm on the price. What do you think a reasonable offer would be?

Thanks for your time and advice. Smile

Dude price don't matter. If you want it and are not having a problem spending 22k on it then do it. Price is kinda relative and the more people get in your head, the less likely you'll buy one and enjoy it. I've never seen that bus around. Its pretty cool imho.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skullbag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

Have been looking through classifieds in mexico and finding the newer T2's. Was initially looking for a TDI eurovan, but on reading all the info on importation, i guess that wouldn't work. Although, the T2's if 25 years old, should be able to be imported. I saw one sell on craigslist in the last few weeks in seattle. was listed at $22k. Way cheaper in mexico. And the 80's 90's models are water cooled, AC, heat etc. Seems like it would be awesome. I just can't figure out why no one else is doing it....
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

I've looked at them on MercadoLibre a few times now and then.

A big part of why I haven't done anything like that is that I don't speak Spanish! ha ha

So going down and getting the thing would be a challenge.

I'm not sure that they have either heat or AC though. However, since the VW 1.8 block was the same all over, one could probably collect the parts to install either/or.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ciaran19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

Hey man,

Found this very interesting.. I'm actually attempting to export a Mexican Kombi to New Zealand but running into trouble finding an example of a VIN number on these old Kombi's to see if it's going to comply with strict New Zealand vehicle import regulations.

Any of you knowledgable people have an example of what a pre-1990 Puebla (Mexican) Kombi VIN number might look like?

Photo would be awesome if anyones sitting on one right now.

Thanks!
Ciaran
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

ciaran19 wrote:
Hey man,

Found this very interesting.. I'm actually attempting to export a Mexican Kombi to New Zealand but running into trouble finding an example of a VIN number on these old Kombi's to see if it's going to comply with strict New Zealand vehicle import regulations.

Any of you knowledgable people have an example of what a pre-1990 Puebla (Mexican) Kombi VIN number might look like?

Photo would be awesome if anyones sitting on one right now.

Thanks!
Ciaran

Antonio would be the guy to ask: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14183

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

I spent all afternoon looking at Mexican & Brazilian Bay Buses and don't think I see a single thing indicating that there is any heat in any of them. Look at the dash, and where's the heat control? Nothing.
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW Brazilian Kombi bus for the Mexico market Reply with quote

and if you look below these cars, there is no heat tube (and holes for that) from the rear to the front:

the 1998 WOB Museum car:

These cars imported to Germany (only a few) require an auxiliary heating system for any registration... beside solving other problems like the untested engine exhausts etc.

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: